Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Trying to pick an alt portrait lens [Contax vs Leica R]

sebboh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Trying to pick an alt portrait lens [Contax vs Leica R]

cogitech wrote:
It's funny; the things I don't appreciate about "the (Contax) Zeiss look" (particularly for portaits) are all the things others seem to love about it. Think of all the things you love about the look and you'll have an approximate list of what I am not so keen on (particularly for portraiture).

Having said all this, I must also say that the Contax 21/2.8 Distagon is in my top three of all-time favourite lenses I have ever owned and I forever regret letting mine go. For landscape work, I am a huge fan of "the Zeiss look", but that is where
...Show more

+1, though i do really like the c/y 35/1.4 for portraits.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM
rico
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Trying to pick an alt portrait lens [Contax vs Leica R]

I don't shoot portraits at such wide apertures: best is f/5.6, plus or minus a stop. Choices then would be CZ S85/2.8 C/Y, Leica Elmarit-R 90, and CZ S100/3.5 C/Y. All have clean rendition and beautiful bokeh. My absolute fav, however, is the Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 in Visoflex mode (I mount it on Canon 1Ds). The lens is about $300, and $100 for the additional hardware. Shot at f/5.6:

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:42 AM
bear111111

p.2 #3 · Trying to pick an alt portrait lens [Contax vs Leica R]

Vote for C/Y 100mm f/2. The zeiss 100mm is a new designed version, which is improved in every respect comparing with old design lenses like leica 90 or contax 85. I have zeiss 100mm and 85mm. I would love zeiss 100mm f/2 much more than 85mm.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:48 AM
nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Trying to pick an alt portrait lens [Contax vs Leica R]

I have all three and for me all of them are great for portraiture shots. My Contax 85 prones to have purple fringing at WO though.
For skin tone color, I prefer the Summilux-R 80.
But color can be adjusted via PP anyway

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password