New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

I have been using 1DX more-or-less continuously for almost 3 months now, and the camera has just over 20,000 actuations.

What I plan to do tomorrow is pull out my old and trusty 1DMkIIN and shoot the same type of targets using the same lens, as I have done with 1DX today.

I'd like to try to assess the handicap which the old camera should introduce into Servo AF tracking. Will there be a readily discernible handicap, and will it manifest itself in the keeper rate ?

This is a reversal of the usual gear evaluation method we use: when we get an updated/upgraded camera or lens we generally start using it full time, and we look at performance gains we've made with it.
What I'd like to do now is look at the performance loss by going backwards, i.e., downgrade the camera I use.

If any 1DX owners would like to join me in this reverse 1DX AF evaluation, we could compare our notes in this thread. Obviously, you need to have an older 1D camera such as 1DMkIV, 1DMkIII, 1DsMkIII, etc.

This evaluation should really address the Servo AF performance only, as I believe all other issues, such as high ISO performance, are pretty much clear cut.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:13 PM
John--G
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

Been there and done that with my 1D-X compared to my MkIV bodies. No comparison. 1D-X is in a different league. I probably have 100,000 shots on my 1D-X in the last 6 months.

There's no point is comparing older bodies as the MkIV was the next best body AF wise - it continues to go downhill from there.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:41 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

yep bought a 1DX.. sold my 1DIV 3 weeks later..

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:46 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

I found the AF tracking of the 1DX and 1D4 very close with subjects coming directly at them or away from them. However, the 1DX is much better at tracking more random type of movements perpendicular to the lens. It's also much better at tracking hockey players through the glass. I'm still tweaking the case settings so I believe there is more room for improvement as well.

I was not going to sell my 1D4 when I first got my 1DX but I did end up doing it a couple weeks ago. The key for me was that the high ISO performance was so good that I found myself able to use a little smaller aperture (f3.2-3.5 instead of 2.8) and that gave me a greater margin of error on a lot of my shots. So while I understand that you want to keep the discussion related to AF tracking just remember that the two can be interwined.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:27 PM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

I'd be interested to see how it performs with the 85L in Servo AF tracking, especially in lowlight. Obviously taking into consideration the inherent lack of speed of the 85L once locked.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

Sorry Peter. I only keep old lenses...

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:47 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

anthonyket wrote:
I'd be interested to see how it performs with the 85L in Servo AF tracking, especially in lowlight. Obviously taking into consideration the inherent lack of speed of the 85L once locked.

+1, love to see what AF news for all fast primer such as 24L,35L,50L and 85L. These are good info to help me to pick 1DX up in much later time Thank you , Peter.

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone where I was constantly changing bodies and lenses. It was the first time since purchasing the 1dx that I used my mk4 to any great extent. I was swapping the 800, 500 and 70-300L between the 1dx and mk4. The 1dx was clearly better at tracking, acquiring and holding focus against confusing backgrounds. It really is a large step forward.

Tim

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:57 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

That's ridiculous. In a good way Peter.

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

Wow, Peter. That honker vamoosed pretty fast!

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:58 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

Well there is no need for me to test this. I’ve been shooting Sandhill Cranes for 2 months now with a 1DX. I previously shot them with a 1DsII ( for 2 years ) and I can say it’s way better. I usually shoot my 500 + 1.4xIII for these guys and I think it’s much more responsive, acquires focus quicker and much better at tracking. I come home with more in focus shots now. My 1DsII had some trouble with these head on shots. The 1DX has no problem with them.

http://www.gmlindsay.com/Nature-1/Wildlife/i-9whQd4w/1/XL/B45P1110-XL.jpg

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestion to 1DX owners

anthonyket wrote:

The 1Dx turned my 85L II into a new lens. Significantly faster and more accurate AF. Ai-Servo works very well although the first test I did was clearly too dark for it to perform well shooting gulls and pelicans at the end of our pier. I'll give it another go in daylight. (photos attached)

Pelicans which are a bit easier to shoot than snipe, but passing in a 15 to 20 knot wind withing 20 to 40 ft. nonetheless.
85 f/1.2 LII, 1Dx jpg direct from camera, minor exposure anjustment, nothing else.
3 of about 60 photos f/4 ISO 200 1/1000 to 1/2500, Ai-Servo centre with surrounding points.

about 90% keepers which is significantly better than the keeper rate with my 1D4 and 70-200 f/2.8 MkII

(previous photos were edited on uncalibrated office computer replaced with these)

Ai AF held focus from near head on to this shot, an 85L isn't supposed to be able to do this

AF held focus as bird approached head on and veered off here

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.