Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

tuantran wrote:
You and I are probably in the Craftwman is good enough camp and don't need Snap-on/Mac.

craftsman has improved some of their tooling and now fits in places where SO only did. it took them 30 years to catch up on what was a small percentage of their overall basic tooling such as sockets. in my work I limited myself to their screwdrivers.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Red Rover
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

The OP really asked two simple questions, and posted a link to another forum in which a $180 ball head was dropped and the QR plate broke. The responses got pretty technical for what was asked.

Question 1, is Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins (isn't "as good" and "the same" redundant)? The obvious answer to that is no, and I don't think it was ever meant to. That is an apples to oranges comparison. Can Induro meet an individual photographer's needs? Only the individual can answer that.

Does the question also mean that Markins is as good as RRS since it uses them both as the comparison brands? I don't have either, but I would guess the answer is that Markins is not as good/the same as RRS either.

Question 2, have you ever seen a cheap cast part on a RRS/ Markins? That should be easy enough to answer. It is either yes or no? Granted, many may not be able to distinguish the difference, but the answer is still yes or no.

And the link to the thread in which a $180 ball head broke when dropped hard on concrete can not possibly be used as supporting documentation to answer question #1 about a comparison of Induro with products that are know to be of higher quality.

A solution could have been provided if Induro would sell the original part, which apparently they don't. As someone else pointed out, a replacemet Induro QR plate is available for $75 with the bonus of an extra camera plate. It doesn't have a bubble level but would make the ball head servicable. If I dropped and broke an inexpensive ball head and could repair it for $75, I would not look back.

I just ordered a BHL3 for $261 from Amazon ($50 discount for opening a credit account with them). I have no illusions that it is as good as the RRS ball heads. I don't plan to drop it either, but if I do, I'll man up and repair it without complaint. I have no doubt that it wil do what I need it to do.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:57 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Congrats, that is a very nice ball head.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Red Rover wrote:
The OP really asked two simple questions, and posted a link to another forum in which a $180 ball head was dropped and the QR plate broke. The responses got pretty technical for what was asked.

Question 1, is Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins (isn't "as good" and "the same" redundant)? The obvious answer to that is no, and I don't think it was ever meant to. That is an apples to oranges comparison. Can Induro meet an individual photographer's needs? Only the individual can answer that.

Does the question also mean that Markins is as good as RRS
...Show more

as long as you are willing to live with lowered expectations that's great.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

tuantran wrote:
There are people who actually have owned and used Gitzo/RRS/AS AND Benro/Induro and there are those who only have owned Gitzo/RRS or Benro/Induro. Can we identify who is who? It would be interesting to see who just owns Gitzo/RRS and have never owned Benro/Induro and people who owns Benro/Induro and have never owned Gitzo/RRS.

Up until a couple months ago I owned 5 tripods; a Slik, a Benro and 3 Gitzos. Now I've come to my senses and have only two; a Gitzo series-3 systematic and a Benro traveler. I was going to sell both and get a 'tweener but then thought better of it as these two work really well for me at least with my present camera bodies/lenses. I use Arca-Swiss, Linhof, Markins and Slik ballheads and a RRS leveling base.

While I don't have a vast range of experience I would say that as a user I prefer the Benro traveler I have over the equivalent Gitzo traveler. It's taller, has smoother leg section locks and takes spikes. Using the Benro has been a better experience for me and I sold the Gitzo.

Now the Benro is about 1/2 the price of the Gitzo but is it a "better" tripod? Having comprehensively taken both tripods apart I would say from a materials/construction perspective and without going into detail it isn't. It may not last as long as the Gitzo might have lasted, and I recently (through rough use) broke a part and replaced it with a Gitzo part.

However I'm now into my third year of use with it. I've used it in urban areas, the countryside and mountains. It's been on numerous beaches and in the sea a few times. It has held up quite well under duress, the Q3T head is great and I've used the spikes many times. For $324 I think it's pretty decent value; I've put it to good use and it really meets my needs. It's definitely not crap let's put it that way; maybe not as good as a Gitzo or RRS but very serviceable for the outlay. It works for me.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

The BHL3 arrived today and my lowered expectations were exceeded.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

You mean it broke already or was otherwise defective?

EBH

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Red Rover
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Uh.... no.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:16 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I hope you are joking, but some people here really need to stop putting down everything that is not RRS/Gitzo.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:27 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but when it exceeded the lowered expectation, that is a more negative value to me. The smilie made the negative value seem more likely.

EBH

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:34 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

lol I see now where you got that, I apologize

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Dear oh dear,

Speaking as a sheep .. er.. I mean, Mac owner and RRS tripod and ballhead user I'd just like to speak up for my right to own what I damn well want to. I am fortunate to be able to afford what I think is the best when it comes to one of my favorite pastimes. I dont have a big house or a flash car but I do like the pleasure of owning and using something that has been made with a minimum of compromise.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:11 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

I have a manfrotto, 2 benro and a cheap plastic tripod (came with my xt years ago). All get some use, though the $20 jobber is mostly a light stand these days. But my most used tripod is a little Pedco Ultrapod II that I throw in my travel bag with my NEX. Different tools for different jobs and price ranges. There is no need to criticize anyone's choice. There are valid reasons to prefer one over another, including cost, stability, weight, shooting environment, etc.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:24 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password