Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Edited on Nov 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cactus WIP

Well, to be honest ... this is one is gong to be a rather prickly subject.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cactus WIP

I have nothing constructive to say negative or positive. This is what I call a partial and I struggle with that style as I do with B&W.

I just hate to see a post ignored so I am just saying why I can't offer anything.

But this just begs the question, whats your point :-)

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cactus WIP

May not be a keeper, which is fine. I need the feedback. Appreciate your both responding.
The point?

Graphic quality, effective use of pattern. Feedback about the image in general, how engaging, effective it is, processing suggestions.

Scott

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cactus WIP

Well, you know my mantra ... "What's the point?"

Sorry, couldn't resist ... let me see if I can come up with some good pointers for this one.

Okay, seriously now:

I'm diggin' the pattern & lines and subject perspective that brings the viewer "up close & personal" ... but the processing is "Hmmm, I'm not quite sure ... will have to give it some thought provoking consideration."

Toss it in a different frame or two ... maybe classic black or chiseled gray ... and see how if it presents differently.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cactus WIP

If anyone wants to play with the OOC, let me know.
Scott

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cactus WIP

I find B&W conversions to be very difficult. I am certainly not going to try to improve on this; however, I like to see some pure blacks, pure whites and mostly midtones. This seems just a bit harsh and I would like to see more midtones. Printing B&W files is a major pain. Most printers and printing services seem to struggle with getting decent tones. I would guess this will appear even more contrasty and harsher when printed.

Finally, I think this is an ok image, but nothing special. If it was mine, I would probably just leave it in my achives with my hundreds of other not so special cactus images.

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:13 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cactus WIP

Ouch! I understand the dilemma. Reminds me a bit of some experiments I did, back in the day with pseudo solarization in the darkroom. It's on the difficult edge of like but not quite there and it's difficult to say why. The upper portion has some processing problems. Some more gamma bump may help, but my intuition says the real problem is selection/composition.

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cactus WIP

Jim,
I am with you on "OK image" not quite getting to the delete category but...
Karen,
It makes sense that it reminds you of pseudo solarization in the darkroom. Solarization filter in CEP 4 and other tweak.

I usually prefer not to mention defects I see first, in order to see if others notice them and find them to be an issue. One problem was some very hot spots on the upper right and along the cactus upper left. I did some burning but not happy with the results.

Scott

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.