New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Flaming Gorge

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flaming Gorge

Here are two compositions, which do you prefer? What would you have done different? Be aware, this is as late as you can shoot without encountering deep shadows on the water.

Flaming Gorge 1

Flaming Gorge 2

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flaming Gorge

Curios @ exposure diff

Was this an intentional bracket, or were you in AV mode and you're comp change gave you a different reading or

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flaming Gorge

I used a polarizer for the first one. I have a filter holder for my 17TSE lens and use a 4 inch square linear polarizer. I did not see any improvement strictly from the ploarizer, do you?

I did not like that bright rock at the right side, even as I was taking it and moved around to avoid it. At times I was as close to the edge as you were at Horseshoe bend.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flaming Gorge

I prefer the first image. The foreground tree adds a bit of interest and helps with the perspective. I have no problem with images taken outside of the "magic" hours. Overall, both are decent landscapes with strong compositions, proper exposure, focus and processing.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flaming Gorge

Hi Jim, Laurant Martres says this is the time of day to do it, and he is right. He also says the best view is from inside the visitor center, but of course because of the glass not to photograph. The visitor center was closed for the season and this was next to it.

My conclusion is that the flaming gorge is probably worth seeing in person but probably not great for photography because of its geography.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flaming Gorge

composition: first
second appears to have some counterclockwise rotation compared to the first.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flaming Gorge

sbeme wrote:
composition: first
second appears to have some counterclockwise rotation compared to the first.

Thanks, I see that as well, but of course the camera was leveled, Not sure if its the result of an UWA lens or the sloping nature of the terrain and no distinctive frame of reference. The two images were shot from slightly different locations.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:58 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flaming Gorge

Ben,
Having never been there I dont know which image is more accurate in terms of tilt but the second makes me feel like I am leaning to the left!

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flaming Gorge

sbeme wrote:
Ben,
Having never been there I dont know which image is more accurate in terms of tilt but the second makes me feel like I am leaning to the left!

Actually I can see that in both. The question would be how to change it. If I have a shore, I often change a level image to agree with the shore. If no shore, I use reflections. Shadow lines or snow lines on mountains also work sometimes.I sometimes use other clues, but in this one I don't see anything I could use. I suppose I could just rotate it arbitrarily.

Feel free to do so.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:51 PM
sadja
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flaming Gorge

Hi Ben, I also prefer #1 for its clarity and the inclusion of the tree. I also agree tha it looks slightly tilted. I would experiment w/ rotation angles till it looks right. The lens (probably) is introducing some distortion.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flaming Gorge

Here is a 1 degree rotation of the first image. The second one is less popular so I did not bother.

If you think it needs more I would like to know, I am up for that.

For any of you reading my recent essay on critique, this was one I took because I was there. I waited for some magic but it never happened. This was also taken during the forest fires that had three states smoked up.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flaming Gorge

Depending on your goal you might want to do a clarity boost over the haziest areas. I tried out a gradient tool with neg exposure and inc clarity over your second image, pulling in from the left border, with nice effect. In LR.
Alternatively you could do "local contrast enhancement" @something like USM 10/50/0 masked to cover mostly the upper left quadrant of your image and you might also do a bit of neg exposure gradient over the same area roughly.

Scott

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flaming Gorge

Hi Scott. I use clarity in my ACR conversion and Topaz at the end. But I have an action for large radius small amount USM. I could give it a try.

This is not a keeper, it is more a learning thing for me. That is, learning what people prefer.

For me, this bright rock area on the right spoils the shot. I think the ideal for this location would be a high cloud sunset with enough red light reflecting into the gorge to light it up.

Like this?

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:23 PM
HiredGoon
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flaming Gorge

I prefer #1, the wee tree adds a point of interest.

I recall when I was at this very spot back in May; the sun light reflected off the river in the late afternoon was so strong that I could not remove the glare with my polarizer. Looks like you got there at the right time.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flaming Gorge

Yes, I was later in the year and with smoke to reduce the light. I can't see going back to this place for photos.

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.