New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

tandlh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

Hi all,
I've been away from the Landscape forum studying and shooting a few weddings over the last year and a half. And now I'm leaving Arizona after 26 years and moving to Maryland. So long Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, Coyote Buttes, Monument Valley and all the rest of the amazing locations that were just a drive away.

Now it's time for something completely different. New England Fall Color, Oceanscapes, Stormy Lighthouses, watermills, etc.

It took me years to get in tune with the change of light through the seasons on a given mountain range or how the weather and atmospherics will play in a certain area. I expect it will be many years before I learn enough of the movements of the Atlantic and the east coast in general to get back the level I enjoyed here. All part of the fun and excitement of something new.

Has anyone else made the change from the Southwest to the Mid Atlantic or New England area? How did it go, what did you find particularly challenging or enjoying? Any tips?

BTW, in 2008 I shot a full moonrise over the notch in the Mittens during the sunset shadow event. It was published in Arizona Highways in Oct 2009 and this December's issue has it reprinted again as one of the best 100 photos they've ever published. It's a humbling honor and a photographic achievement that I imagine I will never top. Time to move on to new territories

Take care,

Ted

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM
broncoholic
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

Dress warmly!

I just moved to Maine after spending 5 years in NC and it is definately colder! The people have all been friendly and some have pointed out places to shoot. It is very beautiful and there are plenty of photo opps. But here there are so many tourists that it is hard to get good clear shots at times.

I am very happy here and can't see me ever living anywhere else and I have been around.

Good luck on your move!

~Mike~

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

Maryland is the USA in minature..except for maybe the Rocktes/Tetons...
I think you will enjoy the change of seasons. Very humid here and it has been record setting heat in summers todate.
I think you will enjoy it...

I see you are in "Sorry-Vista"(mean no disrespect..just joking)...I was at Ft Huachuca in 1967 for a Long Range Recon course and NCO training before Vietnam.
Dan

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM
tandlh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

I see that I've been moved from Landscape Forum to the dead zone. Some things never change

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

Be sure to leave your firearms in AZ, and stay the hell out of Baltimore City combat zones. Watch the HBO series of The Wire if you want to know what I'm talking about MD Eastern Shore has some beautiful photo opportunities

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

Hi Ted. So, you're moving east! Did you retire or transfer? Adios to ISEC. Another potential shooting partner moves away. Sorry we never did any shooting together.

Best of luck to you! I look forward to seeing some of your East Coast shots here on FM after you get settled in!

Bev

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:09 PM
tandlh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

Hi Bev,
Still ISEC, still working. Im taking over FDED. Personal and professional reasons. It will be interesting to see how my photography changes back there.

Keep shooting, there's a lot that needs to be captured in this beautiful southeastern Arizona country.

Ted

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:38 AM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moving from Arizona to Maryland

tandlh wrote:
Hi Bev,
Still ISEC, still working. Im taking over FDED. Personal and professional reasons. It will be interesting to see how my photography changes back there.

Keep shooting, there's a lot that needs to be captured in this beautiful southeastern Arizona country.

Ted

Congratulations on the job change. FD was Gene, wasn't it? Did he finally retire? I've been retired for three and a half years, so all manner of things could have changed in that amount of time!

Take care, Ted. I'll be watching for your FM posts from Maryland!

Bev

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:02 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.