Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · View to a kill

eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · View to a kill

codroy wrote:
Fantastic action series...perfect paw hold around neck and stare in #6...and what a clean choke in #9....#11 though comes out trump in this set, it is the perfect frame for the after-kill...

Many, many thanks for such nice words...those little subtle ways the leopard positioned the impala and the "hug" were just so interesting to watch.
Eric

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:52 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · View to a kill

kmunroe wrote:
excellent action set Eric

Glad you enjoyed them Ken.
Eric

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:53 PM
sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · View to a kill

Eric for got to ask if he was joined later by other scavengers or did he get to enjoy his kill in peace ? Special thanks to your wife for the great video.

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:54 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · View to a kill

David Leask wrote:
Great stuff Eric, excellent work
David

Thanks so much David....it was amazing to watch and as you saw there was very little sound except my shutter.
Eric

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:54 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · View to a kill

Ted ellis wrote:
Holy Guacamole!

Dynamite series Eric!

Very much appreciated Ted...this is my holy grail type of sighting...it might not be pretty but it is pretty damn cool to see!
Eric

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:55 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · View to a kill

sritri wrote:
Breath taking Eric straight for the carotid as you said

Thanks Shreeni...so you think this isn't its first kill...only 20 months old and already an old hand at this killing stuff...really amazing!
Eric

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:57 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · View to a kill

sritri wrote:
Eric for got to ask if he was joined later by other scavengers or did he get to enjoy his kill in peace ? Special thanks to your wife for the great video.

I will pass on your thanks...she really did a great job!
And she got to enjoy the kill at least overnight and into the morning. We came back around 6:15 and the kill was still on the ground and she was nearby. She had eaten a fair bit but there was plenty left if any other predator/scavenger wanted some. And there was a large pride of lions about 1km away...which is practically next door when the wind blows the scent....so I would hope that once she lightened the load a bit she would have taken it up into a tree. Remember an adult male impala probably weighs twice as much if not more than she does and until she removes the intestines, stomach and other organs and gets some of the meat away from the rump and legs it probably is too heavy to hoist.
Eric

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · View to a kill

Great job, Eric. These images reflect the wild "beauty" of Leopards in their environment and capture the drama of death
Socrate

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · View to a kill

Shasoc wrote:
Great job, Eric. These images reflect the wild "beauty" of Leopards in their environment and capture the drama of death
Socrate

Many thanks! Death comes in all manners, tooth and claw, talon, venom and those that can only imagined and designed by Homo sapiens....but when the slayer comes in the form of these magnificent spotted cats we who view it experience some ambivalence that only Mother Nature could have conceived.
It is the beauty and power coupled with the stealth and almost nonchalant attitude of big cats that draws me to them like no other animal. And when they stare into your eyes, and believe me their stares reach right down to your very soul, that is when you are hooked on them for life!
Eric

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:35 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · View to a kill

What a great post, Eric. Kudos to you and your wife.
I think #6 says it all. A very powerful image.
Chris

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · View to a kill

A terrific combination of stills, video and narration, Eric.
And a lifetime experience for you also.
I knew that cheetahs grabbed their prey by the throat and suffocated them, but it's new to me that leopards also do it- especially since their whole hunting style is different than cheetahs.
Thanks for sharing all this with us.
Charlie

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Lance B
• • •
p.3 #12 · View to a kill

What a stunning set of captures, Eric! Thank you for this photo documentary and the info on how a leopard kills it's prey. Thankful to know the animal dies quickly.

As a matter of interest, what are the objects just in front of the truck(?) in the forground?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.3 #13 · View to a kill

Great!
Brian

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · View to a kill

CDaescher wrote:
What a great post, Eric. Kudos to you and your wife.
I think #6 says it all. A very powerful image.
Chris

Thank you Chris...I have waited and waited for kills to be attempted and they usually don't occur so this was even more special....with only a 4 minute wait...pretty cool.
Eric

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:29 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · View to a kill

Charlie Shugart wrote:
A terrific combination of stills, video and narration, Eric.
And a lifetime experience for you also.
I knew that cheetahs grabbed their prey by the throat and suffocated them, but it's new to me that leopards also do it- especially since their whole hunting style is different than cheetahs.
Thanks for sharing all this with us.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie...it is less the hunting style and more the weaponry. The canines are designed to fit neatly in the spinal canal and with gentle pressure the carotid artery can be compressed or the wind pipe compressed. Someone knew what they were doing with this amazingly designed creature!
Eric

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:30 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · View to a kill

Lance B wrote:
What a stunning set of captures, Eric! Thank you for this photo documentary and the info on how a leopard kills it's prey. Thankful to know the animal dies quickly.

As a matter of interest, what are the objects just in front of the truck(?) in the forground?

Many thanks Lance. It is quite interesting to note just how quiet the whole episode was. Very different than the death of buffalo at the "hands" of lions or wart hogs who squeal and seem to be in agony.
I believe the objects you are referring to are elephant droppings...they seem to be strewn all over.
Eric

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:36 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · View to a kill

Reeftank1 wrote:
Great!
Brian

Muchas gracias!
Eric

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:37 AM
signo
• • •
p.3 #18 · View to a kill

Really Fantastic!! The last video is amazing.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:34 PM
sdgnh
• • • •
p.3 #19 · View to a kill

WOW, such an amazing sequence!!! The closest I ever get to these great cats is at the Wild Animal Park. You bring the real hunt to life here. Thank you!
Nancy

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:39 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · View to a kill

signo wrote:
Really Fantastic!! The last video is amazing.

Thanks very much...the video work is courtesy of my wife....it was nice knowing that was being done and I could concentrate on stills.
Eric

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:50 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password