Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back w...

foch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

3 months ago I sent my 1d Mark II N for a shutter repair at Irvine Canon Center. It went in with a failed shutter replacement. A couple of weeks later I received an email saying that my low pass filter was scratched and need to be replaced. I didn't believe so because I inspected my camera images before I sent it off. I had a few exchange conversation with the supervisor in Customer Service. He said the scratches was there before I sent it in and maybe the failed shutter caused them. I refused the repair order and they sent my camera back with no repair done.

Camera was sealed with cap and bubble wrap when I shipped it.

Am I missing something here?

I have attached a few pictures of my last frames before I sent it in and after. Any advice input to proceed would be helpful.

BEFORE

AFTER

If you missed it I shot this frame on white paper.

Original Image after shutter failed

Over Layed with AFTER camera was returned from Canon Repair Center with scratched sensor.

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:43 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

So, you are saying that sequentially, you have numbered photos from right before you sent the body in that show now marks, and they next sequential photos show the marks after being in Canon's possession?

If that is the case, make a CD with those images and a letter explaining the situation proving the marks happened while at Canon. Canon should then take care of the problem for you. Don't waste time -- return the body right away with the CD and cover letter.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:56 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

Canon screwed up. call them.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:08 PM
foch

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

I do have the sequence and photo data available. I assume Canon would had recorded and documented how many shutter count was on the camera when they received the camera. I think it is quite obvious but the question is how is Canon going to handle this. The customer supervisor was very rude about this last time we talked. He question how would I know how many shutter count is on my camera because only Canon has special software to determine shutter counts.

I use two online resource to check shutter count. (http://www.foxbat.me.uk/2.0/index.php#/1dcount and http://www.camerashuttercount.com/)

This image was number 22,729. Last frame before I sent camera (yup 22,000 shutter count only)

This image below was 22,746. 1 of 5 frame AFTER the camera was returned.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:49 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

I hope they do the right thing and replace this for you.

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

They have a department at corporate that deals with these problems. You must call back and escalate the matter. You should then be contacted by corporate and they will assign a person just to your case. You then get daily updates from this person until it is settled.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

foch -- Thanks for the added info. I hope Canon will help get it fixed.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Ed Porter
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

I sent a lens to Canon New Jersey with an intermittent problem which they repaired, well attempted to repair. They never could replicate the problem that appeared only in cold weather and took my word (and images) as proof. After three attempts to repair, they sent me a new lens for replacement of my 18 month old one. Canon will do right with you, you just have to be persistent and work with them. Good luck!

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM
foch

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I contacted Service Customer Service today and again I was patched through to another standoffish supervisor. He said for me to send it back with my images and explanation. Will keep you guys posted, thanks.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:53 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sent my Canon 1d Mark II N for shutter repair came back with scratch Low Pass Filter

I had a bad first experience when I had to send my original 1D in for service early in 2002 shortly after I purchased it. The supervisor who I dealt with retired shortly after I sent my camera in. That supervisor told me I had a corroded sensor and it would not be covered under warranty. After paying 5 grand for a camera that was less than 2 months old I questioned how that could be. So after arguing with the supervisor I called the dealer I bought it from.

My dealer told me to refuse the repair and have the camera returned. The dealer got the local Canon Rep involved the day I called them and I had a new 1D on my porch the next morning. Of course I returned the one I sent in for repair back to the dealer as soon as I got it back.

Since that initial experience, the service I have received from Canon has been Stellar. Of course I purchased a lot more equipment from my dealer and continue to do business with them today.

What I am trying to say is that you should not give up. Stay calm but maintain your position especially if you have proof. If you still get nowhere, find out who to call at the Canon home office in the US. If that means calling the east coast then do it and get someone at headquarters in the us involved.

Jason

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:10 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password