Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

MBMK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Never had any lens serviced but the 35's been giving me trouble since day 1. I should have sent it in back then but with busy schedule I've lost track.

So I sent the 35L for servicing because the focus is off. It's very soft. Even between f2 to 2.8 it's just too soft. It shouldn't be. I could understand at wide open which I never really do.

So I sent it to have it calibrated and they quoted me $179 plus $16 for shipping. Does this sound fair?

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:12 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Dude they're prices must be going up. Flashstand got blown over last week, it sucks, but it happens, It's always been about 80 bucks to fix, this time it was 120. Frustrating.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:21 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Where else would you send it? Fairness is often equated through comparison, so if you have nothing to compare it too then who knows I personally wouldn't trust it to anyone but Canon.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:21 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

I had a lens with a messed up AF fixed for $50 a few years back. I sent in our 24-70 a while ago, and it was a $220 for the same type of issue...yikes.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:23 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Thanks guys. I am not trying to compare it with any other companies. I am jsut wondering if you've sent your lens to Canon lately and got asked to pay around that much.

So looks like the price is going up for Canon. Kindda sad....I'll pay it though.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:43 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Yeah, any repair sucks if it's not covered under warranty...

$195 is a tough pill to shallow, but i'd say its well worth it if it comes back and performs the way it should. Like Spencer mentioned, I wouldn't trust any other place to repair other than Canon

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:54 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

I paid $240ish recently to have my 50L dialed in at CPS. It's now my sharpest and most used lens, so that helped sooth the sting of the repair cost. I'm having similar issues with the 35L as you (since moving to the 5D3) so that will go in at some point as well. Or I may sell it and get the 24L instead, not sure yet.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:00 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

I've found that if you call and talk to an actual person you can sometimes get them to agree to do it for free. I have done this before. Basically mention the $$ you paid and that such an expensive item should perform flawlessly.

It's been a while since I've done it but it worked for me in the past. :-)

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

lilyphoto wrote:
I've found that if you call and talk to an actual person you can sometimes get them to agree to do it for free. I have done this before. Basically mention the $$ you paid and that such an expensive item should perform flawlessly.

Great idea... never hurts to ask. At the very least maybe they'll come down on the cost.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:28 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

lilyphoto wrote:

Oh NOW you say it! I just paid them over the phone 20 minutes ago!

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

MBMK wrote:
Oh NOW you say it! I just paid them over the phone 20 minutes ago!

Hah -- oops! Well now you know to try.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:33 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Could be an industry wide thing. Sent in an SB-600 not too long ago and it was $140 to repair a $200 flash.

Also, just sent by D700 in for a check-up and new grips. $143.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:08 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Is that with CPS?

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:11 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #14 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

It'll be too much if nothing changes- If it will work then worth every $. I guess you'll find out soon
And talking to real people couldn't harm.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:49 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

joosay wrote:
Is that with CPS?

No CPS

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

I say that's pretty reasonable.

My 17-40L had a focus problem. Sent in to Canon Canada. It was out of warranty. Before they even want to open the box to inspect they want me to pre-authorized a minimum $240 charge. I asked why. The rep said because it is an L lens.
Fortunately the final cost to fix it was pegged at $240. Imagine it still had to go up from there!!! They had to replace the USM motor.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:11 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #17 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

Are you guys equipment out of warranty? I just sent in a 70-200 2.8 VRll, 85 1.4G, 35 1.4G and got them all cleaned, calibrated, and the lens mount replaced on the 70-200. All of it was free of charge. Sent them into Nikon Melville. All lenses are under warranty though.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:49 AM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #18 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

$200 sucks but better than a useless $1400 paperweight for a lens. CPS gold is $100/year but you would have saved 30% on the repair and free shipping.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:56 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #19 · Canon asking for $195 - TOO MUCH??

I really think Canon is pushing CPS and that is why they went to the points system. The cost of CPS Gold and the discount we get for it has made it up. Sending in bodies for clean and checks and also having loaners and demo's comes in handy. We are going to test the 5D III in a couple weeks from CPS to see if I want to plunk down the funds.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password