Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

Just recently bought a 5DIII, no real hands on experience with it yet. Just trying to learn all the buttons and settings, so I am familar with things.

Friend asked me to get some shots of his dog this weekend participating in Agility.

I am thinking AI servo, af point expansion or surrounding points, thinking case 2, TV, HS shooting, awb , evaluating metering.

1) What case would you use, and what af settings.

2) Whats is best setting for high iso speed NR, looks like standard is default

3) The AF in menu has many options, have no idea , what would be best advanced settings.

4) AI servo image priority
1st options release , equal, focus >>>looks like 1st set to equal is default
2nd speed ,equal, focus

Any input would be much appreciated.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:57 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

Maybe case 5 or 6 with dog changing direction quickly and accelerating and stopping quickly. I usually set tracking sensitivity to -1, have so far have used focus priority but I'm about to give equal priority a go. Canon says it shouldn't make a lot of difference, just will affect your frame rate, you may not get 6fps.

Here's part of a message I sent to someone asking me about setting up my 5D III. Not sure if it's of use but it may give you some ideas.

The basic idea is to use C1, C2 mode dial to store a configuration for action work that you have immediate access to.

I use Tv 1/2000, Auto ISO (with maximum of ISO 6400). I use AI servo, with high speed continuous drive. I only use x-type points for selection. I have set the * button to use centre point with 4 expanded points and have set the AF-ON button to use a registered point with spot AF.
I have set my default AF case as number 2, this sets the tracking sensitivity at -1 giving the AF more time if your chosen AF point falls off the subject before it tries to focus background.

I have also set the DOF button so that when I push it it switches the AF to centre point with 8 expansion points, and sets the AF accel/decel to +1 and AF pt switching sped to +1. I would push the DOF button and use these settings say when I was saying trying to shoot a more errartic, faster moving bird that I would be with my normal settings. This saves me having to dive into the menu to fix things. Also by having all of this on C1, it means when I'm doing landscape work If I revert back to Av mode, my DoF button is just a normal DoF button and I only use it for AF setting changing when in action mode on C1.

I have also made a variation of these settings for C2 where the DoF button allows siwtching between AI servo and One shot -great if the bird stops, so I can automatically switch to One shot and spot AF for pin point AF. I have yet to decide how to program C3, but that will be for landscape. These settings are a work in progress so they may change depending on my success or not. However, I have found even case 1 does a damn good job fro BIF such as eagles, herons, etc that don't move erratically. Haven't tried it on swallows yet, but that's where I think my DoF button settings will come in handy. The nice thing about using C1-C3 is say you find that a different setting works better you can choose to allow the C1-C3 settings to auto update so that setting is automatically now saved.

I highly recommend going to chapter 13 of the manual as you can configure these things in so many ways

I hope I haven't confused you and feel free to ask any me anything if I can help.

Bottom line start on AF case 1 and tweak from there, but I think setting up custom settings like I have for action work will save you a lot of time as you are set to go just by turning the mode dial.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:54 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

I am sort of with you, understand some, and my head is spinng from others I am not familar with.. I'll go to chaper 13 and read a bit. I know you can set custom settings from C1 thru 3. Just not sure how to set up DOF button for center point with 8 expansion settings, and *button to use centre point with 4 expanded points and have set the AF-ON button to use a registered point with spot AF. Hopefully chapter 13 will clearify things.

If I was by your side and watch you, I'd pick it up in a minute, or watched a video.. Reading and trying to decifer is where I have problems..

Really appreciate your input Pixel.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:29 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

5D III has a ton of customisability, so it's a lot to take in at once. This took me a bit to figure but you certainly don't need to do it all at once. Just stick with the basic settings of Tv, 1/2000, auto ISO, evaluative, high speed continuous, AF case 5 or 6 with sensitivity -1 and focus priority for 1st and subsequent images and you should have a very good basis for action work.

Edited on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mselby

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

I am using a 1 DX with Case 5. AF is set to center point with expanded points, and occasionally zone in the center point position. It has worked well for dogs doing a wide variety of dog sports. You can see some of the photos in the albums on this facebook page. (Note some photos are with a D4) https://www.facebook.com/siamcrown.kennel

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

I just upgraded from a 5Dc so all the custom ability with the 5DIII is as you say pixel, a lot to absorb. Just from using it a little today, and going thru the menu, the things you initialy mentioned is a little clearer.. When I have a chance to read and re-read again chapter 13 lol. I'm sure I will start to be clearer on all those things you initially mentioned.
As for now, I will keep it simple with the basics.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

Mselby, went to your facebook page, you have two of my friends here locally, on your page as your friends. Joel, and Richard.. So I presume you too are into french ring.

Thanks for your comments on your settings for dog sports.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM
mselby

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommend a case for dog agility on 5DIII

Hi, We are more active in IPO, but we also do agility training, and KNPV Police training.
It results in a pretty broad range of photos
Mike

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password