New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Thnaks Mike and Peire. Louvre pics to follow later.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:24 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Nice processing of the DP2m files Boris and wonderfull photos Boris and Phillipe!

Love the shot from the Eiffeltower. The detail shows even on a monitor.

Michiel

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:51 AM
steve g
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Magnifique! Both of you.

So any conclusions about your cameras and lenses from your Paris experience?

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Thanks Lightshow, Jonas, Ron, howardF, Philippe, Mike, Peire, Michiel and Steve!

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:31 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

rscheffler wrote:
Also the city skyline, which actually looks kind of uncharacteristic for this camera. It doesn't feel heavy in the shadows like many DP1/2M images. Did you do something different with it? (looks like the nasty orange streetlight color saturation was pulled back a fair amount)

I reduced the contrast in SPP, then raised clarity in LR and reduced saturation of yellow by -50 and overall saturation by -20.

Boris

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:35 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

steve g wrote:
Magnifique! Both of you.

So any conclusions about your cameras and lenses from your Paris experience?

No direct comparison, but I'm pretty sure that the DP2M lens is as good as the best Leica lenses and that SOOC the colors from the Nex 7 are much better than the colors from the DP2M.

Boris

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:41 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Sheesh Boris, nice set. You should put in a disclaimer - "Viewing this thread may be hazardous to your wallet."

I'm now at least firmly in the "will rent the DP2M", having been firmly nudged there from seeing the other thread. Maybe it'll have a massive price drop eventually and I'll be able to justify my 5th camera

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Thanks cputeq. I think the price of the DP2M is not too bad for the IQ of the camera and I would not expect a massive price drop in the next months. Maybe you should just sell one of your 4 other cameras.

Boris

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Peire wrote:
+1

+2

Armchair travel doesn't get much better.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Thanks freaklikeme!

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:37 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Feel like I've been there now! You saved me a ton of money!

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Lovely stuff. But where did all the people go?

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:30 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Bobu wrote:
Maybe you should just sell one of your 4 other cameras.

Boris

But I can't let my babies go! I mean, the OM-D is my small, serious camera. The GX-1 is my small, semi-serious camera. The 5N is taken over by the wife, and my S90 is my small camera (when m43 is too big and cell phone is too bad)

But maybe I should let my wife see this thread - she so wants to go to Paris one day, which is fine by me - imagine the purchasing leverage *I* have after giving her a trip there! Haha, perhaps one day!

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Thanks cogitech and Lotus!

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:48 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

One scene from the Ile de la Cité Metro station. Not that it couldn't have been taken in another,less interesting one. Leica 24mm Elmar
_DSC9914-1 par philippeberend, sur Flickr

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:53 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Great images both, thanks for sharing!

With regards to the DP2M - while having a slight crush on it - I cant really get along with the colors. In images like "Pont Neuf" they're masterly handled (even exploited) and for the metallic looking "Cite (Metro Paris)" shots they fit perfectly. But overall in my eyes theres some kind of green/orange/rusty tint that seem hard to get rid of also judging from examples in the other Sigma threads.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:08 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

wfrank wrote:

With regards to the DP2M - while having a slight crush on it - I cant really get along with the colors. In images like "Pont Neuf" they're masterly handled (even exploited) and for the metallic looking "Cite (Metro Paris)" shots they fit perfectly. But overall in my eyes theres some kind of green/orange/rusty tint that seem hard to get rid of also judging from examples in the other Sigma threads.

Thanks for the kind words, Wilhelm! And your opinion of DP2 colours match mine, except you put it better than I could have.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:14 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

wfrank wrote:

I agree with Wilhelm as well. To check it out I even played a little with my favourite image from Boris' set (the last one from the metro station) in Photoshop by converting it to a warmer duotone. Unlike Wilhelm I don't find the somewhat greenish tone in it very appealing. Before saying too much I'll have to re-check my monitor, I haven't calibrated it for some time. But the images... again, great stuff!

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:16 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

I tend to agree with all three of you regarding the colors of the DP2M.
But ... with some effort in PP (LR+SPP) it is at least possible to get colors that I like. And the DP2M images are worth the effort in my opinion because sharpness and rendering of the lens/sensor combination are otherwise really great.

Regarding the colors of the Cité image: the result is exactly what I wanted to achieve in PP to describe a certain feeling I had in this metro station. I could have easily achieved a different color balance. But in other situations/images it was not easy (or sometimes even impossible) to get colors in PP similar to what I had in my mind.

Boris

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:19 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Paris with DP2M and Nex 7

Bobu wrote:
(...)
Regarding the colors of the Cité image: the result is exactly what I wanted to achieve in PP to describe a certain feeling I had in this metro station. I could have easily achieved a different color balance. But in other situations/images it was not easy (or sometimes even impossible) to get colors in PP similar to what I had in my mind.
Boris

I don't think anybody questions if you could have gotten other colours out of your Cité images. Maybe it was stupid discussing them (or the last one as I did) thinking it was a camera thing only, or the "best" it was possible to achieve. It is after all an image with a limited amount of colours.

It's an unfortunate situation thinking of other images you mention where it sometimes may be even impossible to get the colours "right".

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:57 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.