Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wyoming Rockies

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wyoming Rockies

I have tried numerous times to process this image and only seem to succeed in making it worse. In person this was impressive but the image falls way short of my memory. The absence of foreground elements doesn't help. I would like an objective opinion and any suggestions for better processing. At this point I have done little expect try to settle on a white balance setting. The original out of camera was bluish and dull.

Canon EOS REBEL T3i    EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens    250mm    f/18.0    1/320s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wyoming Rockies

Hi Jim, it has a magenta cast here. You might try a more landscape crop taking some off the bottom.

Otherwise it has a realistic look. The subject is wide open plains, foothills and real mountains.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wyoming Rockies

Can you post up the sooc / raw?

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wyoming Rockies

Out of camera

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wyoming Rockies

Here is my take. I opened it like a raw and applied the same process I list at my web page. But then I added a twist, I applied the yellow photo filter to get rid of blue/magenta cast.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wyoming Rockies

Here is the same image with Topaz bold sky applied.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wyoming Rockies

Ben, thanks. Your version is definitely better but the colors still do not look right. Now there appears to be a greenish cast and the reds from the late afternoon sky have vanished.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wyoming Rockies

Hi Kent is the cast expert. I failed that color test he showed a while back. It will be interesting to see how it ends up. I thought yours too magenta.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wyoming Rockies

I agree mine has too much magenta but I don't seem to be able to tame that without ending up with strange colors.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wyoming Rockies

I used a couple of levels layers directed toward the foreground, a curves layer for the sky, color balance and some tweaks to the blues, cyans and yellows of Hue / Sat.

Edited on Nov 17, 2012 at 05:20 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wyoming Rockies

Yikes ... this one is a challenge to say the least.

I have about zero confidence in what I've come up with, but here's about the best I've managed ... without knowing what Jim saw. If Jim could do a "markup" on what he remembers, it would be interesting to see.

I think this one has four colors in play... blue / yellow & green / magenta being derived from the heavy overcast and I'm guessing a mountain range off to the right both acting as gobos from the cool overhead sky and warm direct light, so we get a four way mix, rather than a typical two or three way mix.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wyoming Rockies

Oregon girl and RustyBug, thanks. Both versions are pretty close to what I wanted. I would give a slight edge to Kent's version. I like the warm colors in the foreground. Interesting comments. Anyway I am not sure what I remember seeing. I seem to remember a more reddish tint, but adding red causes a magenta tint which seems to get out of hand quickly.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:11 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password