Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

Is there any way to visually check tear and wear on a DSLR and a lens that's only been used for excessive video ?

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

If its been used for video only (or at least mostly) then the shutter is going to have seen very few actuations compared to a well used stills cam.
And as for lenses well again I would think things would not be used as much. Maybe if its an IS lens then the IS unit will have seen much longer use than for just stills shooting .

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:25 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

Bring a laptop and a card reader and check for dead pixels. They are usually either single red pixels or entire column of pixel that show up best in low light (ie shoot a few with the lens cap on). Check the Jpeg and the raw because sometimes Adobe' software will map out the dead pixels automatically.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:38 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

So, you could have a camera with 20 shutter actuations and a lens with a 2011 or 2012 lens code that has had a lot of wear and tear on the IS as well as the AF servos but neither one shows wear and tear.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

I don't think most serious video shooters use AF (too painfully slow). I'm not a serious video shooter and I immediately gave up using AF for video on my 5D2/7D cameras. Also, if they use a tripod most of the time, the IS unit won't see much use either.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:04 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

Jabberwockt wrote:
Bring a laptop and a card reader and check for dead pixels. They are usually either single red pixels or entire column of pixel that show up best in low light (ie shoot a few with the lens cap on).

+1

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:34 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

What if you're buying used gear on the Internet and bringing a laptop is out of the question, should we ask for a "dead pixel count" ??

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:16 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tear & wear on DSLR and lens used for video only.

jaybird555 wrote:
What if you're buying used gear on the Internet and bringing a laptop is out of the question, should we ask for a "dead pixel count" ??

You need:
1) RAW black frames for ISO (100, 800, 6400) range plus sky shot at f22 to check its sensor.
2) Good to have shutter speed check at 1/4000 and 1/8000.
3) AWB shot in the day light
4) Camera itself portrait and its age by serial number

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password