Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

I ask because the letter "A" is missing....

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:51 PM
ultrapix
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Nope; "A" have a button to lock aperture ring at smallest aperture; also, they are more plasticky and have a different design.

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:26 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

I believe it's a K
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-50mm-F1.2-Lens.html

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Looks like the SMC-M version to me.

Pretty lens trough. I just bought the 50/1.4 and its great.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:34 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

There is no M version of this lens, only K or A. The A would have a bit smoother bokeh while the K is a bit sharper.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:40 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Yeah, hiepphotog is correct.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:43 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Really? I thought they have the same optics, no?

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:58 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

^^ No concrete data, just the observation from a few Pentaxians having both versions. The K version has one less aperture blade if that would matter.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

It's K.
And the the sharpest of both is actually A (depends on the copy, though).

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:16 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

On Dimitrov's site both the K and the A are referencing the same diagram, there might be improvement in lens coating over time though, but I am not sure.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Thanks everyone...

Okay... so, this is K version...
But, still not as good as 'A' version.... right...?

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

As has been said it is the K version. It's not known if Pentax changed the coating formula between the K and A but many believe so. IIRC the A has nine aperture blades versus the eight blades of the A.
I don't know if the lens is famous or not. I have owned two copies of the A version and it was a nice fast 50mm. Just as so many Pentax lenses the LoCA is there, or very much there. The glow at wide open is quite pronounced. When compared to the SMC-P A50/1.4 and SMC-P A50/1.7 the f1/2 lens is "sharper" at the corresponding aperture values. Bokeh is very personal so you've better judge that yourself.

Above: Some sort of flower, wide open at close distance and then somewhat cropped, taken 2006 with a Pentax ist DS (an 1.5 crop 6MP camera)

From all discussions about this lens at different Pentax forums I don't think the difference between the K and A versions is anything to really care about.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:01 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

Jonas B wrote:
From all discussions about this lens at different Pentax forums I don't think the difference between the K and A versions is anything to really care about.

Indeed. I would not worry about the difference (if any) between the two.

Paul: if by "famous" you mean the Pentax that was tested in that German test of the sharpest 50 1.2, then it is the K version. Obviously, in that test, they did not test any of the M Nocti or the Contax Jahre.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:33 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

I have both the K and A. The A is signifantly much sharper than the K, but the K has smoother bokeh.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

"K"
SMC PENTAX 1:1.2/50, or smc PENTAX 1:1.2 50mm
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/normal/K50f1.2.html

"A"
smc PENTAX-A 1:1.2 50mm
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/normal/A50f1.2.html

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

nixland wrote:
I have both the K and A. The A is signifantly much sharper than the K, but the K has smoother bokeh.

This inverse relationship seems to extend across other brands, generally. The sharper ultra-fast 50s are generally sharper due to over-corrected spherical aberration, which results in edgier, sometimes "nervous", sometimes plain "ugly", bokeh (ie. not smooth, and yes I realize bokeh beauty is subjective).

The rules change when the lens design creeps away from the 50mm mark, which is why we have several examples of fast 55-58mm lenses which strike such a good balance between sharpness and smooth bokeh. Porst 55/1.2, Contax 55/1.2 100 Jahre, Canon FL 55/1.2, Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2, Rokkor 58/1.2, Konica Hexanon 57/1.2, etc. etc.

Some might argue that they like the "sharp 50mm bokeh" better. Granted, people have different taste. I am merely making the observation that it is difficult to find a sharp 50 with creamy bokeh, and much easier to find a sharp 55-58 with creamy bokeh, regardless of manufacturer.

The Zeiss lovers might just ask themselves why Zeiss strayed away from 50mm for the 100 Jahre f1.2; I think it is obvious if you compare the 55/1.2 bokeh to the two Contax 50s.

Minolta, Canon and Nikon users can make the same comparisons between the respective 50s and the "slightly-longer-than-50" lenses. The trend applies seemingly universally.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:02 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

cogitech wrote:
This inverse relationship seems to extend across other brands, generally. The sharper ultra-fast 50s are generally sharper due to over-corrected spherical aberration, which results in edgier, sometimes "nervous", sometimes plain "ugly", bokeh (ie. not smooth, and yes I realize bokeh beauty is subjective).

Yes, I think the same about the over corrected sa. Same thing happened with my Samyang 85/1.4, the first version vs the UMC version. Exactly like the above K vs A comparison .. smoother bokeh vs sharper images

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

cogitech wrote:
The rules change when the lens design creeps away from the 50mm mark, which is why we have several examples of fast 55-58mm lenses which strike such a good balance between sharpness and smooth bokeh. Porst 55/1.2, Contax 55/1.2 100 Jahre, Canon FL 55/1.2, Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2, Rokkor 58/1.2, Konica Hexanon 57/1.2, etc. etc.

Some might argue that they like the "sharp 50mm bokeh" better. Granted, people have different taste. I am merely making the observation that it is difficult to find a sharp 50 with creamy bokeh, and much easier to find a sharp 55-58 with creamy bokeh, regardless of manufacturer.
...Show more
An interesting theory. I have the Jahre myself, and I wouldn't call its bokeh "creamy". Longer FL compresses the scene more so it might appear to be smoother. In the list of your 55-58, I have tried all but the Noct Nik, and the Jahre definitely has better SA correction (less haze/glow) than all of them. So I think, like you said, it might simply be how much they decide to correct for the SA.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is this the famous SMC-A 50/1.2?

hiepphotog wrote:
An interesting theory. I have the Jahre myself, and I wouldn't call its bokeh "creamy". Longer FL compresses the scene more so it might appear to be smoother. In the list of your 55-58, I have tried all but the Noct Nik, and the Jahre definitely has better SA correction (less haze/glow) than all of them. So I think, like you said, it might simply be how much they decide to correct for the SA.

Regarding focal length, my point is that I suspect it is easier to achieve a better sharpness vs. creamy bokeh (or at least "creamier") balance at the slightly longer focal lengths of 55-58mm. The Jahre bokeh may not be "creamy" but it certainly seems"creamier' than the 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 (all things being equal except focal length) and I suspect this is why Zeiss chose not to make it a true 50.

Is it just the compression which provides this bokeh "advantage" (again, subjective I know) or is there something else at play? I don't know, but I suspect there is; the focal length difference seems quite small to me in relative terms. When we jump to 85mm, certainly it is a whole different playing field but from 50 to 55, 57, 58?

Sorry to derail the thread, but it seemed as though the original question was answered quite well. I'm just thinking aloud here...

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password