Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I would add Eg-S focus screen to your 5D2 if you plan to shoot with any fast lenses.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:48 PM
DRosdahl
• •
p.2 #2 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Great news, just about 1 month left before I go home! The time has come though to make this purchase. I have decided on the 35mm focal length, but with the new F2 IS, Sigma 1.4 and of course the 35L I must ask; which one do I go for? I am not too worried about the price, as previously mentioned I just want the best lens for travel, portrait and everyday use out of these three. I am leaning towards the 35L, but the IS and the Sigma look promising...help!

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:49 PM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

DRosdahl wrote:
Great news, just about 1 month left before I go home! The time has come though to make this purchase. I have decided on the 35mm focal length, but with the new F2 IS, Sigma 1.4 and of course the 35L I must ask; which one do I go for? I am not too worried about the price, as previously mentioned I just want the best lens for travel, portrait and everyday use out of these three. I am leaning towards the 35L, but the IS and the Sigma look promising...help!

Meh, IMO at 35mm, f/1.4 > F/2+IS.

As to 35L vs Sigma 35 - seems like most people have good luck with the Sigma 35, which is sharper than the L. Up to you whether you want to try with the Sigma or not.

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:16 PM
robbymack
• •
p.2 #4 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

First and foremost thank you for your service.

I'd get the sigma. Looks like its a cracker of a lens, plus saves you a few pennies which can be put toward that new kid of yours. Enjoy!

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.2 #5 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

35l

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:59 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Agree with David, excellent combo and advice

Phil

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.2 #7 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I could care less what lens you buy. I just want to thank you for your service.

With that said, I'd be looking at the 35l, but I have crop bodies and 50mm isn't that appealing so my advice is probably irrelevent

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I agree with DavidP.

I love my 135 but for kids it's too long. It's for street photography or formal (where they will keep still) portraits.

35 to 85 gives a nice balance of focal lengths. Plus, in owning the 85 and 135 you're almost doubling up on FL's - one or the other, not both.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:25 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Thought about getting the EF 40 2.8 STM pancake? It's a cracker and costs little enough that you could still add another lens without breaking the bank.

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #10 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Sounds like you already have the perfect lens for the shooting you describe, the 85.
I know how the lens bug is, though.

FWIW, I wanted so badly to love the 50L, but it was unrequited. People love it, but IMO it's the odd duck in the range from 35L to 135L, odd in that the others are so much more reliable and...better.
If I had the 5DII with its MA ability the Sigma 50 would definitely be worth a try.
But between the 35 and 50L, no contest in my book. 35L FTW.
YMMV.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:08 PM
bhollis

p.2 #11 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Thank you for your service and come home safe.

I vote for keeping the 85 f/1.8 and getting the new Sigma 35 f/1.4.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:52 PM
DRosdahl
• •
p.2 #12 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Well, after extensive deliberation and some serious sweet talking to my wife and self I decied to go with the 24-70 II. I have never been a big fan of my 24-105L and I decided that the 1.4 aperture wouldn't really be used as often as the 2.8-4.0 range with a mobile little child. The flexibility of the normal zoom coupled with the phenomenal reviews sold me! Thanks again for all of your advice and support. I will get some pictures up of my little family reunited as soon as possible!

Cheers.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Honestly, any L prime between 14 and 135mm is a winner. haha!
I've bought many a lens/camera due to deployments or short tours, so I know where you're coming from.

The 24-105 is an incredibly useful lens, don't ditch it.
The 85/1.8 is a HUGE value lens in the EF line.
The 50L is an awesome lens, but like others have said, I think a 35 would be a better pair to the 85. Especially since you already have all of these FL's covered by the zoom.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:16 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.2 #14 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Thanks for your service! I think you made a very smart choice to grab the 24-70 II. I rented that last month when i visited Wyoming, and the autofocus is incredibly reliable with impressive sharpness. I'd call it the best zoom, but the 70-200 2.8 II is right there, too. IQ-wise they are so close, but I do have a slightly higher keeper rate with the tele zoom, given the IS.

Are you still keeping the 85 1.8? I think that is an excellent pairing with the 24-70 for portraits.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:07 PM
DRosdahl
• •
p.2 #15 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Agreed on the 24-105, but unfortunately my wife limits my number of lenses pretty strictly.

I am definitely keeping the 85 1.8, love the lens and the bokeh that comes from it. Can't wait to get my hands on the 24-70!

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:11 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

ahh, didn't see your last post- I think the 24-70 + 85 combo will be great!

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:17 PM
DRosdahl
• •
p.2 #17 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

ISO1600 wrote:
ahh, didn't see your last post- I think the 24-70 + 85 combo will be great!

I think so too! Now I just need to get home and use them both!

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password