Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

I'm new to canon and i'm looking for a shutter release to use on my 5d mark iii for tripod work and timelapse (maybe). Which one do you guys recommend? Might not do timelapse so a wireless one would be ok.
Thanks.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

It's hard to go wrong with the Canon TC-80N3 time/remote control. I have owned one for years and it works great. However, there are some interesting new products on the market out there that are worth considering if you own a smart phone. The only down side of the TC-80N3 is its price. There are cheaper Chinese knockoffs for sale on eBay that perform almost as well.

I was recently sent a Triggertrap Mobile (http://triggertrap.com) to test. It is essentially a cable that connects your camera to your smart phone and then with the use of an app you are able to do many more things than the Canon TC-80N3 was ever capable of doing, including:

Timelapse
Eased timelapse (Tutorial)
Sound sensor
Shock & Vibration sensor
Metal & magnetism sensor
Facial recognition
LE HDR (Tutorial & limitations)
LE HDR Timelapse mode
DistanceLapse mode (Tutorial)
Motion detection mode
Cable Release mode
Star trail mode
Bulb Ramping Timelapse

I recently contributed to a project on Kickstarter where a couple of employees from SmugMug were putting together a similar product called the Trigger Happy Remote. It too is for sale online (including Amazon) but DO NOT BUY IT. The people behind this project couldn't be more disorganized and their product has proven flaky according to most reviews. I funded the project in March, cables began to arrive in June, I never received mine, and I basically had to threaten to sue in order to get my money returned. It was a horrible, horrible experience.

I have just begun playing with the Triggertrap Mobile product while making my Montana photography and so far so good. I expect to have a review on my blog sometime within the next two weeks. Bookmark my website and you still see something posted there soon: http://www.toddklassy.com

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:35 PM
sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

I just got my Triggertrap delivered. Have yet to open it. I will look forward to your post Todd and any tip to get started

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:01 PM
fr8oc

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

I have the Hahnel Giga T Pro II for my 1D X. It's an intervalometer as well as a wireless release. Works great.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=80&pId=80

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

fr8oc wrote:
I have the Hahnel Giga T Pro II for my 1D X. It's an intervalometer as well as a wireless release. Works great.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=80&pId=80

+1

This craps on the Canon for value and features (surprise surprise) and is very highly rated.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

Not sure, but I wouldn't select canon's version... third party are usually just as effective and you save a bunch of money.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which shutter release for 5d mark iii

Trigger trap is great and really good customer service but the canon 80N3 is a true classic.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password