Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Calibrating Leitax chips?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibrating Leitax chips?

Hello -

I just tried to MA my Leitaxed OM50/1.2 w/ 5D3. Unfortunately, it is out of range of adjustment. If I set the Leitax chip to 0 (chip default is 9 for MA, which is middle range), and my 5D3 to -20, it still doesn't quite hit the calibration point.

Is there any way to adjust this so I can use AF confirm on my 5D3 or am I out of luck?

Thanks,
Michelle

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibrating Leitax chips?

Hey Michelle,

I've found that Leitax consistently provides the most precise adapters for Alt lenses on my EOS bodies. Well, Leitax isn't an adapter, but that's moot. Anyway, I don't use focus confirm (FC) chips on my Leitax or any other mount adapters, and so I can't comment on the settings, but I can say that I expect the Leitax 'fit' should be about right. I guess this implies that the required Auto Focus Microadjustment (AFMA) setting should be close to zero. OTOH, I've never dealt with a FC chip that has AFMA 'smarts'. I guess the Dandelion has grown up. Damn weeds!

The Oly 50/1.2 is my second-most favourite 50/1.2 (after the EF 50/1.2L). I used it to great effect on my 1DsIII with the stock focus screen for shooting helicopters hovering over a ship flight deck, at night - that's pretty dark.

Have you asked Leitax about this?

Cheers, Jim

P.S. IMO, AFMA is for AF lenses. I'm quite content to use manual focus with my manual focus lenses (plus a bit of LiveView helper, when appropriate).

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:47 PM
wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibrating Leitax chips?

Is it dead - or is the AF-confirm "just" way off?

FWIW, I've read once or twice that there's something different with the chip compability 5D2 vs 5D3. I dont know if it is true but I'd do what Jim suggests, check with Leitax. I believe they (/he) will be quick to respond, at least he was when I had anquestion once.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:33 AM
gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibrating Leitax chips?

I recently bought a Nikon-to-Canon EMF AF Confirm adapters. (Dandilion chip)
I have properly set Focal length and Max Aperture. Now I am trial to dial in the AF (Phase detect) properly.

Can you please help me understand how to properly use the Micro Adjust values 0-31? ( I do understand binary 2's compelment math).
1. Do the values stored on the chip actually affect the camera's AF results? (Canon 7D). Or, is it simply for recording purposes in the Exif?
2. Do I also set the Micro Adjust values on the Camera?
3. Which do I use to first determine the right value?
4. In the 0-31 decimal range, is 31 most negative and 15 the most positive to pull and push the AF point?
5. What happens to the auto-focus confirm from the camera if I only set the mfa value in-camera?
6. What happes to the auto-focu confirm from the camera if I only set the mfa value on-chip?

Thank you in advance.
Guy

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.