New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

mattharris19

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I gave the knock off LEE 82mm WA adapter on eBay a try and it works great. I have an Authentic 77mm one and its exactly the same but bigger. Only 12$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-82mm-Metal-Adapter-ring-for-LEE-holder-4-4-4-5-65-/150878386956?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item23210d7b0c

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:39 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

mattharris19 wrote:
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I gave the knock off LEE 82mm WA adapter on eBay a try and it works great. I have an Authentic 77mm one and its exactly the same but bigger. Only 12$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-82mm-Metal-Adapter-ring-for-LEE-holder-4-4-4-5-65-/150878386956?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item23210d7b0c

Is this actually metal What I hate about the actual Lee 82mm wide angle adaptor is that it is aluminum, unlike the 77mm version. I find that it tends to bind to the filters and is extremely difficult to get off.

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:15 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

It sure seems like a good option for the 17 T/S DIY adapter

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

mattharris19 wrote:

khurram1 wrote:
Is this actually metal What I hate about the actual Lee 82mm wide angle adaptor is that it is aluminum, unlike the 77mm version. I find that it tends to bind to the filters and is extremely difficult to get off.

The eBay description says it's metal.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:12 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Just ordered one, will give it a whirl

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:29 PM
iweiner

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Lubricate the threads with Molylube to prevent binding!! I found this necessary with my step-up rings and filters. With digital my only filters are the polarizer (infrequently used) and a clear 'UV' for lens protection, Secondly, do loosen the rings and filters to catch binding early.

irv weiner

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:15 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

They are ALL aluminum, which is not the cause of binding. That is the finish. You can avoid binding by NEVER screwing filters on all the way, and applying a very tiny drop of oil or wax to the threads when you get the filters. It will last for some time.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Deanh
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Since my Lee adapter has been back ordered since August I will give this one a try.

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:02 PM
wnichols
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Just ordered the 77mm from them. The auction title said for Lee but the description said for Cokin so I asked them. He said they were for the the Lee Foundation system and this one was the WA version. We'll see how it works since mine is back ordered from Adorama anyway.

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:26 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

link no longer works. I found another listing from China, is this the same one

It doesn't say if its a wide angle adaptor ring, or the regular 82mm ring.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:28 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Jeffrey wrote:
They are ALL aluminum, which is not the cause of binding. That is the finish. You can avoid binding by NEVER screwing filters on all the way, and applying a very tiny drop of oil or wax to the threads when you get the filters. It will last for some time.

thanks for the advice - will try using wax or oil - any specific types you can suggest?

There is a definite difference between the finish between the 77mm WA Lee rings and the 82mm WA rings. the 77mm feel like metal, the 82mm are obviously aluminum. I've never had binding issues with the 77mm, but always seem to have issues with the 82mm rings. I have tried not screwing them in all the way, but occasionally have accidently still ended up having the rings being screwed in when rotating the lens hood, since most of the filters i use are thinner mount (B+W xs Pro). at times, the only way i've been able to remove the filters is by breaking the filter (filter wrench doesn't seem to work), which is expensive given the cost of these filters.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

khurram1 wrote:
thanks for the advice - will try using wax or oil - any specific types you can suggest?

I use a wax-based bicycle chain lubricant. I just put a little on a paper towel and then rub that onto the filter threads. Then use a dry towel to remove any excess. Been doing this for about ten years now with no problems. Once dry it's unnoticeable and won't run, spread, drip, stain, attract dirt, etc.

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:48 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Jan Brittenson wrote:
I use a wax-based bicycle chain lubricant. I just put a little on a paper towel and then rub that onto the filter threads. Then use a dry towel to remove any excess. Been doing this for about ten years now with no problems. Once dry it's unnoticeable and won't run, spread, drip, stain, attract dirt, etc.

Thanks, will give that a try!

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:54 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lee knock off 82mm WA adapter GREAT

Mine has still never come, just for your information...I get communication from them, telling me to be patient, but it is coming up 2 months...o well lucky it is only $12...

Time to get a real one I guess

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:28 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.