New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

jdanze

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Hello all! I rarely travel for fun, and have a very special trip to Disney planned with my family (wife and 2 kids under 6) . . . I'm looking for a good lens to bring to capture the moments, and I don't want to drag along my f/2.8 zooms and heavy gear.

I was thinking of bringing my 50 f/1.4 and renting or buying an all-in-one zoom. I'm thinking something like:

Tamron 28-300 VC (max end of budget to purchase used)
Nikon 28-300 (rental, afraid it's going to be a little big)
Nikon 24-120 (also a rental, also afraid it's going to be a bit too heavy)
Nikon 28-200 (hear this is a great lens and nice and light, but hard to find at a good price)

Shoot with a D700 . . . I've seen some good posts for DX travel lens recommendations, but nothing FX. Have no aversion to something older, or 3rd party . . . appreciate any advice!

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:20 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I suggest the AFS 24-85 older version without VR, small light somewhat cheap

I used to have a 28-200 G, would work great for disney vacation snaps, thought I just saw one on the B&S for $250ish.... looks like it just sold, but I think it's a great walkaround lens for the price and the weight. I only sold mine because I wanted to to start at the 24mm FL, and when I go really light I just use a P&S.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:40 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

24-70..............done

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:58 PM
jdanze

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Thanks for the suggestion pbraymond . . . would you go with the D or G version of the 24-85? I also see a 28-105 D for about $200 . . .

Thanks Boshek, but being familiar with the 24-70, that's probably a bit too big/expensive to trot around the parks for me . . .

Appreciate all these recommendations.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:08 PM
curious80
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

In my experience at disneyland you don't typically need very long focal lengths, so 24-85mm seems to be a good suggestion. To be honest D700 is already a very heavy camera. You could also consider going with something like D5100 or d3200 with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:17 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

jdanze wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion pbraymond . . . would you go with the D or G version of the 24-85? I also see a 28-105 D for about $200 . . .

Thanks Boshek, but being familiar with the 24-70, that's probably a bit too big/expensive to trot around the parks for me . . .

Appreciate all these recommendations.

I suggest the G version. It is held in fairly high regards, though I've never used a G version personally. I did have the older f2.8-4 AFD version, it's the only Nikon lens I sold because I was unhappy with it's performance, though it could have been a bad copy.

I also briefly had the 28-105, good lens, don't bother with the lens hood if you get this lens. I prefer to get 24mm and sacrifice the longer end, so it's just a preference.

Enjoy the vacation and the family.

Ray

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Dude! Two kids under 6? You are going to have your hands full right there, and no mistake.

Just a little advice, take it for what it's worth...

but if it was me with the wife and 2 young kids I'd leave the heavy DLSR at home, find a P&S that will fit comfortably in the pocket and be done with it. You'll capture the important moments and will keep the wife happy because you'll be able to help look after the kids without worrying about the expensive camera.

Everyone's got their own priorities so you'll do what you think is best, but I suggest you give this a little thought.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:54 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
but if it was me with the wife and 2 young kids I'd leave the heavy DLSR at home, find a P&S that will fit comfortably in the pocket and be done with it. You'll capture the important moments and will keep the wife happy because you'll be able to help look after the kids without worrying about the expensive camera.

I basically went through this process. On our first trip to disneyland I had my DSLR and 2 or 3 lenses and it didn't go that well. Wife and daughter quickly grew impatient of having to wait for lens changes and putting the camera and lenses in and out of the bag. Hanging the camera on the neck didn't prove very fruitful either. And with the stroller and all the other stuff to manage, it was just a hassle to have another bag thrown into the mix.

On our next trip we went with an S95 P&S and left the DSLR at home and that went much better. We actually got more photographs and quality was good in most cases. It was easy to keep that camera in hand most of the time or quickly slip it into a belt pouch or my wife's handbag if needed.

Now our S95 has been replaced by an RX100 so that will most likely be the camera that we take on our next visit. It has enough IQ edge over S95 that I think it should do a very good job. If I do take a DSLR then it will be something small with a smallish zoom lens and possibly a fast'ish prime stowed away somewhere for emergency use.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Tamron 28-75/2.8

small, lightweight, great IQ and inexpensive - best FX travel solution.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:18 PM
static808
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Neddie Seagoon wrote:

+1

i feel that everyone has to invest in some sort of travel kit, whether it be a high end P&S or a smaller DX kit. one thing i will say, an articulating screen has become a necessity for me with my travel kit. makes getting cute family shots with YOU actually in it a real breeze. howabout a d5100 with an 18-70? my travel walkaround is either a d5100 + 10-24 or my P&S, which is a samsung TL500.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
tedbare
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Dude! Two kids under 6? You are going to have your hands full right there, and no mistake.

Everyone's got their own priorities so you'll do what you think is
...Show more

I'll second that... go for a Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5 and enjoy the trip!

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM
jdanze

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Some really great options and a lot of good stuff to think about. Thanks everyone . . .

I do have a Panasonic P/S that is shock-proof, waterproof, that I can bring to the parks, etc. On the other hand, refirb D5100 is $425 with the kit lens.

You guys have really given me a lot to think about. Appreciate the feedback!

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:30 PM
ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I really like my 24-85 AF-S G on FX. I think it is one of the great bargains in Nikon glass.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:40 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Neddie Seagoon wrote:

Everyone's got their own priorities so you'll do what you think is
...Show more

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

We have annual passes to Disney, and each time I go I take less stuff. Family comes first unless I'm on an actual photography outing.

I second (or fifth, or whatever) the suggestion to travel as light as possible. I've now decided to buy a separate and distinct travel kit. Debating between a D5xxx body and 18-200 lens (so I can maybe throw a 50/1.8 in a pocket for low-light needs), or going even further to a Nikon 1.

I love low-light shooting, and the P&S cameras I've used weren't fast enough to AF in those conditions, so I'm avoiding that route. A P&S works well in most circumstances other than low light, though.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:59 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

Second the tenth or whatever.

Don't torture the kids and yourself. Get a P&S and enjoy the vacation. In 20 years your wife will still remark about how you were changing lenses every 30 seconds and the kids will not remark about how wonderfully sharp that 70-200 lens is. This is a family vacation, not a family photo session.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:24 PM
static808
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

jdanze wrote:
On the other hand, refirb D5100 is $425 with the kit lens.

that is a steal. i've taken my d5100 on numerous family outings and hikes since i bought it over a year ago. i feel its a great balance between size, weight, responsiveness, and IQ. the sensor speaks for itself. but i really couldnt imagine how much i'd enjoy the swivel screen. lets you get into the pictures, and allows for some really funky angles. good luck with your choice, there are plenty of incredible options out there nowadays.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:33 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

+1 for D5100 (with 16-85 VR lens or 18-70)

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:09 PM
Steven Park
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

I have been to Disneyland so many times that I can't even count since I moved here in 1983 and I have been in your shoes as I have two kids myself who are 13 and 11 years old.

From my experience, I suggest to bring 24-70 2.8 and maybe a prime instead of buying or renting. I would suggest 35mm. Most of pictures you will take is your family/kids with background. During daytime, any of zooms will do the job outside since almost everyday is sunny out here. However, you will want to take some night picture of your family in Disneyland. You may need to use slower shutter speed to capture beautiful lights in Disneyland.

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Minimal FX Lens Kit for Disney Trip

boshek wrote:
24-70..............done

Agree!!! I was in New England for a week just recently and 85% of my shots were with the 24-70 on my D800.

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:11 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.