Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Style or Trash

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Style or Trash

My wife and I were ask by the DAV office to photograph the local Veterans parade. We, took over a thousand images of the Veterans Day Parade, San Angelo, Texas. As I do all the PP work I jumped right in and was able to send 30 images Monday. As my wife was looking through them she commented that it seemed I have settled into a post-processing style that differs from the norm... We like it, BUT, Are these bad? Do I, in your opinion, have an effective result, or should I try for a more traditional look? As this is purely subjective, as personal taste differs dramatically, tell me what you think... Jim

VA - 6

VA - 31

VA - 13

VA - 22

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Style or Trash

These look very contrasty. If that's the look you want, it worked.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:21 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Style or Trash

Actually they are more than contrasty.
They have a hyper-real, heavily detailed HDR-ish look. A matter of taste.
For that style they look good. No significant haloing issue although perhaps ab it around the legs of the soldier in the last image. The colors are quite intense, the blues appear off in hue and too intense for my taste. Sharpness, detail are, as I said, hyper-real but well done.
Bottom line: I think the style was executed well.
Scott

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:27 AM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #4 · Style or Trash

When we put up images on FM, theyíre available (and copyable) to the entire internet world, thousands, if not, millions of people. In my opinion, we should never present our nation, our military men and women, in an unflattering manner, no matter the photographic process. We should show the respect due our wonderful country.

In my opinion, your photographic depiction of boy scouts laughing and cavorting in what I assume is a tribute parade to Veteranís day, is not in good taste. The showing of a serviceman, with his gut hanging out (like a woman on the sidewalk) and his eyes shut, is also not respectful.

Shot VA-13 shows a respect for veterans and our country. I think the tonal range is a tad overdone.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:14 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Style or Trash

ben egbert wrote:
These look very contrasty. If that's the look you want, it worked.

Thanks Ben. So cut back on the contrast. Got you, Jim

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:45 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Style or Trash

sbeme wrote:
Actually they are more than contrasty.
They have a hyper-real, heavily detailed HDR-ish look. A matter of taste.
For that style they look good. No significant haloing issue although perhaps ab it around the legs of the soldier in the last image. The colors are quite intense, the blues appear off in hue and too intense for my taste. Sharpness, detail are, as I said, hyper-real but well done.
Bottom line: I think the style was executed well.
Scott

Thanks Scott. Less contrast, less detailing, less saturation. Got it, Jim

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:47 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Style or Trash

Bert DeMars wrote:
When we put up images on FM, theyíre available (and copyable) to the entire internet world, thousands, if not, millions of people. In my opinion, we should never present our nation, our military men and women, in an unflattering manner, no matter the photographic process. We should show the respect due our wonderful country.

In my opinion, your photographic depiction of boy scouts laughing and cavorting in what I assume is a tribute parade to Veteranís day, is not in good taste. The showing of a serviceman, with his gut hanging out (like a woman on the sidewalk) and
...Show more

Bert, The good thing is that you are entitled to your opinion. What you consider disrespectful I view as what freedom means. Due to the men & women that serve, or have served, children can laugh & have fun without fear of being shot in the streets. For point of reference, My grandfather fought in WWI & WWII. My Father fought in WWII & Korea. I served in Vietnam. My younger brother did 3 tours of Vietnam & served in the first desert storm. My son-in-law is 100% disabled after 2 tours of Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. I have 2 nephews and a niece there now and another leaving next month for his forth tour. I believe I have an idea of what honor is. As I said you are entitled to your opinion in America, after all that's what we fought for... Jim

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:00 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #8 · Style or Trash

Bert DeMars wrote:
In my opinion, your photographic depiction of boy scouts laughing and cavorting in what I assume is a tribute parade to Veteranís day, is not in good taste. The showing of a serviceman, with his gut hanging out (like a woman on the sidewalk) and his eyes shut, is also not respectful.

Bert, as a veteran, I do not feel this at all. I see no disrespect what so ever. Just my opinion.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #9 · Style or Trash

I and the country are grateful for you and family's service. And sir, I did not question your honor. What I questioned was the way in which we honor our vets. If you think showing boy scouts jumping around in a parade meant to honor living and fallen vets thatís up to you. If you think you would like to be shown in uniform the way in which you photographed the marching serviceman then thatís your call.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:31 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Style or Trash

Bert DeMars wrote:
I and the country are grateful for you and family's service. And sir, I did not question your honor. What I questioned was the way in which we honor our vets. If you think showing boy scouts jumping around in a parade meant to honor living and fallen vets thatís up to you. If you think you would like to be shown in uniform the way in which you photographed the marching serviceman then thatís your call.

Thanks Bert... Your opinion is always welcome, but it is "your" opinion... I disagree. Jim

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Style or Trash

As a VN vet, I'll stay out of the side discussion - many varied opinions and sensitivities. I choose to keep mine private and quietly respect those of others, whether I agree or not...simply how I deal with the topic and collateral discussion.

To the subject/question at hand, #1 works for me because of the "Rockwell" look, whose work I thoroughly enjoy. The remainder not so - perhaps because one HDR image more than satisfies my visual appetite for that particular style - others are overload.

Don't know whether I've made any sense but there it is

Bob

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:13 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Style or Trash

Bob Jarman wrote:
As a VN vet, I'll stay out of the side discussion - many varied opinions and sensitivities. I choose to keep mine private and quietly respect those of others, whether I agree or not...simply how I deal with the topic and collateral discussion.

To the subject/question at hand, #1 works for me because of the "Rockwell" look, whose work I thoroughly enjoy. The remainder not so - perhaps because one HDR image more than satisfies my visual appetite for that particular style - others are overload.

Don't know whether I've made any sense but there it is

Bob

Thank you Bob... I respect your opinion on both issues. On HDR overload I know what you are saying. After-all, that's why I am here. I had no intent on a HDR look. I was after the "Norman Rockwell" feeling in the boy scout images, and one thing lead to another. I am modifying my PP process as I respond to these post.. Jim

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Style or Trash

oldrattler wrote:
[

Thank you Bob... I respect your opinion on both issues. On HDR overload I know what you are saying. After-all, that's why I am here. I had no intent on a HDR look. I was after the "Norman Rockwell" feeling in the boy scout images, and one thing lead to another. I am modifying my PP process as I respond to these post.. Jim

Well #1 hit the mark And I know about getting swept away with the pp - often a problem of mine don't know when to stop.

Bob

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:35 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Style or Trash

Bob Jarman wrote:
Well #1 hit the mark And I know about getting swept away with the pp - often a problem of mine don't know when to stop.

Bob

Amen, brother...

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Style or Trash

You inspired a new essay which I just posted to my blog.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=1293

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Style or Trash

ben egbert wrote:
You inspired a new essay which I just posted to my blog.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=1293

Ben, I commented on your blog post. By the way, I agree with what you said. My wife says I am a man that pleases everybody; Some when I show up, the rest when I leave. Jim

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Style or Trash

oldrattler wrote:
Ben, I commented on your blog post. By the way, I agree with what you said. My wife says I am a man that pleases everybody; Some when I show up, the rest when I leave. Jim

Good one, I need to remember that one.

I tell people that now that I am retired I have nobody I must please. I am not looking for a job, a new wife or friends. For the first time I don't have to kiss up to anyone. Not that I did before, but now there are fewer consequences.

And thanks for the reply. I get lots of hits but not many replies.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:56 PM
JennyG

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Style or Trash

ben egbert wrote:
Good one, I need to remember that one.

I tell people that now that I am retired I have nobody I must please. I am not looking for a job, a new wife or friends. For the first time I don't have to kiss up to anyone. Not that I did before, but now there are fewer consequences.

And thanks for the reply. I get lots of hits but not many replies.

Hi,

I am new here... just wanted to say I read your blog and enjoyed the bunch of postings I've read so far. I look forward to reading more that you have there. Thanks for taking the time to post it all.

Jenn

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Style or Trash

oldrattler wrote:
My wife says I am a man that pleases everybody; Some when I show up, the rest when I leave.

Ain't that the truth. Guilty as charged over here as well.

BTW .. the pic style (first three in particular) has a kinda retro, gritty, Norman Rockwell, (but not) vibe to it. Not a mainstay style for sure, but it takes me to a different sense of time & place. Still not quite sure @ where that is, but for me, it is kind of surreal and familiar at the same time ... if that makes any sense.

I realize that others have seen it as a bit "unorthodox" for the subject matter (how's that for political correctness ). As an "artform" it reminds me of a time and place with a bit more innocence and carefree aspect to a society that no longer is prevalent in America.

I didn't take it as a form of disrespect (I am DAV), but just a different rendering. I can understand how some feel it to be not properly presented ... but seeing happy boys, and knowing that it is the sacrifices we service members have made that allows them to be free-spirited as they are learning to grow into patriotic men ... well, I'm good with that. After all, a celebration is not exactly the same as a memorial ... they both have their place.

BTW ... I was med (DAV) discharged on 11/11 ... I got to choose the date.

Edited on Nov 20, 2012 at 03:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Style or Trash

JennyG wrote:
Hi,

I am new here... just wanted to say I read your blog and enjoyed the bunch of postings I've read so far. I look forward to reading more that you have there. Thanks for taking the time to post it all.

Jenn

Thanks for reading it, feedback is very helpful.

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password