Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1247119

As often occurs, outward appearance belies the true quality of a product. Ever see a cheap, cast part on an RRS or Markins?

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

People can justify their expensive purchases by pointing to isolated cases of user incompetence (he dropped it on concrete for God's sake) but this example is quite ridiculous. Markins, RRS and Gitzo can keep their overpriced cr@p. I would never pay what they ask for their 'non-cast' pieces of metal. Reminds me of the Apple users justifying their overpriced electronics. Sheep.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Sarsfield wrote:
People can justify their expensive purchases by pointing to isolated cases of user incompetence (he dropped it on concrete for God's sake) but this example is quite ridiculous. Markins, RRS and Gitzo can keep their overpriced cr@p. I would never pay what they ask for their 'non-cast' pieces of metal. Reminds me of the Apple users justifying their overpriced electronics. Sheep.

So RRS, Markins and Gitzo are selling crap But Induro is ok

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:03 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

A 3.5 foot fall onto concrete without anything mounted on it should not result in that type of damage. That is EXACTLY why RRS, Markins and Kirk are worth paying for.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:43 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

You are asking a piece of aluminum to absorb the energy of a ballhead AND tripod. You are surprised it broke? The way it hit, just the ballhead alone would probably have been enough to snap it. A good grade of steel would have taken the hit, but the screaming about weight would be unbearable.

Take the offer of a refurbished head and be happy.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Sarsfield wrote:

Your ignorance is most amusing. Obviously your knowledge of materials is rather limited to say the least.

Edited on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

runamuck wrote:
You are asking a piece of aluminum to absorb the energy of a ballhead AND tripod. You are surprised it broke? The way it hit, just the ballhead alone would probably have been enough to snap it. A good grade of steel would have taken the hit, but the screaming about weight would be unbearable.

Take the offer of a refurbished head and be happy.

You should know better. The proper aluminum alloy and manufacturing you'll have allowed the piece to dent, deform but not crack like that did. That's why RRS and such manufacture their gear the way they do. They do their best to eliminate compromise.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

I work in sheet metal industry. Not all aluminum's are created equal.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Edward Castro wrote:
I work in sheet metal industry. Not all aluminum's are created equal.

A true statement to say the least.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

As demonstrated here, a cheap alternative is exactly that, CHEAP.

As for justifying expensive "crap"', you do the same thing when you justify your cheap crap.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Your ignorance is most amusing. Obviously your knowledge of materials is rather limited to say the least.

You should know better. The proper aluminum alloy and manufacturing you'll have allowed the piece to dent, deform but not crack like that did. That's why RRS and such manufacture their gear the way they do. They do their best to eliminate compromise.

Typical condescending attitude from one of the sheep that must have the absolute highest priced pieces of gear or you'll shrivel up like the empty carcass that you really are. I'll bet you are one of the sheep that bought the Gitzo basalt tripod because if it's made out of volcanic material, it must be great!

Or maybe you're a metallurgist and can explain to me how the Gitzo, Markins and RRS cr@p is better than any of the Induro or Manfrotto or even the Feisol products?

Drivel.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:39 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

sjms wrote:

So a bent/deformed head is preferable? Could have made the thing of titanium and plated it with irridium. That would have really pleased the high dollar crowd

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:57 AM
Shotsy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Sarsfield wrote:
Typical condescending attitude from one of the sheep that must have the absolute highest priced pieces of gear or you'll shrivel up like the empty carcass that you really are. I'll bet you are one of the sheep that bought the Gitzo basalt tripod because if it's made out of volcanic material, it must be great!

Or maybe you're a metallurgist and can explain to me how the Gitzo, Markins and RRS cr@p is better than any of the Induro or Manfrotto or even the Feisol products?

Drivel.

I'm sorry but all I can say is WOW you must not really understand any manufacturing process at all. Are you also going to say that all glass is created equally so it doesn't matter if you buy the cheapest lens you can find because it'll be just as good as any other high dollar piece. Don't get me wrong I think that the RRS,Gitzo as well as other products are overpriced but they are that way because of process and materials used.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:09 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

FWIW, I don't care which gear anyone buys and uses - why would I? My objection to the many tripod/ballhead threads here comes into play when someone posts that their YYY brand is as good as the XXX brand, or worse, that it's the same in every way except cost. By extension, we can only assume that all gear is exactly the same, regardless of brand, materials, manufacturing process, etc. In reality, a more reasonable assumption might be that there are actual functional differences, based on the aforementioned factors, and that informed choices are always better than blind guesses.

Who are the real sheep - those who realize the differences, make smart choices, and buy what they need/can afford, or those who spout that their bargain brands are just the same? That's a rhetorical question, aimed at no one poster to this thread in particular.

As an aside, I like to collect mechanical (i.e. non-electronic) wristwatches, and one of my favorites is my stainless steel Rolex Submariner. I don't wear it to work, though, for fear of damage or loss, and I've got a Seiko which is a damn close replica, which I do wear instead. I set the Rolex twice a year, to adjust for daylight savings time, and it's never off by more than a fraction of a minute. I have to set the Seiko every week, and it's always a few minutes fast, even after being calibrated by an authorized dealer. The Seiko was 1/10th the cost, but clearly it's not the same, regardless of outward appearances. Are they both useful and functional? Of course they are.

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:44 AM
jcw1982
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

I have an Induro and am very happy with it. When used an intended, it performs quiet well.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

Sarsfield wrote:

Drivel.

No just someone who has worked with metal pretty much all his working life for the past 25 years in aerospace and commercial aviation. So for the long run I may/do have a better idea then you on what alloys/materials (yes composites) and methods used make a difference. Not because I know it all but because I know how to reference or who to ask. There are substantial differences in manufacturing between RRS, Gitzo, Feisol and for the most part if one opened their eyes these differences do become more apparent.

Actually the use of "volcanic material" aka: basalt based glass fiber is/was an attempt by gitzo to bring many of the properties of CF down to a more economic level. They as a company have been pretty forward thinking in the use of materials and technology. I'm not going to deny that they are cheap. But then when you do put the R&D in you want a ROI and yes they do tend to push the envelope at times. You don't move forward by relying on accepted norms all the time.

RRS uses a completely different methodology in their design and manufacturing concepts from the rest. It is a more robust design and build.

Yes, all manufacturers showboat to an extent, some more then others to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack. I will tell you that there are differences that can and do make the difference.

Yes, I could "splain" many of the what, where, when, how's and whys of these products. Lots of good ideas and lots of bad ones too. Not drivel, just what was being attempted and the result.

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

jcw1982 wrote:
I have an Induro and am very happy with it. When used an intended, it performs quiet well.

But do you belive it's " as good/the same as RRS/Markins"

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

runamuck wrote:
So a bent/deformed head is preferable? Could have made the thing of titanium and plated it with irridium. That would have really pleased the high dollar crowd

The situation was that it catastrophically failed after a relative short fall and impact in concrete. I don't need super alloys to do the job better. There are products optimized for price and then there are those optimized for "performance" and performance being made up of many factors. Choose your poison. And yes if the part is dented or deformed but still usable that makes it much better the a cracked and totally failed one anytime till replacement or repair is available.

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM
DeweyB1

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

I own some Induro gear and I really don't care if its as good as another brand. What I care about is how it performs for me when I use it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Induro really as good/the same as RRS/Markins?

DeweyB1 wrote:
I own some Induro gear and I really don't care if its as good as another brand. What I care about is how it performs for me when I use it.

And that is reasonable answer. If you don't need it you don't need it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password