New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · UPDATED - Question about calibration and monitor brightness

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · UPDATED - Question about calibration and monitor brightness

They look fine on my monitor....maybe a little pale and slightly lacking saturation.....but then my monitor isn't set for brightness using the camera method for the reasons I have outlined above.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:29 AM
RHPS

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · UPDATED - Question about calibration and monitor brightness

anthonygh wrote:
With my monitor brightness at the level my calibration device set...the settings on my camera (using a G1X at the moment) are 1/20 x f5.6 x ISO 400

I did a print a little while ago.......the print pretty much matches the monitor image.

Wow! Never seen anything near that low. I have never tried this with an iMac, but I can't see any reason why the photometry should be any different. I'll just have to find someone with an iMac so I can take a look myself.

DigMeTX - I can't see any real problems with your images, although for my taste they would benefit from a bit more contrast in the mid-tones. Certainly no seriously blown highlights or blocked shadows.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · UPDATED - Question about calibration and monitor brightness

DigMeTX wrote:
Ok, here are a few that I edited after setting brightness using the camera method and then using the Colormunki Smile to calibrate colors. I'd love for anyone with a fully hardware-calibrated monitor to comment on what you think about the colors and brightness that you see here.

Brad, I'm not sure what you expect to get from this process but one thing is certain - calibrating and profiling a monitor will not directly affect the numeric values of the colours in the image. The images are too bright. Consider the first shot - was the sky meant to be white or blue ? Consider the last shot - are the colour values on the girl's face meant to be up around 97% ? I'd expect not - that's whiter than my legs I reckon it's numerically a good stop too bright no matter what your display shows.

Herein lies a problem with calibration and profiling - you need a set of values that works well for general viewing of the image that produces plausible results - e.g. the white of an ocean wave breaking in direct sunlight should look bright and white rather than grey. However, a print viewed in a typical room at night will not look anywhere near bright enough and to mimic the capabilities of the print you might be tempted to lower the brightness of your monitor. That's quite ok for judging what the print will look like but certainly not for editing files that will be presented to others. That's because I might always view my prints in direct sunlight and so my monitor might be set much brighter than yours.

I looked at the images in Lightroom 4 with the 2012 process engine and a linear tone curve.

Another issue that will never be resolved by colour profiling and calibrating is the correct white balance. That is best fixed by using a grey card or a colour chart in one of the images and use that to determine the WB for a neutral patch in that lighting, and then apply that WB to the other images taken in the same lighting. However, it can always get messy when you have some of the image in sunlight, some in shade, and perhaps some lit with flash.

All the profiling will do is help to ensure that the monitor has the greatest possible chance of displaying any colour in the image file correctly, but that in itself won't mean that the colour value value in the file was actually correct for the scene as you saw it.

In case I just missed something, what is your target brightness for the monitor in Cd/m2 ? I typically use about 120 Cd/m2 to display images that look reasonably good on screen, but drop it down to 90 Cd/m2 for editing images to look ok on a print on my wall under the room lights.

[it's very late here and I ought to be asleep, so I just hope that I haven't written something in a way that confuses anyone]

- Alan

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:08 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · UPDATED - Question about calibration and monitor brightness

I have used the following link to try and quickly calibrate my monitor and to learn the concept of color management:

http://www.metalvortex.com/chart/

This method is not a substitution for a good monitor callibration device. I use the X-Rite i1Display 3 to callibrate my wide gammut, IPS monitor every other month. The problem with this device is that it does not let you set the luminance level. The low cost callibrators all don't let you set the luminance (that I have found). X-Rite does make the i1Display Pro which will let you set the luminance during the callibration process and it cost around $300. I use the i1Display Pro every other month. IPS displays get very hot and need regular callibration because the heat will put the monitor out of callibration.

My color management workflow is to callibrate the monitor and use the profile generated by the callibrator in color management in Win 7. I then use the ICC printer profile for the paper I'm going to be using. When I'm ready to print, I use color management in LR 4 and not the printer for color management. I then use soft proofing in LR 4 to get an idea what the print will look like and if any adjustments are needed.

I print to an Epson 2880 and my monitor is the Dell U3011 with the brightness set at 55% and contrast set at 50%. The color space I use in camera is sRGB. LR 4 and my printer are also set to sRGB. My workflow produces prints which are the same brightness as I see on my monitor.

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · UPDATED - Question about calibration and monitor brightness

I'm having what seems like very basic issues compared to what's been discussed here. I'll be following this thread.

Kevin

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.