New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Tareq
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Hello again,

I came back from one shop with a new body to my list.

I didn't open the box yet here at home, but as first glance in the shop, the box seems was opened before, the manual is not original at all, it is a photocopy printed out, i don't know what else there i didn't check, i told him don't take everything out, only the body and i assure the letter X is there. On my way back, a salesman called me and told me there is the eye-cup missing, i don't know what he means, but shouldn't that be on the body or at least it is inside the box? What's going on?

How can i be sure now that this body is new BRAND NEW? before i open the box i want to know your opinions about it.

How can i make sure about the shutter counts so at least to feel this body is really new and not used before or opened or even for demo, any clue?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Obviously, at best, its a camera that came from a different country, and a new manual was printed out. The eye cup is packed separately from the body on some cameras, if not all.

It it a 1D X? You can check the status screen and find out if its been used, it displays the number of actuations.

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

scalesusa wrote:
Obviously, at best, its a camera that came from a different country, and a new manual was printed out. The eye cup is packed separately from the body on some cameras, if not all.

It it a 1D X? You can check the status screen and find out if its been used, it displays the number of actuations.

Yes, it is a 1DX.

Well, this is one thing that i am not sure about, the body is shining polished, the smell is exactly same as the new car from inside when you first test it or buy it as first owner, no finger prints even it is difficult to tell on that body, the LCD is clean no dust at all and no smudges and no finger prints, the body doesn't show signs easily anyway, is that mean that the body is not used? Maybe it was only taken out to be shown for customers and returned back to box and no one bought it yet? the eye piece maybe dropped in the shop because we took few accessories out to get the body out, the plastic bag of eye piece and something else wasn't sealed, so maybe dropped there by fault, the salesman called me to come back and take it anytime, i can buy new if i want or if he replaced it and i can't prove it is a new eye piece dropped, all what i am worry and care about is the body itself.

Should i open it and check the LCD and the display? I was thinking to use one of those shutter count software to checkout but i don't know any good to use and accurate.

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:51 PM
mozza_m

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Where did you get it in the UAE? Was it a reputable store? Do they have a return policy?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

mozza_m wrote:
Where did you get it in the UAE? Was it a reputable store? Do they have a return policy?

I got it from one shop or store in Dubai, bazaar area near the creek.
I don't think it is a reputable store, but it give very good prices, and i feel it is by luck if you get the product very new.
About the return policy i am not sure, there is no warranty written on the bill or the receipt, but i have to read again, maybe there is something about return policy.

I called the shop again and told them about it, i told them i want another box that is not open at all or everything is sealed, they said ok, i can return that one, but how can i know that even that another box even everything is sealed that is new? The seal can be opened and then seal again without much difference, so maybe this time i should take it and don't care about how much new it is if sealed.

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:43 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Ok, here is the first shot or RAW file i did with 1DX, can you find the actuation from it?

BN7R0001.CR2

Also attached a link of the EOSCount screenshot, it seems maybe it is inaccurate, but if it is accurate, do you think that 17 shutters is too much for a new body? I did the the shot 18 with the file above, but the serial number didn't appear at all, only that number 14 which is wrong and even there is no 14 within the serial number, what do you think?

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:13 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

my guess is that you were had. sounds like a refurb/greymarket

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

timbop wrote:
my guess is that you were had. sounds like a refurb/greymarket

I see.

Well, i can't comment about my feeling, but i really want when did they had this new camera for refurb? Also how does this gray market brought me a new camera? How much difference this camera will be different than the authorized one?

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Based on the photo copied manual, it sounds like a gray market camera. These cameras are exactly the same as cameras that were intended for your region, but there could be an issue with warranty. I don't know how it works in the UAE, but here in the US, some dealers will import cameras from other regions based on foreign currency exchange rates. They can offer the camera at a lower price because of this, but your local Canon service center is not obligated to honor the warranty. There is a price to be paid for what you give up when you buy a gray market camera.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

I understand that.

In all cases, i just got another body, so i will keep that until it is not working or have issues then i will see what i will do, that $1000 difference i can put it on the service from the dealer, so i don't care if i pay about $300-400 for service, at the end those bodies are robust enough to live strong for long time, all my 1 series bodies before that working great, only 1Ds3 had a shutter failure before and i bought it from one online store, i paid the repair, and still it was much cheaper than getting the same body from the authorized dealer in my area, the box came with everything sealed and in place, so i always think that if the difference is about $800-1200 then i buy it cheap and if it will have an issue i can send it for service, since that service for my 1Ds3 in 2008 i never saw any issue, and the warranty is only 1 year in my country, means they take $800-1000 more only to keep our minds to believe they will service our bodies within this 1 year, i never used the warranty once with 7 bodies and 15 lenses of Canon so far.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Hi, Tareq old son.

It looks to me that you might have got a camera that was....
(1) used,
(2) returned, or
(3) stolen.

You have to read the number of actuations on the camera itself.......there is a menu option on 1DX which tells you how many cycles the camera has gone thru.

If the camera works OK, and the shutter actuation is < 1000 or so, and you have saved something like $1,000, then you may wish to keep it.

1DX is pretty good for shooting SAQR.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

PetKal wrote:
Hi, Tareq old son.

It looks to me that you might have got a camera that was....
(1) used,
(2) returned, or
(3) stolen.

You have to read the number of actuations on the camera itself.......there is a menu option on 1DX which tells you how many cycles the camera has gone thru.

If the camera works OK, and the shutter actuation is < 1000 or so, and you have saved something like $1,000, then you may wish to keep it.

1DX is pretty good for shooting SAQR.

Hey daddy Pete,

How are you? Long time no posts.

Well, the menu showed <1000, i used EOScount and it showed 18 counts, i did shoot one frame so it should be 17, but doesn't matter much, that frame was numbered as xxx..001, so i guessed it is new.

I did test it yesterday in the soccer game, super fun and amazing.

I hope to find SAQRs around here to shoot with 1DX

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

Very good, Tareq, so the camera looks like a keeper. Congratulations.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:50 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Second Upgrade this year....but something weird

PetKal wrote:
Very good, Tareq, so the camera looks like a keeper. Congratulations.

It is, i also took out my 1D3 with 70-200 2.8IS mkII which i bought 2 weeks ago or a bit more and i didn't use it longer than 10 minutes, i was blown away with 1DX + 300mm 2.8IS, wish to have 400mm at least without using TCs with 300.

Nov 20, 2012 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.