Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Puerto rico advice

Abhinav Jain
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Puerto rico advice

I am planning a 4-5 trip to Puerto Rico next month. Do you have recommendations about spots for nice photos, road trip suggestions etc
Thanks!

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:56 PM
smmokan16
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Puerto rico advice

Old San Juan and if you have time, spend a couple of days on either Culebra or Vieques. (f/t flights from San Juan are cheap to Vieques)

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Abhinav Jain
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Puerto rico advice

Any recommendations on photo opp spots?

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
YoJoe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Puerto rico advice

As mentioned before Old San Juan(here are some images of this lovely town: http://joeastacio.zenfolio.com/p267725242), El Yunque rainforest, Ponce has an interesting historical landmark at the town plaza, cathedral and fire station that date back to the 1800's... And must try Rosa de Triana's paellas at old San Juan, close by the cathedral :]

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:12 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Puerto rico advice

We've gone there a few times and I really enjoyed Old San Juan. There are many architectual opps and many festivals that happen if you want to shoot that type of thing. Sunday's are kite flying days down at the fort if you are there over the weekend. Don't try driving in old San Juan though, just walk. Rain forest is also nice and plenty of beaches to shoot also. Just depends on the subjects you like.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:32 AM
beetlefang
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Puerto rico advice

The fort in San Juan is nice, phosphorescent bay, el yunque...bring a macro for coquis, all of the towns have central squares which are really cool, paso fino horses are common to see, aricebo observatory, a mahogany forest at Guajataka if you're a Scout, chicken fights if you're into that, the Southwest section has a desert park...I can't remember the name.

One can snorkel year round and it's like being in a warm bathtub full of the fish you see in petland, if you have some underwater gear then things could be nice.

I loved Puerto Rico, we were stationed there for 4 years. Nearly every street will have something to photograph. The culture is rich, the people are friendly, and everyone speaks english (if they want too).

-John

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Abhinav Jain
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Puerto rico advice

Thanks for the link YoJoe. Seems like a beautiful place.

John, must have been a nice experience staying in that area.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Puerto rico advice

Hi! I live in San Juan. Check out my smugmug puerto rico galleries (links below). Depending on what you want to shoot I can recommend a bunch of places can gan give you tips on each one.

Generally the light here is extremely contrasty so I would bring hard split ND and ND grad filters. Its not as bad this time of year though but I would still bring them and a polarizer.

You can use a tripod almost anywhere so I would bring one too. Its hot and humid here and the old city is quite hilly so keep it light and of course the rainforest is extremely humid and the terrain very steep. Bring rain protection.

LINK

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Puerto rico advice

Rain protection is a great reminder! It can rain at any time in the Carribean. We're visiting again in January, but don't get much time in Puerto Rico. I'll have to check out the links also. I've never brought a tripod along, but planning to this time to shoot a bit more video. I've got some of my shots on facebook and on my website so PM me if you are interested.

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:15 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Puerto rico advice

Last time I visited Puerto Rica I stayed at the Casa Cubay Ecolodge/B&B. This is a quaint spot on the border of El Yunque Rainforest. You can access and hike the rainforest and various waterfall pool right from the property. This area is far away from the main entrance to El Yunque and is frequented by locals instead of tourists. In addition, you are only 30 minutes from the coast where you can do a night kayak trip through a bio-bay where bioluminescent dinoflagellates create an luminescent trail as you paddle or swim.

Here's a link to the lodge: http://www.casacubuy.com/
regards,
bruce

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:24 PM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Puerto rico advice

get over to giligans island if you can. Me and my girlfriend stayed in San Juan, but had a car so we made the trip over. Its one of the most beautiful places I have been to.
I dont think you will see any tourist there. Also check out the luminescent bay, and do it at sunset.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mstallone/6852447745/in/photostream

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:04 PM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Puerto rico advice

also if you do decide to travel to giligans island make the trip over to Cabo Rojo lighthouse
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mstallone/6767021499/in/photostream/lightbox/

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Abhinav Jain
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Puerto rico advice

Appreciate the suggestions!!

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:50 AM
noelfoto

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Puerto rico advice

I am from Puerto RIco! I hope you can enjoy your vacation! Like others said Old San Juan city is nice for pictures, the Forts, etc.

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password