Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Whatcha gonna do? A long exposure or stacks? I am trying to get motivated.

Peak would be around 6:00 AM here, which is doable even for the incurably lazy.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:07 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

It is raining here.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:11 AM
JB Goessman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

I'd like to, but I'd probably drown it's raining so hard here in the PNW. I'd do stacks to get pin point background.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Heavy overcast, here.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:16 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

It's supposed to be clear here. I just can't think of any good foreground subjects to the east. Cuz I like to sleep in.

ETA: well, sh** I just thought of one. Nice rock arch out in the NM desert about 17 miles away.

Should I stay or should I go?

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:38 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Clear skies for the first time in what seems like weeks here in the Mid-Atlantic so I'm going to try my luck tonight. Michelle, you're fortunate to have an interesting foreground subject, so give it a shot! Only thing to my east is an ocean...

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:01 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

The ocean will be beautiful! Are you shooting your 24-70?? I thought about heading to an alpine lake to shoot, with a nice view of Sharkstooth Peak in the background. Decisions!

I am going to head out in a bit and try shooting a stack at a windmill a couple of miles east, just to re-remember how to do them.

Maybe I'll get lucky and catch a shooting star on my test run. And can therefore sleep in!

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:04 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Wow, alpine lakes, windmills, rock formations... the possibilities are endless!

Tonight will be the christening of the new 24-70, so I have high hopes for Mother Nature to come through with a nice show.

A practice run sounds like a good idea.. guess I should get bundled up and head out for a few snaps.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:14 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Let me know how your test run goes. I have my camera setup & programmed (I think, 5D3 is kinda new to me), shutter remote programmed, lens has been checked for infinity focus this afternoon (OM21/3.5)... Spotlight to try light painting foreground for a frame or so. Tripod. I'm sure I'm missing something. Guess I'll find out in a few.

OH, better brew up something warm to take with.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:20 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #10 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

If it weren't pouring here, I'd set my automatic-photo-taking-gizmo to take 15 second exposures (longer than that and you're going to get star trails, which you may not want). And have it take continuously until the battery ran out, or it got light, whichever came first. I'd start an hour or so before peak (or three hours before dawn, whichever came first).

I'd try ISO 3200; might need 6400 at that short exposure. A test exposure or two will tell.

I'd use my widest lens (16-35 f/2.8 II) at f/3.2. You'll be surprised how little of the sky even 24mm will get, and you want as much sky as possible.

The Milky Way makes a good background, if your FOV is wide enough.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Hope you guys had better luck than I did... just a couple of very faint captures. Never realized just how hard it is to escape all the light pollution!

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:33 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

I am just heading out (4 a.m. here). Needed a sec. to make a cup of tea before walking out the door.

Wish I had an astrotrac, but for now it's gonna be star trails!

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Totally not worth it for the photos!! Someone was actually parked at the windmill, so I went for a solitary tree in a field. Glad I didn't drive further. I put one set of the photos into startrails to see if I missed seeing some asteroids on initial inspection... Nope.

On the equipment side, 5D3 and the new Satechi remote worked flawlessly together. OM21 seems adequate, though a 14 Samyang would have been better.

It was really cool staying out and watching the shooting stars, though. Definitely saw more shooting across the sky than the camera did, and it was truly lovely.

And now I'm finally getting warm again (mental note for next time: BRANDY). Wish I had some now, all I have is tequila and it's FAR too early for that!!

Great fun!

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:16 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Nice work! I'd say that was well worth it. Agreed on the Samyang 14, I've been trying to pick one up on the B/S Board for a while without any luck. I only saw one really bright shooting star, and of course it was out of the FOV of my camera

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:52 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #15 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

I'm looking at the Geminids as an opportunity to photo a meteor shower. The conditions seem awfully good for it. Peak starts around 6:30PM, New Moon, and 5x the rate of the Leonids.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:00 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Cool, I'm game for the Geminids! Maybe I can find a 14 by then.

This single image is OK, it actually has 5, but I cropped two really faint ones out in favor of a larger view of the brighter three.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #17 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Nice!

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:44 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Michelle,

#2 is really nice! The tree in the foreground really adds to the image.

Wes N.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:09 PM
johnsarra
• •
p.1 #19 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Clouded out near where I live, White Rock, NM. Supposed to be Ok tonight.

Check clear sky conditions for Durango by navagating to Colorado and then Durango or near Durango: http://cleardarksky.com/csk/index.html

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:32 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Anyone shooting Leonids tonight?

Michelle.....what was your settings on the first one??

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password