Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fastest Card Reader

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fastest Card Reader

I have a fairly new Macbook Pro - 1 year old. It has firewire and USB2.. i'm not sure it doesn't also have usb3, but I'm not sure.

What is the fastest card reader - sd cards, but I wouldn't mind a reader that can also do CF cards even though I don't currently use them.

Thanks

B

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Fastest Card Reader

The USB 3.0 ports usually incorporate blue plastic rather than the black used for USB 2.0.

The Lexar USB 3.0 UDMA 7 dual-slot reader is a good choice in that case.
http://www.adorama.com/ILXPU3DSRWC7.html?gclid=CLjX84bj1LMCFSpnOgodow4AzQ

EBH

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM
tived
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Fastest Card Reader

i'll secod the lexar as well.
i was very happy with my Sandisk firewie 800 CF only

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:09 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #4 · Fastest Card Reader

Mac users should try firewire reader, it's usually faster than USB.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Fastest Card Reader

It is faster than USB 2.0, but not as fast as USB 3.0.

EBH

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:13 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · Fastest Card Reader

i Couldnt find a firewire reader locally. Will have to order.

Thanks

B

May 15, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fastest Card Reader

My FW2 card reader is significantly faster than my USB2 reader. However it was painfully pricy compared to USB2/3.

May 16, 2013 at 06:49 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · Fastest Card Reader

Gochugogi wrote:
My FW2 card reader is significantly faster than my USB2 reader. However it was painfully pricy compared to USB2/3.

Do you have information on this reader? Brand/model name?

B

May 16, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Fastest Card Reader

firewire is speedily going in to the annals of history in consumer goods. finding one these days maybe an exercise in futility.

May 16, 2013 at 06:58 PM
trilce84
• •
p.1 #10 · Fastest Card Reader

Haven't seen a fireware in while around here indeed.

May 16, 2013 at 07:11 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #11 · Fastest Card Reader

Faster than my firewire (so glad I picked up an extra sandisk firewire 800 reader a few years ago!) is the sonnet TB adapter with a double PCI compact flash reader but I think they may be discontinued also. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/qiothunderbolt.html

May 16, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Fastest Card Reader

Several FW readers on Amazon albeit FW400. There is a FW800 but silly expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-CompactFlash-IEEE-1394b-RW034-7000/dp/B0090X943W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368763226&sr=8-5&keywords=firewire+CF+card+reader

The same model in FW400 is priced reasonable:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-CompactFlash-IEEE-1394a-RW024-7000/dp/B008ZMWVVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368763226&sr=8-3&keywords=firewire+CF+card+reader

I've got two SanDisk FW reader from a couple years back. When they die I'll probably move to USB3.

May 17, 2013 at 04:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Fastest Card Reader

when I had the FW700 version it cost me $60 and the throughput was somewhat better then the FW400. FW in general fell well short of its promised superiority except in certain applications that were more controlled and eliminated those poorly designed consumer plugs.

May 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Fastest Card Reader

If Intel had supported USB 3.0 earlier instead of messing about with Light Peak, we would have had the former much sooner and FW would have died out in the consumer space even earlier.

EBH

May 24, 2013 at 01:03 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #15 · Fastest Card Reader

Hi blutch,

The only two FW800 CF readers I've encountered in the wild are the Sandisk Extreme Firewire 800/400 (which I own and have enjoyed using for the past several years, despite encountering a bent pin...one of the hazards of CF technology), and the Lexar Professional UDMA FireWire 800 both of which, I believe, are out of production. I have seen both of these pop up sporadically on the B&S board and they can be hunted down with some small effort online. The Sandisk, if I'm recalling correctly, went for about $59 new, though I may have gotten it on sale at some point. I've seen used prices range from $40 (a recent B&S sale) to nearly $100 for that reader.

As for USB 3 on that MBP, if yours is a 2012-or-later model (e.g. MBP 9,1 or 9,2 or later), you should be good to go. (You can check the model version in your System Profiler application, Apple Menu>About This Mac>More Info...) I haven't gone USB 3 as of yet, so that Lexar Reader that EB-1 recommended might be the way to go for you.

However, if you're bent on going with FW over USB 3 I wouldn't sweat the speed differences between the two, judging from the test numbers I've seen the few seconds difference in real-life usage would be meaningless to me. This is all covered ad nauseum with a slew of cards and 25 different readers over at Rob Galbraith's site...

Rob Galbraith DPI: Card-to-Computer: CF Readers:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9392

...the page hasn't been updated since 2011 (so, no 1000x cards tested) but you'll get the gist of what I'm saying from his test results. FWIW, he mentions a few other FW800 readers there, as well.

Anyhoo, I hope this was helpful! Let us know what you decide...

May 24, 2013 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password