Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

cmpdesignz2010
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

There are certain card designs I have always wanted to see my work featured in. I when the first of these was done, and I was cheering for the Mets, not photographing them from the rest. Heck, I didn't even know what hockey was in 1984.

But, I was sitting around the other day, had Illustrator open, and decided to start tracing. This is the end results. Hardest part is finding the "old school" fonts.

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 04:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

More to come...

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM
sandman22
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Pretty sweet stuff Chris !

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:13 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Chris, that is really, really cool. I seriously think I could sell these as posters. Would be a really cool way to give a retro look that would be something to the dad who buys it -- and the kid whose picture is featured.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Chris these are some sweet looking cards. You did a great job on these.

Sent you a PM also...

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:19 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

This is fantastic stuff.

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:24 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Thanks everyone. Working on a whole bunch more. Gotta tell you, for simple designs they really are a pain in the you know where.

I'm assuming back in the day all of these were done by some sort of pre-press overlay. Some of the shapes and strokes are a real difficult in vector.

Gives me much more respect for what designers did back in the day and I'm loving every minute of it!!!

For those who asked about these as templates, I am addressing two main issues:

1. They look very awkward as 8x10 or 16x20. Cards are typically 2.5x3.5, so enlargements would be 5x7, 10x14, 20x28 and so on. You can expand the design to the larger size in width, but like I said, looks awkward.

2. The old fonts aren't free. I have them because they came with a package I bought from Adobe. I can't legally distribute them, and haven't had time to try and find free versions. So I can sell you the template, but you'd be on your own for the font.

Thoughts on the issues

Edited on Nov 14, 2012 at 02:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:53 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Frank Lauri wrote:
Chris these are some sweet looking cards. You did a great job on these.

Sent you a PM also...

PM answered.

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:54 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Change the pure white paper to more of a faded look and these would be perfect. They're damn near perfect as-is. I love them.

Hell, you could even desaturate the whole thing when done to give it even more of a aged look. Great work.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:01 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Simply awesome!

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Great work!

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:44 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Chris is consistently top shelf on design work. I now know what my wife is going to give me for Christmas... Chris Templates.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:34 PM
matthewo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

nice stuff, as a kid I collected late 80s early 90s baseball cards, brings back memories...

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:43 PM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Hot off the presses - 1986 Donruss Baseball.

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:48 PM
tonebag
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

matthewo wrote:
nice stuff, as a kid I collected late 80s early 90s baseball cards, brings back memories...

+1

I actually still have quite a few of the hockey ones left. Top notch work as always Chris. I'm a huge fan of your work. I find myself doing the exact same thing (tracing cards) sometimes when I'm bored - helps keep the pen tool sharp! But I've been trying it with more recent cards. I actually enjoy trying to figure out how the real designers do it. Your post brings back memories of some classic designs. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Tony

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:21 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

This is amazingly high quality work- both the photographs and the designing... Fantastic job!

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM
rdalrt
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Incredible stuff! I love them all. Wish I had the talent. I would buy them as templates even without the fonts.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

Applause! So you make the great retro template, have great photos, but then how are you,lucky enou that your shots fit and are framed perfectly too by all the different templates? If it were me, I would spend a.l that time making a template, and then not finding one shot that works with it. You found perfect shots that worked with each one, grat job.

Guy

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:01 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

gschlact wrote:
Applause! So you make the great retro template, have great photos, but then how are you,lucky enou that your shots fit and are framed perfectly too by all the different templates? If it were me, I would spend a.l that time making a template, and then not finding one shot that works with it. You found perfect shots that worked with each one, grat job.

Guy

Thank you for the kind words about my work. I have spent a lot of time o the design, making sure that they work for everything. I am also very fortunate to have a large library of images to select from because I shoot so much.

Often times at an event, I will shoot something specifically for a design later on. I shoot a bit looser than I usually do when doing this. I also find this helps my sales editorially because I am keeping in mind the position of a text or cover layout.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:33 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Paying Homage To Card Designers Before Me

mdalby wrote:
Chris is consistently top shelf on design work. I now know what my wife is going to give me for Christmas... Chris Templates.

Too funny!!! I guess I'm going to have to figure out a way to offer gift certificates in the future.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password