Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

>> ;http://fjwestcott.com/product/apollo-and-halo/apollo-bundle-holiday-promo-offer<<;

I don't see any information as to when this deal expires.
Wondering also, if this means new models are about to be released?

Seeking information from owners who have used these products.
In the video on the Westcott page link, the speedlight is waay OFF centered, it is almost at the top of the box.
Certainly, this would cause uneven light ?
I guess the only recourse would be to point the speedlight downward into the box as far as possible?
Aren't there better holding rigs that offset this correctly? Any links?
Thanks.

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:41 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

<< ;http://www.speedlightsolutions.com/>>;
Hmm, looks interesting...

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:19 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

buggz2k wrote:
Seeking information from owners who have used these products. In the video on the Westcott page link, the speedlight is waay OFF centered, it is almost at the top of the box. Certainly, this would cause uneven light ? I guess the only recourse would be to point the speedlight downward into the box as far as possible? Aren't there better holding rigs that offset this correctly?

The off-center Speedlight isn't as much of a problem as one might imagine; a lot of the light is bounced around inside the box before coming out the front. Since angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, aiming the Speedlight down toward the center of the back wall would possibly make things worse, not better. (I haven't tried it, though; I'm just speculating.)

Being nit-picky about such things, though, I wanted my Speedlite centered as much as possible, so I bought the L-bracket that comes with the Mini-Apollo and adapted it to my 28-inch Apollo. I've since shortened it so that the Speedlite fires from above the bar, but I don't have a recent photo. Here is an older one taken before I shortened it; it worked pretty well even then:

Edited on Nov 12, 2012 at 03:40 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:27 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

If I turn the power of the Speedlite way down I can see shadows on the diffuser panel cast by the light stand, bracket, Speedlite, etc., but at actual shooting power any shadows are indiscernible, particularly on the subject. (The three-light portrait shown was taken with the 28-inch Apollo as fill, 11-inch BeautiDish with grid as hair light, and 20-inch BeautiDish (not shown) as key light.)

Edited on Nov 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:36 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

Nice, thanks again!

I'm thinking, I should go for this sale deal...

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

buggz2k wrote:
...I'm thinking, I should go for this sale deal...

$200 bucks for all three? If I didn't already have most of what I need I'd sure go for it.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:47 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

Is the 28" Apollo sturdier in build than the Apollo Orb?

brad

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

DigMeTX wrote:
Is the 28" Apollo sturdier in build than the Apollo Orb?

I haven't tried the Orb, but I've heard quite a few reports that it's a bit flimsy. No such reports about the Apollo; it has two ribs at each corner for redundancy, and "golf umbrella" style spokes and fittings. I wouldn't toss one open off the roof of a building, but other than something like that I think it's rugged enough for any normal use.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:17 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

Ordered this holiday bundle.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:33 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

Now have to buy stands and brackets, that is, if I want use this stuff...

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:36 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

The 28 is amazing. The orb is a piece of shit.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM
ether1
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

Original post is from Nov 13....somehow I haven't seen the post till now and the links don't work anymore

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:10 PM
hammer2k911
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

BH

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897244-REG/Westcott_q42012a_Apollo_Bundle_Holiday_Promo.html

Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/WEA3K.html

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Westcott Apollo Bundle Holiday Promo Offer with 3 Apollo Softboxes

ether1 wrote:
Original post is from Nov 13....somehow I haven't seen the post till now and the links don't work anymore

The links were bad even when first posted; there are non-standard characters at the ends. Here's what they should have been:

http://fjwestcott.com/product/apollo-and-halo/apollo-bundle-holiday-promo-offer

http://www.speedlightsolutions.com

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.