Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
  

Archive 2012 · 6D -3 EV???
  
 
esanchez
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 6D -3 EV???


What does it mean that the 6D has "center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV" and what makes it special?


Nov 14, 2012 at 05:03 AM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 6D -3 EV???


"EV" means exposure value, and is an indication of the amount of light. The system was developed by a German photographer and shutter maker named Friedrich Deckel in the 1950s. At any given exposure value there are a number of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed combinations, known as equivalents, that will give the same exposure.

EV -3 is pretty dim, and many cameras' autofocus systems will not be able to lock onto a subject with so little light; so the 6D's AF capability in low light is pretty astounding. It would be great for wedding and event photographers, and anyone doing a lot of existing light photography.

For an idea of how dim EV -3 is, if you were using an f/1.4 lens at ISO 100 you'd need a shutter speed of 15 seconds. It's about as much light as a moonlit night.

The regular AF sensors work by locking onto areas with distinct patterns and comparing the phase shift as they rack focus. (Live View Focus uses a different method, Contrast Detection.) "Cross-type" sensors can work with either vertical or horizontal lines on subjects, making them more accurate with a variety of subjects.



Nov 14, 2012 at 05:27 AM
Bijltje
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 6D -3 EV???


BrianO wrote:
"EV" means exposure value, and is an indication of the amount of light. The system was developed by a German photographer and shutter maker named Friedrich Deckel in the 1950s. At any given exposure value there are a number of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed combinations, known as equivalents, that will give the same exposure.

EV -3 is pretty dim, and many cameras' autofocus systems will not be able to lock onto a subject with so little light; so the 6D's AF capability in low light is pretty astounding. It would be great for wedding and event photographers, and anyone doing
...Show more

Thanks for the clear explanation!
For comp arising, do u also know the EV's of other camera's autofocus? For example the 5D3 and 30D?



Nov 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 6D -3 EV???


I think 5d3 is -2 and the 1div/iii is -1.
I had this pamphlet that canon sent me and it had all of the EV of cameras minus the 6d, 1dx and 5d3.



Nov 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · 6D -3 EV???


Bijltje wrote:
Thanks for the clear explanation!
For comp arising, do u also know the EV's of other camera's autofocus? For example the 5D3 and 30D?


5D IIIs AF went down to -2 EV (like 1D Xs
5D IIs AF offers - 0.5 EV, EOS 30, 40, 50, 60D the same



Nov 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
onegreatcity
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 6D -3 EV???


This was new and useful information for me, thanks all.


Nov 14, 2012 at 01:07 PM
WesN
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · 6D -3 EV???


I just checked the Canon Camera Museum and as others mentioned the 5DIII is -2 and the 30D is -0.5.

Wes N.



Nov 14, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · 6D -3 EV???


What makes it special?

When I tested the 6D, Canon offered a darkened cave beside the (photokina) booth.
I did a test shot with 50mm 1.4 at ISO 12.800 (as far I remember). I did not really recognize any motive, just realised some less darker spots I targeted upon. The AF grabed immediatelly without any hunting and I did the picture. Watching the screen I recogniced I was shooting something like a collection of boxes glued to the "caves wall" and zooming into the picture I could read the text printed on them! It looked razorsharp (in focus). That felt mind blowing (my mind, of course ).

Edited on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM · View previous versions



Nov 14, 2012 at 01:09 PM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · 6D -3 EV???


There is another element other than just EV - it's the general effectiveness of the focus system and whether a point is cross or non cross (or dual cross in the 5d3/1dx AF system).

I've never really believed the 5dii's (centre point) AF system was effective in particularly dark conditions. It was "OK".



Nov 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · 6D -3 EV???


Ralph Conway wrote:
What makes it special?

When I tested the 6D, Canon offered a darkened cave beside the (photokina) booth.
I did a test shot with 50mm 1.4 at ISO 12.800 (as far I remember). I did not really recognize any motive, just realised some less darker spots I targeted upon. The AF graped immediatelly without any hunting and I did the picture. Watching the screen I recogniced I was shooting something like a collection of boxes glued to the "caves wall" and zooming into the picture I could read the text printed on them! It looked razorsharp (in focus). That felt mind
...Show more




Nov 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · 6D -3 EV???


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
There is another element other than just EV - it's the general effectiveness of the focus system and whether a point is cross or non cross (or dual cross in the 5d3/1dx AF system).

I've never really believed the 5dii's (centre point) AF system was effective in particularly dark conditions. It was "OK".


+ 100



Nov 14, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Tom Dix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · 6D -3 EV???


Maybe Ralph is correct about the 6D. It just may be a truly outstanding camera at about 2K; price most surely to settle lower. It has piqued my interest in this camera.


Nov 14, 2012 at 05:26 PM
esanchez
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · 6D -3 EV???


Thanks for the info guys... So it's sounds like a killer low light camera. High ISO, -3EV, along with F1.2 - F2 lens...huh...


Nov 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Wahoowa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · 6D -3 EV???


I don't think Canon has ever released the sensitivity of the outer points of 5D Mark II. Anyone knows how sensitive they are?


Nov 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM
WesN
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · 6D -3 EV???


Canon Museum says 5DII is -0.5 (obviously the center point), no mention of the outer points.



Nov 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM
fraga
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · 6D -3 EV???


If memory serves me correctly, -3EV is for the center point only.


Nov 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Wahoowa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · 6D -3 EV???


WesN wrote:
Canon Museum says 5DII is -0.5 (obviously the center point), no mention of the outer points.


In my opinion, I doubt they go as low as -0.5 EV. I believe 6D is the first camera ever that Canon reveals the sensitivity of the outer focus points that are not cross-type. One test that I'd like to do if I could get my hands on both 5D2 and 6D is to test them side-by-side on the performance of the outer focus points. If they have the same sensitivity, I guess we're all screwed by Canon, big time.



Nov 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · 6D -3 EV???


Wahoowa wrote:
I don't think Canon has ever released the sensitivity of the outer points of 5D Mark II. Anyone knows how sensitive they are?


+10EV




Nov 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Wahoowa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · 6D -3 EV???


Pixel Perfect wrote:
+10EV



With how those points actually work in the field, it's reasonable to think that's the case, isn't it.



Nov 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · 6D -3 EV???


Yes, only center point works -3 EV.

And yes, the outer points are no cross-type, but in my experience they worked very fine compared to those in my 5D II. I did this test on photokina, Wahoowa, even it was quick and basic.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150348/4#10986968

Ralph



Nov 15, 2012 at 06:17 AM
1
       2       3       4       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password