FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

bblanco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I also agree with the small, pocketable point and shoot as long as it is a newer one without a lot of shutter lag. Shutter and focus lag will drive you nuts on those point and shoots.

So, if you must take your D700 I'd stick a 28mm f/2.8 on it and zoom with your feet.

This is what I usually do at Disney and we go there a lot with the kids. A D700 and a 28mm along with a strap that stays put on your shoulder and you should be golden.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
jdanze

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Wow, was just revisiting this thread. You guys were such a help! I have to say, in the end I did bring my D700 out to the parks a couple of times, but most of my shots from vacation were of the times we spent outside the parks. And those pictures are just great.

I did purchase a 24-85 (boy have they gone down in price these past 6 months, could probably have gotten a VR now). And I love that lens. I've decided to keep it even though I also have a 28-70 f/2.8 now, just because it's so useful as a "travel" lens.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions . . . struck a good balance of having fun and capturing it, and my family really enjoyed the experience!

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:43 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

When you come to Disney, hire me and I'll just follow you guys around all day taking photos

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:59 AM
jc9394
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

boshek wrote:
24-70..............done

I did the same during the Feb vacation week, it is a little heavy. Just make sure to keep the hood on all the time, a uv filter will nice too cause you don't want the front elements get wet.

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Tanegashima
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Nikon 1 camera + 10-100

Done

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Dude! Two kids under 6? You are going to have your hands full right there, and no mistake.

Just a little advice, take it for what it's worth...

but if it was me with the wife and 2 young kids I'd leave the heavy DLSR at home, find a P&S that will fit comfortably in the pocket and be done with it. You'll capture the important moments and will keep the wife happy because you'll be able to help look after the kids without worrying about the expensive camera.

Everyone's got their own priorities so you'll do what you think is
...Show more

+1, +2, +3.

I've done the Disney thing a number of times. Big mistake taking that kind of camea gear on a family trip. Here's what I came to understand with experience. Having expensive camera gear means you won't be on the "risky" rides with the kids, which kills their fun. Having multi-lenses etc. etc. means you are putting your attention on camera gear instead of the important thing--your family. Do you want your kids to grow up and their memories of you are of someone off in the distance, messing with a camera? I was making that mistake and my wife wised me up in time. The point & shoot cameras out today are VERY competent and won't rob your kids of your attention. It's their vacation too. While trying to take little pictures here, don't miss the "big" picture.

Kent in SD

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:25 PM
tkhasawinah

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I recently got back from Disneyland with the wife and 2 kids. Brought my D800E + 17-35/2.8 + 70-200/2.8. Also brought a Sony RX100 (which the wife carried and got lost/stolen).

Used the 70-200/2.8 only a few times on 1st day and left it at the hotel for the rest of the Disneyland vacation.
Used the 17-35/2.8 pretty much the whole time and felt like it was perfect. It's better than the 24-70 because you are going to need something wider than 24 to capture the beautiful buildings, etc. I used the whole range of focal lengths on my 17-35 and was pleased with the results.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

i go to disneyland about every 2 months, i have an annual pass. 95% my shots were in the 17-24 range (dx) and for a few shots i wanted 17 wasnt wide enough. id bring one lens in the 24-70 range and worry about enjoying time with your family. you dont want to keep changing lenses and you definitely dont want to carry it around. if you dont want the size of nikons 24-70, id recommend tamron 28-75. trust me, even a light lens like my tamron 17-50 on my gripped d300s gets heavy after carrying around all day. ive never had a need for anything over 50mm there (again on dx)

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Tanegashima
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Two23 wrote:
+1, +2, +3.

I've done the Disney thing a number of times. Big mistake taking that kind of camea gear on a family trip. Here's what I came to understand with experience. Having expensive camera gear means you won't be on the "risky" rides with the kids, which kills their fun. Having multi-lenses etc. etc. means you are putting your attention on camera gear instead of the important thing--your family. Do you want your kids to grow up and their memories of you are of someone off in the distance, messing with a camera? I was making that mistake and my
...Show more

Also, you'll look like a moron.

Take a compact camera, keep the DSLR + a f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime for a night out and/or some family portrait.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

how will you look like a moron? theres ALOT of people there with DSLRs. i took a pns one time because i didnt want to carry my DSLR....probably wont do that again, the quality doesnt compare and forget taking shots at night without flash

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:47 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Just got back from Disney World when the the OP resurrected this thread.......

IMO, the pictures you're taking there include:

- dynamic action pictures of your group doing things (e.g. meeting the characters - best pictures I took are of my GF dancing with Goofy, outside at midday, as well as portraits of her in various places)

- the characters doing things (e.g. Tigger and Pooh's entrance into the Twining's tea shop in England and some of their antics)

- portraits of family/friends (often in crummy light).

- the obligatory "friends/family posing in front of whatever" and "give the camera to someone else so you and your friends/family can pose". (the majority of my photos)

- Also, every once in a while you see something a far that's cool, requiring a telephoto (e.g. the Mickey+Minnie+Disney Prince and Princesses show they had before everyone enters Cinderella's Castle for a character meal - I wasn't a participant in the meal, but stood on the right side of the stage in front of the castle, and thought that 120mm FX equivalent was the minimum necessary to reasonably catch some of the character's antics in the show. I didn't have that lens on me that day and though 85mm equivalent came out OK, would have preferred more reach).

I carried an OM-D with the kit 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 lens (28-84 FX equivalent) , as well as the 25mm f/0.95 prime and 60mm f/2.8 prime. Those worked reasonably well.......

... but when I was there, I thought it would be better to take a DSLR with something that covers the 28-120mm FX equivalent focal range. In the case of my GF dancing with Goofy, I thought at the time I could have better reframed and shot the action with an SLR. Since I'm a DX shooter, that means a D7000+18-105mm. f/2.8 is not necessary except for DOF control, IMO, since current sensors are good enough in

But then I thought, I had forgotten to set the camera to "AF+shoot via touchscreen" mode which the OM-D has. That might keep it on par with DSLR speed (but show the value of experience with your kit, since this was the first time I'd used the OM-D for action shots). Also, the times I needed the (120mm equivalent) tele were far between and amenable to lens switching

BTW, flash is a must, certainly fill flash and IMO also bounce flash. I did not use my remote commander mode as I thought I might for portraits, but probably should have.

re: looking like a moron: I did see plenty of people with DSLRs, but as always these were almost always people carrying the cheapest DSLRs with the kit lenses. Enthusiast DSLRs were few and far between. I also took a D7000 plus 80-200 f/2.8 for the Animal Kingdom, but we didn't make it there in the end. I felt the need to keep the D7k hidden in a bag because I feared looking like a moron (and also because this means I would not have to switch lenses between snapshots and tele animal shots, since I also had the OM-D with me).

[bonus: suggested workflow: shoot RAW+basic JPG, upload selected basic JPGs to facebook or whatever via your smartphone, load all RAWs to your computer when you get home, mark only the RAWs you like with 5 stars in Adobe Bridge, "image process" those to desired mass posting or printing resolution, and then put the rest on FB or wherever. You can then edit the files you want to spend a lot of time editing while getting the lion's share of the work out of the way]

Apr 06, 2013 at 11:28 PM
patriot
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Kyyo24 wrote:
"... 95% my shots were in the 17-24 range (dx) and for a few shots i wanted 17 wasnt wide enough. id bring one lens in the 24-70 range and worry about enjoying time with your family. you dont want to keep changing lenses and you definitely dont want to carry it around. if you dont want the size of nikons 24-70, id recommend tamron 28-75. trust me, even a light lens like my tamron 17-50 on my gripped d300s gets heavy after carrying around all day. ive never had a need for anything over 50mm there (again on dx)

MarcG19 wrote:
Just got back from Disney World when the the OP resurrected this thread.......

IMO, the pictures you're taking there include:

- dynamic action pictures of your group doing things (e.g. meeting the characters - best pictures I took are of my GF dancing with Goofy, outside at midday, as well as portraits of her in various places)

- the characters doing things (e.g. Tigger and Pooh's entrance into the Twining's tea shop in England and some of their antics)

- portraits of family/friends (often in crummy light).

- the obligatory "friends/family posing in front of whatever" and "give the camera
...Show more

My thinking and experience as well. Really makes a case for the Sony RX1 being the first real true alternate for a DSLR. Unless you're in bright light (outdoors, daylight) and want use a flash (indoors, limited places), you're likely to regret just bringing a P&S. At least that's been my experience at Disney, and frankly 99% of the times I have tried to use a P&S and left the DSLR home. And I've bought and sold more than a dozen of the best "enthusiast" level P&S's over the years. I am very interested in the RX1.

Some people have commented that bringing a DSLR is somehow wrong, selfish, or putting the family second, that it will spoil the trip, etc. In MHO, those kinds of personal opinions are just that: personal opinions. Or judgements. One thing I have learned over the years is that being judgmental about what others, especially families, should or should not do when it comes to having a fun time together, is arrogant. What works for one may not work for you, but that's what makes us all different.

I have taken a DSLR and 24-70 lens, over my shoulder, no bag, etc, on at least 6 or 7 family trips to Disney, and have on only a handful of times had to think twice about what to do with it. But, you see, in my case, my wide does not like those crazy wild rides, so she can always hold it for me in those situations. And if not, I also take a zip lock bag big enough for the camera, folded up in a family backpack with sunscreen and other things we take along for the day.

And when ever I want to take a camera along, that's the combo I grab. So used to it now that I don't even know I have it.

That is what works for me and my family. To each his own, as the old saying goes.

One other observation: over the last dozen years, every year I see more and more DLSR's at places like Disney and other family events, sports, etc. Last year at Disney, around this time in April when the D800 was still new and hard to get, I was not the only one with a D800 in the parks. I saw at least 6 or so, dad's and mom's, with them.

Apr 08, 2013 at 06:12 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.