Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

surfotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

Can't find out much about this lens, the faster Summilux and Summicron get all the attention.
I'd like a 35mm for use on my A900, to be used primarily at landscape apertures.
Anyone have experience with the 35mm Elmarit on FF digital? Thanks.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

I saw mostly film pics. Leica character, sharp, not much distortion. Actually wanted one (and still do).

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:25 PM
telyt
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

First version (uses Series VI filters) isn't much more than good. Look for one of the later versions, which use either Series VII filters or E55 filters, the latter also having a built-in hood.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:35 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

I had one for a few days and it was stellar in te center, less so in the edges and corners.
I would post some examples but without exif info i'm struggling to find the photos from this lens.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:39 PM
surfotog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

I'm looking specifically for info on the latest, version 3 of this lens.
My apologies for the lack of clarity. Thanks for the help.

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

Second and third version are almost the same thing, just built in hood in the last, and maybe a better coating; both are lovely lenses, tack sharp, great contrast and colors.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

I've tested the 35 Elmarit-R (sliding hood version) against Contax 35-70/3.4, Canon 24-70/2.8 and Zeiss 35/2 ZF. It's a small lens and very well built like other Leica lenses. Colors and bokeh look good and smooth and the lens has very good center resolution. I however found both of the Zeiss lenses bit sharper in the corners at all apertures and the 24-70 about the same. Still very good performer. I decided to keep the larger Zeiss 35/2 mostly because of the extra stop makes it easier to focus.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

Better not want much definition past the central area unless it is very dissimilar to the 35/1.4 and 35/2. With a couple of notable exceptions (which will cost several times more than this one), the Leica R wides fall away once past the often spectacular middle, at any aperture you would want to use.

I am sure they had other very different design intentions at heart from CZ, which is why Zeiss is so well accepted for landscape/nature work, and why they get canned so bad for even distant corner drop-off like in the 25/2.

You hear so little about this one, but you never know, I guess.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elmarit-R 35/2.8

I'd like to add that the lens keeps sharpening up until f/11 where the corners have reached better than most sharpness. So for landscapes it's ok if you settle for f/11.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password