Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

sdemaio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

I just purchased the 5D Mark III and am looking for a new set up since my ballhead just failed on me. So I am looking at the Markins Q3T ballhead with the Markins L bracket. My longest/heaviest lens is a 70-200L IS 2.8 and my tripod is the Gitzo GT 1541. Also, I'm finding mixed advice on going with quick release lever vs. the screw knob on the ballhead. I know that the majority of photographers talk about the RRS L bracket and really like it but the debate between the RRS ballhead vs. Markins ballhead system to lean towards the Markins with my equipment. So I thought, stay with the same brand for everything if I go with the Q3T. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated. I have never owned an L bracket but have always been interested getting one thus the need for advice.

Edited on Nov 14, 2012 at 03:32 AM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:03 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

Staying with a screw knob on the ball head gives you the ability to use any AS plate you wish without concern over different brand combinations. My casual shooting is not so demanding that I miss a shot having to unscrew and screw the knob. Others may find it important, you'll have to see what they say.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:23 PM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

Thanks dgdg for the response. I can see now how the screw can be more flexible if you had multiple brands of plates. I had a lever on my manfrotto ballhead that just broke (had it for about 12 years). I will probably stick with the Markins plates if I end up going with that brand. I am hoping both the lever and knob are both solid. The lever just seems easier but it may be what I am used to. I'm trying to make the best choice with this new set up because it seems like a lot of $$ to put out. I hate not being able to have a hands-on look at what I'm buying.

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:03 PM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

I am a very happy long time user of the Really Right Stuff Lever Quick Release clamps, and use them with the RRS L brackets. If you think you may want to go that way some day, you might want to consider getting a RRS L bracket right now, so that it would always work perfectly with their lever clamps. You could also consider putting one of the two sizes of RRS lever clamps on a Markins ball head, either right now or in the future. And the RRS lever release system is far and away better than which ever of the Manfrotto lever release systems you had, with fast simple secure operation that becomes second nature.

I prefer and use RRS ball heads, but there are a lot of other brands that work well too. As I understand it, the clamp on a Markins head is normally put on with Loctite, and can be difficult to remove for future changes. But you may be able to order it without Loctite, or without a clamp at all if you want to put a RRS lever clamp on right away.

The RRS ball heads and their clamps have an interlocking tab and slot system, which allows easy changing of clamps with no need at all for Loctite, so that is another feature of their ball heads and system that is not allways appreciated for someone doing comparison shopping. In seconds I can change my clamp from a screw clamp to a lever release clamp or even a panoramic clamp, and never have any fear that the clamp will rotate or come loose on the stem of the ball.

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sdemaio
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

Thanks Roland for the advice. It seems that you really like the RRS products. Concerning the L bracket, the RRS L bracket gets the nod, so I think I will revisit that website and reviews before I make my decision. The Manfrotto that just broke was the 488RC2 and was sufficient for what it was. I am looking forward to getting an upgrade though.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:50 AM
kpjsy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

I am looking at the Markins Q3 Travler, too. Markins, it doesn't matter if you pick the lever or the knob. The lever is ADJUSTABLE to any plate, which is fantastic. The only thing is... which ever brand plates you pick. Stick with one. There's no point in adjusting for different plates. It's best having to adjust for one brand. Otherwise, pick the knob if you don't want to deal with adjustments. Tried and true. I really wanted to pick markins L-bracket because I heard it's slimmer and lighter, but I heard there was some flex in the vertical position. I went with RRS, and to be honest. Once I put the RRS bracket on my camera body it just disappears from my sight. Light and thing enough. It's a solid looking bracket. Don't even have to adjust the way it sits horizontally to put in my right angle mini usb cable for tethering, or my shutter release cable.

Planning to go with Markins when I have the funds. Hope that helps.

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:38 AM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Markins L Bracket for Canon 5D Mark III

Kpjsy - thanks for your input. I did just put in my order for the Markins Q3T and I went with the lever. My gut said go with the screw clamp but after watching several YouTube videos and how quick and easy the lever was, I went with the lever. I do plan on sticking with the Markins plates so I should be ok there. Now the L bracket - I hope I didn't make a mistake here. I had response from other venues from Markins L plate users and they said the bracket was great although I have to admit there are a whole lot more RRS L bracket users out there that love that the RRS bracket that responded. But they had no experience with the Markins brand. So I went against the crowd and took a chance on the Markins. I like sticking with one brand and those who responded that actually had the bracket had nothing but praise for it, so I hope I made the right decision there. I'll let you all know how it is when I get it on the camera. A friend of mine has the RRS bracket so I have something to compare it to. Thanks all for the getting back to me.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password