Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

cameron12x
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Any word on when this body gets and upgrade or replacement?

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:42 PM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Next spring would be nice, but I have no information about when or even if it will be upgraded.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:15 PM
BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Why do you think anyone on a hobbyist camera forum like this one would have this type of inside information?

John

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:19 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Not anytime soon considering the recent release of FW2.x which expanded the capabilities of the 7d further. There's really no direct competition for this camera since its introduction.
Nikon seems to have given up altogether on a sports/speedy semi-pro compact dslr and instead concentrating on FF everything.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

I might replace mine with a 5D3 but no time table yet.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

The price of the 7D has just collapsed at work and I mean it's insanely cheap. I think this might be a last hooray as they get ready for an announcement around the time of PMA early next year of a replacement. It's now 38 months since first release and given the demise of the 1D IV they need a high end cropper to step up to the plate IMO.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Angry
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The price of the 7D has just collapsed at work and I mean it's insanely cheap. I think this might be a last hooray as they get ready for an announcement around the time of PMA early next year of a replacement. It's now 38 months since first release and given the demise of the 1D IV they need a high end cropper to step up to the plate IMO.

Hope your right........Ive been agonising about an upgrade since August,..

Want a crop body, love my 7D but the noise is beginning to drive me nuts....
Was thinking 1D4 ,....even begun to look at 5D3.....

waiting waiting...

Al

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Angry wrote:
Hope your right........Ive been agonising about an upgrade since August,..

Want a crop body, love my 7D but the noise is beginning to drive me nuts....
Was thinking 1D4 ,....even begun to look at 5D3.....

waiting waiting...

Al

I'm not going to get into the whole 7D noise issue, as there is a recent 25 page thread addressing this (non)issue, but I do accept that the 1D IV and 5D III are better, although if you are FL limited they lose their advantage. I can get excellent results to at least ISO 1600 on 7D and have used it at ISO 6400 for good results.

I think most of us that do wildlife would welcome a 7D II that has 5D III AF, 8-10fps, and is 1 stop cleaner. Rumours are it's getting a greatly improved 24MP sensor that will use the same sensor tech as the rumoured high MP FF.
For me it would be enough to get the new AF, a bump to 9fps and 2/3-1 stop clean even if still 18MP.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

cameron12x wrote:

probably next year - or the year after

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Angry
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm not going to get into the whole 7D noise issue, as there is a recent 25 page thread addressing this (non)issue, but I do accept that the 1D IV and 5D III are better, although if you are FL limited they lose their advantage. I can get excellent results to at least ISO 1600 on 7D and have used it at ISO 6400 for good results.

I think most of us that do wildlife would welcome a 7D II that has 5D III AF, 8-10fps, and is 1 stop cleaner. Rumours are it's getting a greatly improved 24MP sensor
...Show more

I agree with you, but when I shoot Warbirds I seem to get lumpy blue skies..n some noise..
7D II should be 5D3AF, 8FPS is OK 9-10 evenbetter, but a little cleaner ...Id be basically happy with that...
Al

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Angry wrote:
I agree with you, but when I shoot Warbirds I seem to get lumpy blue skies..n some noise..
7D II should be 5D3AF, 8FPS is OK 9-10 evenbetter, but a little cleaner ...Id be basically happy with that...
Al

For clean skies, when I shoot BIF's I always expose at least +1.333EV against blue sky and +2EV against overcast sky. At ISO 400-800 the skies are quite clean indeed if I do even at pixel level. They don't need NR in PP at 400 and only a tiny bit at 800.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

I wouldn't expect the 7DFII to get the 1DX/5DIII AF system. You know Canon .

The thing is, cramming 61 AF points in the small crop viewfinder seems somewhat impractical anyway.
So, not sure the 7DII actually needs the 61-point AF system.
It would be very welcome, though, if Canon adds a few extra AF points and improves the AF system as a whole.

The most important thing, of course, is that the 7DII gets a much (!) improved sensor.
Since the 7D series is positioned as a sports body, I wouldn't expect more than 20mp.
16-18mp is more likely, together with a modest speed increase to 9fps.

Overall, I'm hoping for a 16mp low noise sensor, improved 27-point AF system, 9 fps, $1899 max.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

I don't think many people expected the f/8 firmware upgrade for the 1DX and especially the 5D3, or the new FW for the 7D. So maybe they can act unCanon-like again.

I'd be surprised at $1899 though. I think they'll move it upmarket to go after the folks that would have previously gone for a crop 1-series for the reach.

1DX/5D3-like AF, improved sensor (especially if it's over 20mp), and lower noise - I think a 7DII would go for $2.5K-$3K. Somewhere around the used 1D4 prices.

I'd actually pay that, and be happy for the next 3-4 years.

Mark

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

jorkata wrote:
I wouldn't expect the 7DFII to get the 1DX/5DIII AF system. You know Canon .

The thing is, cramming 61 AF points in the small crop viewfinder seems somewhat impractical anyway.
So, not sure the 7DII actually needs the 61-point AF system.
It would be very welcome, though, if Canon adds a few extra AF points and improves the AF system as a whole.

The most important thing, of course, is that the 7DII gets a much (!) improved sensor.
Since the 7D series is positioned as a sports body, I wouldn't expect more than 20mp.
16-18mp is more likely, together with a modest
...Show more

First they said Canon would never give us a D300 challenger, then they released 7D. They said 5D III will get 7D AF at best, but probably same as 5D II and laughed at thought of it getting 1D X AF. I'd be surprised if they didn't give us at least AF that was equal in performance as 5D III if not 61 points.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:35 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

I still think the 45 point AF is an option.... they could claim it's not quite as good as the new 61 point AF and I think it would fit a little more easily in the body. And of course, if it was the 1D MIV version, it would be better than the current 7D AF.

Chris

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:45 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Schlotkins wrote:
I still think the 45 point AF is an option.... they could claim it's not quite as good as the new 61 point AF and I think it would fit a little more easily in the body. And of course, if it was the 1D MIV version, it would be better than the current 7D AF.

Chris

I been saying for years they should have dropped in superseded 1 series AF into 7 and 5 series. Luckily for 5D III we got state-of-the-art 1 series AF. I don't see them using anything from the 1D IV alas, but if they put a 1.3x crop sensor in the 7D II I would be very happy, say with 20MP.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:36 AM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

A lower noise high iso 20mp body 9 fps with a 5dIII AF under 3K and I will have one the day they ship. Even better would be a direct replacement cropper for the 1D MIV. I will keep my current 7d as a second body as it is great.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

rachelsdad wrote:
A lower noise high iso 20mp body 9 fps with a 5dIII AF under 3K and I will have one the day they ship. Even better would be a direct replacement cropper for the 1D MIV. I will keep my current 7d as a second body as it is great.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Angry
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/+1.gif

X 2...

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:45 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D Upgrade/Replacement?

msalvetti wrote:
1DX/5D3-like AF, improved sensor (especially if it's over 20mp), and lower noise - I think a 7DII would go for $2.5K-$3K. Somewhere around the used 1D4 prices.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. Canon will re-position this body to sit in a higher price slot at around $3K. It would make an excellent companion to the 1DX if it retains the advanced AF.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password