Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My Very First Baptism

misternikko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Very First Baptism

Had the opportunity to shoot my very first Baptism last weekend. It was a truly humbling experience for me to photograph their first child's Baptism.

Sorry for the external link. Liam's Baptism from beginning to end. I hope you guys like it!

http://www.azanotography.com/marshall-baptism

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:33 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Very First Baptism

Solid shooting as usual, Nikko. You certainly appear to have documented the day thoroughly.

I suggest you be more aggressive in your culling - particularly for posting on your site. Better to show 10 killer shots than a massive dump of your memory card. You even threw one in there of what I assume is one of the grandmothers with a not-so-great expression on her face.

I know the "film-like" processing with the pulled-back shadows and highlights is popular right now and I have seen you use that processing effectively. For this set though, the processing just seems to dull-down the event and give me a vibe of style taking precedence over substance. I do have a bit of a bias against this type of processing and maybe it's just that or maybe the lighting you had inside the church.

You took and presented a ton of images but I think you may have actually missed an opportunity: some close-ups of the baby's face, hands, and feet.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:21 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Very First Baptism

You are completely right, I did forget to shoot those little things (hands, feet, etc) mostly because I have never shot a baptism before. Im also used to shooting "people" and is probably the reason I missed all the shots of the "baby". I have made a note of if in the event that I shoot another. Thanks for pointing that out~!

I fully intend on culling down the set a bit more this weekend. The link I shared here was the same link I sent to the family. They loved that family members who were not able to attend could experience the day just as they did. I figure a week will be enough time, then Ill slim it down to a select few Thanks again for pointing that out~

As far as the processing goes, I am trying it out lol. I actually thought about doing my usual type of processing however it was just too many photos for that level of detail. I must have taken more than 1000 where typical during a portrait session I do 300.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out eyeball, I appreciate it

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:56 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Very First Baptism

Great stuff - I agree that you could tighten things up a bit and present fewer total images - that woudl have mor impact.

I actually really liked the opening, scene-setting shots of the church a lot. Solid coverage of the even itself and some really nice portraitrure.

Hard to offer crit with so many unnumbered images, but good stuf overall!

Edit: corrected God-Awful spelling!

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 07:11 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:55 PM

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Very First Baptism

looks like you picked "the best" to show. Try and go one step further and select "the best of the best". Nice job.
Personally don't care for the opening shot.....Creatively I get it, but most might have a tendency to ask why is the first photo so blurry....imho, which some say does not count for much.
Iron sharpens iron

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:47 PM
John-Tolentino
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Very First Baptism

really great coverage

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:55 AM
misternikko
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Very First Baptism

Thanks to all for looking, I really appreciate it and sorry for making you all go to an external link. As soon as Friday rolls around (1 week from submittal) I will take down that page and regroup with a much smaller set as intended originally for my web page Thank you for pointing that out however as it will surely make me even more selective than I probably would have been.

Thanks guys~!

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:14 PM
crabcakes
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Very First Baptism

What a wonderful set. Everything is beautifully documented. While the pros are probably right about culling the best of the best, I for one, really enjoy seeing all of them very much! I like how you have each set of grandparents alone with the baby, and I am in awe of how you must get so many people to be cooperative for so many shots!

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password