Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · "C-stand, complete"?

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "C-stand, complete"?

A truly beginner question for y'all... I've just finished Joe McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries" and he often mentions the need for a "C-stand, complete". Unfortunately, while I understand the basic description he's giving, I'm not being very successful in pinning down the difference between a complete one and an "incomplete" one, if you will.

So, what's a "C-stand, complete"? And what should I be looking for if: (a) I want to buy two or three of them, (b) my needs are fairly simple, but (c) I prefer to buy high-quality products that will last a long time under normal use?

Thanks for any advice or pointers.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "C-stand, complete"?

A C-stand can be used (and sold) with or without a grip arm. For the purposes of still lighting, the grip arm serves as a sort of light-duty boom and multi-axis adjustment mechanism. With the arm is complete, without it is incomplete.

If you want something that will follow you to the ends of the earth, Matthews is a pretty safe bet. And reasonably priced. And made in the USA.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "C-stand, complete"?

Hey, thanks. Wonderful when ignorance is so quickly cured.

So, something like THIS would be a good choice?

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "C-stand, complete"?

A quick follow-up as I do more reading: what's the benefit of a turtle base? If I'm understanding correctly, it's removable and allows more flexibility in placement of the stand. Anything else? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:48 AM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "C-stand, complete"?

There are two types of bases for C stands. One that detaches and one that has a leg that will slide up or down independently of the other legs. This allows it to be placed on uneven ground, stairs, etc. The turtle base is the removable version and it saves space when packing it for travel.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:02 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "C-stand, complete"?

Beautiful. OK, last question because I can't find it in any of the product listings: what's on the end of the grip arm? Standard tripod screw? Or do I need to buy the right "holder"? Or what?

I'm planning to use these mostly for placing Nikon speedlights and/or modifiers, if that helps.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:30 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "C-stand, complete"?

The arm ends with a grip head (aka knuckle) which operates like a small vise. Two sizes of rod can be gripped through the respective channels. Image from B&H:

To attach a smaller studio light, grip a bare baby pin like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33203-REG/Matthews_429599_6_Pin_with_Collar.html

I don't often bother with speedlights but, in a pinch, Manfrotto has many metal objects with male 3/8" screws that can be gripped. I use a piece from the superclamp apparatus:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546381-REG/Manfrotto_036_38_036_38_Standard_Stud_with.html

Even better would be something similar with a platform:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554369-REG/Manfrotto_296_296_Photo_Clamp_with.html

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

xtremediver
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "C-stand, complete"?

www.Kupogrip.com watch their videos for excellent explanation of their c-stands and accessories at a more reasonable price than Matthew's, etc. Great in or out of the studio.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "C-stand, complete"?

Matthews also makes a spring loaded base which I really like when dragging the stands around. I always buy "complete" 40/40 versions; 40" risers and 40 inch arms with a grip head. Use the arm with a beauty dish and deep octa. perfect.

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "C-stand, complete"?

Thanks, Rico, I'll go through those videos tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone else, too. I have two black Matthews 40/40 complete C-stands incoming from Adorama now. As soon as those come in, I'll start playing around with them and seeing where to target my ignorance next.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:46 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "C-stand, complete"?

You will fall in love with C stands!

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "C-stand, complete"?

Don't forget to get a couple of sandbags to support the stand when your light and modifier are out on the arm. (Be sure not to order sand bags filled; if you order online, get them empty or the shipping will kill you.) Here's the link from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sandbags-Weight-Bags/ci/1373/N/4289244502

Steve

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:29 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "C-stand, complete"?

Good point.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:46 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password