Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

james.d53
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

pbraymond wrote:
I really believe it's the strap that makes the lens comfortable all day. I have a Luma Cinch Strap attached to a RRS L bracket and it is a perfect fit. It hangs over my shoulder and I can cinch it up to where the lens is laying in the small of my back and really secure when I'm carrying and not shooting, but can be ready to shoot in two or three seconds.

The 24-70 is on of the sharpest lenses Nikon offers. I would rather carry a few extra ounces than sacrifice sharpness.

Edited on Nov 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I would forget about zooms and only carry 28 1.8G and 105VR.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM
james.d53
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

mshi wrote:
I would forget about zooms and only carry 28 1.8G and 105VR.

That's a good choice as well.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Everyone has differing opinions on what they would take for a "lightweight travel kit" and you'll never reach a consensus quite frankly. I've had lots of different travel options over the years, including taking the whole nine yards, down to just a single superzoom. Personally, last time I went to Disney I took two bodies, a 24-70, a 70-300, a fisheye, a wide zoom and a 300/f4 AFS. Lugged a large bag around all day every day. I enjoyed it, but I knew going in I would be lugging a heavy kit around. If I went back today I'd likely take a small bag with a single camera, a 28/f1.8, an 85/f1.8, and maybe a fish, and make do with that. Lightweight and great optics at that weight. If I was doing Animal Kingdom I might take a 70-200 with a 1.4x or a Siggy 150 with a 1.4x... but for the other parks the two f1.8 primes would be my choice I think. Great for fairly normal perspective shots as well as some portraits/candids of the kids.

I've also used a Tamron 28-75 and IMHO it's the best lightweight zoom option because it's f2.8, optics are decent, and it's extremely light for an f2.8 zoom. But I certainly don't find the weight of a DSLR with a 24-70 overbearing either, so maybe for some that's a fair option too.

As I said, will be hard to find two identical perspectives on what makes the best kit for you.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I've been there about five times with my wfe & two kids. Some thoughts. I used to take large cameras such as F100, D300 but that's really a bad deal. I wouldn't ride the rides with the kids because I was afraid camera would get wet etc. It was bulky and a pain in the ass on the other rides. By the time I got the big camera out, the opportunity was over. Instead of doing things with my family, I was watching them through a viewfinder. BIG MISTAKE! Get a small camera, like a V1 or something. Even a point & shoot. The trip is about your family, not camera gear. Trust me on this one--dragging a D700 around at Disneyland is a multi-dimensional mistake.

Kent in SD

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:11 AM
VetraLens
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Lots of posts saying not to take the FX body, and they're all quite valid. But if you're capable of enjoying yourself and still lugging around a full-size body, check out this old thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1052105/0&year=2011

Some of the most fantastic Disney family photos I've ever seen. For some people that's an important part of a vacation.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:27 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Two23 wrote:
Get a small camera, like a V1 or something. Even a point & shoot. The trip is about your family, not camera gear. Trust me on this one--dragging a D700 around at Disneyland is a multi-dimensional mistake.

+1

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:32 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Bruce definitely got some great shots there. Note an important factor in his choice of gear: no small children on that trip.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:33 AM
jdanze

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Ok, so I picked up the non-VR version of the 24-85G last night for about $240 (hope it isn't a POS when it arrives from auction seller). My plan is to bring my P/S to the parks except for 1 night . . . will try to get a few nice shots if/when time allows.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice, including the recommendations not to go nuts and to make sure I help with the kids, and not waste too much time fiddling with camera gear. And the recommendations for lenses.

Hopefully others will benefit from this thread as much as i have! Maybe next post will be of some pictures . . .

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:23 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I might be crazy, but I have to Disneyland twice (once in Hong Kong and once in Paris) with relatively high end gear in a small bag and I have been happy with my choice. The light is not always good, you can take very interesting pictures of some shows if you shoot with a high ISO FX body and a fast lens. Another thing: a plastic bag can be useful for potential "splash areas".
A few examples in an old post (my kit was D3+24-70+70-200VR)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/724938/0?keyword=disneyland#6558363

Guy

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

robert829
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Last time I went to disney it was my d700 and 50g is all I have
No sweat..just enjoy the trip!!

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:31 PM
tjpenton
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

jdanze wrote:
Hello all! I rarely travel for fun, and have a very special trip to Disney planned with my family (wife and 2 kids under 6) . . . I'm looking for a good lens to bring to capture the moments, and I don't want to drag along my f/2.8 zooms and heavy gear.

I was thinking of bringing my 50 f/1.4 and renting or buying an all-in-one zoom. I'm thinking something like:

Tamron 28-300 VC (max end of budget to purchase used)
Nikon 28-300 (rental, afraid it's going to be a little big)
Nikon 24-120 (also a rental, also afraid it's going to be
...Show more

I'm my opinion,

I would buy a OM-D with the 12-50 and maybe a longer zoom m4/3 lens.

I recently came back from two trips to disney this summer (well not that recently), and honestly the full frame camera is a bit big. What I did was buy a Olympus PEN model with the 14-42. It wasn't the best camera but for $200 bucks (from the B&S forum) it did the trick. I concentrated on enjoying myself more than the photo's. I found the only time I wished I had a better camera was for EPCOT and for pictures of the grounds we stayed on.

I would be worried about spending too much time trying to properly compose and expose shots if I brought my DSLR and a nice lens. Just relax and enjoy it, you will be surprised at the quality that comes out of the smaller cameras these days.

Oh, and have fun!

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
penghai
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I used to think with young kids like yours, you should carry P&S or similar. Now, many years later, my kids already graduated from colleges and I finally have more time to look at those images, I really enjoy those good photos I took there with my DSLRs and I'm now really happy that I didn't just bring a P&S then.

My suggestions:

A. Setup 1:

1. If you can, bring a very light weight tripod with a good/light bullhead. You want a tripod so you can take those valuable whole family photos. (Don't believe a walk-by stranger will take a good photo for you. That rarely happen.) The tripod is also needed if you want to inlcude some of Disney's fireworks. A good ballhead helps to speed up the time to set it up.

2. Two lenses:
One lens for general shooting, like Tamron 28-75 or Nikon 24-120. Weight is a consideration here.
The 2nd lens is something like a 85 f1.8 or 50 f1.8. This is to cover the indoor shows.

B Setup 2:

Replace tripod in A with a flash and flash bracket. This is similar setup to those disney Photographers. It's more convenient. But I like to use tripod which give you much better photos later.

Learn to setup and shoot fast while be patient to kids and wife. But remember to show your wife how good your photos are (and none of your friends will have similar photos if they just bring P&S). This will help your future trips.

Eric

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:13 AM
scorpio1
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

When I went in 2008 there were 10 of us on a family trip. I took my ungripped D700 with the old 24-120VR and 50 1.8D. While in the park the 24-120VR was all I carried and I can home with good enough shots of "the family vacation".

If money is not object something like a D5100/18-200 would probably be great, but if you're not looking to spend any more than you have to, maybe renting the new 24-120VR may just do the trick. Enjoy your vacation.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:18 AM
gilead
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Dude! Two kids under 6? You are going to have your hands full right there, and no mistake.

Just a little advice, take it for what it's worth...

but if it was me with the wife and 2 young kids I'd leave the heavy DLSR at home, find a P&S that will fit comfortably in the pocket and be done with it. You'll capture the important moments and will keep the wife happy because you'll be able to help look after the kids without worrying about the expensive camera.

Everyone's got their own priorities so you'll do what you think is
...Show more

Just spent 2 weeks in Florida this summer, picked up a D3100 and the 18-200VR1 for the trip thinking it would be lighter and all I'd need. It was more than I needed and after 8 parks for 10 hours a day it felt like I had a bag of bricks around my neck.
Aside from being hot as hell the only regret I had was not picking up a real good point and shot (Canon G11 ,Nikon P7000) You can always sell it later and get most of your money back.
I can guarantee you'll get more pics with the point and shoot and have a much better time.
Either way have fun with the kids and enjoy the trip.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:31 AM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

if it has to be d700 and a zoom....24-70.

Just did tokyo disney and its what I used. Performance wise can't complain.

Weight wise....I will +1 a good quality point and shoot. Can be a long day. My day so long even a d700 with a voigt 40/2 for night and day after elsewhere seemed heavy after lugging the brick d700 all the time at disney lol.

Primes....tbh imo if crowded or busy lens changes could be a pita. I could not see changing being easy. Was thinking even though the 24-70 heavy towards the end...it was the lesser of 2 evils over prime glass change. Others mileage may vary ofc.

Not sure of your logistics but at some point someone is hauling the gifts from the tourist traps of disney. Enough stuff and its both parents if applicable lol. either way unless lucky or skilled or you have some real good kids who don't ask for much...you are leaving disney carrying more than what you entered the gate with bright and early in the morning.

Will do the same trip probably 2 years if not next year (to hit up disney sea anyway, the other disney attraction for tokyo). Decent Point and shoot style buy will be a part of that trip budget lol.

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:14 AM
boshek
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

One great piece of gear was a lowepro backpack which unzips from the part against your back. It has a waist step which allows you to wear the bag, swivel it to the front and zip or unzip it. So great when you have to put gear away at the last moment before getting on a ride

Ps my gear for that trip was a D7000 and Nikon 17-55, great combo

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Wm. Manther
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Rent or buy a used Fuji X100 here on the Buy & Sell boards. The Jpegs are terrific, a fixed lens that is the right focal length, it is small and compact and produces much better pics than any p&s. The colors are great and it will not be a brick to carry. Anything in WDW or DisLand is well within the range of the fixed lens. The low light quality is super with the sharp f/2 lens.

The Fuji X100 is going for less than $900.00 on the boards, renting one and a spare battery will be more than cost effective. All you need are some SD cards, cheap enough.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

24-85mm 3.5-4.5 AF-S served me very well at Disneyland a few years ago.

Just be sure to use a strap that lets you bend over to pick up a kid without swinging it into their head! Luma Cinch works great.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

It looks like this train has already left the station, but if it were me and I had to go FX, I would use any of the 24-85 consumer zooms (with a slight preference for VR) or bring a 35-70 f/2.8. I'd keep it on the camera at all times and would not fiddle with lens switches. (BTW, thanks to Bruce Sawle for sharing his awesome family-vacation-through-the-eye-of-a-real-photographer pics).

But I personally wouldn't go with a point and shoot, I'd go with either of the small olympus or panasonic m4/3 cameras. The current Olympus, EP=M5, can be had for $550 @B&H and its sensor, at least from my OM-D experience, is stellar for the size. But the last generation can be had for $240 refurbished - in my experience, the sensor loses about 2 stops (ISO 1600 looks like ISO 6400 or higher in newer cameras).

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-Mini-E-PM1-Micro-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Silver-Factory-Demo-65960.cfm

IMO the newer one is better value for the money, which is something I rarely say about new cameras vs. massively discounted used ones.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password