Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Couple.

ArunB

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Couple.

Hi All, Greetings
Posting a street image for critiques.. A newbie here.
Regards.

Couple

Couple by Arun Balagopalan, on Flickr

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Couple.

Nice image. Vignetting might be a bit heavy for some but I like it. This comes down to a matter of taste. The motion blur does not work for me and I am mainly a landscaper who tries to avoid people cluttering my images.

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:27 PM
ArunB

p.1 #3 · Couple.

Thank you for the quick reply Camperjim.. In fact I have a shot without people..
Thought that human elements will add more sense to the image. But the blur spoiled it, it seems.. Was not quick enough to change the mode and set a higher shutter speed.
Here is the shot without a careful processing.

NoHuman by Arun Balagopalan, on Flickr

Thanks again.

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · Couple.

As I said, I think this is just a matter of taste. If you like the motion blur and the poeple, then that's great. Whenever we shoot together, my wife gravitates to the people and features them in her images. I avoid them. I can shoot in a busy place and return with no people in my images. Maybe that style reflects my antisocial traits.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:26 PM
sadja
• •
p.1 #5 · Couple.

I vote for no people, but I would rotate image to level the top of the windows.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Couple.

Arun, welcome to FM - at least as an active contributor. It didn't hurt too much, did it

I too tend to be a people avoider but in your first shot I thought it was more positive than negative to have them included. It shows that the place being photographed had not been abandoned and still has some life. I'm even inclined to accept the motion blur but note my next paragraph...

The contrast and sharpness are a bit overcooked for my taste. It conveys a brightness in the scene that I think was not really there, which makes it look a bit too artificial, especially in view of the motion blur on the people - that is really only plausible if there is a belief that the scene was sufficiently dark, which contradicts the impression created by the contrast and sharpening levels. Then again, the shading under the windows implies that the scene was reasonably bright.

I'm not too keen on the vignetting at the top but I suspect that it is actually shadow from a roof. Do you have a shot that includes the roof ? Would including a bit of the roof detract from the picture by adding clutter or would it close the top of it ? I suspect it might detract by causing the lower awning to form a line right through the middle of the picture, which is rarely a good thing.

Don't take anything bad or negative from my comments. They are just an example of the variety of thoughts that different viewers can elicit from a single image. Some will be more technical than others, and some more artistic than others. There's no one right way to capture the image.

More generally, I much prefer it when people include some basic EXIF data in or with the shots they post so that (1) we can better imagine how they were captured and perhaps learn from them, and (2) we can better understand whether or not you made a mistake in the capture (such as using too low an ISO, or whatever) and whether or not you had other options available to you (e.g. you might not have been able to increase the ISO and hence the shutter speed).

- Alan

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Couple.

Alan321 wrote:
Arun, welcome to FM - at least as an active contributor. It didn't hurt too much, did it

I too tend to be a people avoider but in your first shot I thought it was more positive than negative to have them included. It shows that the place being photographed had not been abandoned and still has some life. I'm even inclined to accept the motion blur but note my next paragraph...

The contrast and sharpness are a bit overcooked for my taste. It conveys a brightness in the scene that I think was not really there, which makes it look
...Show more

+1 on exif. I always want to start with the capture rather than a salvage operation.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:21 PM
ArunB

p.1 #8 · Couple.

Thanks again Camperjim.

Thank you sadja for the suggestion.

Alan321 wrote:

The contrast and sharpness are a bit overcooked for my taste. It conveys a brightness in the scene that I think was not really there, which makes it look
...Show more
Thanks for the welcome Alan.

Those are some really good thoughts on that image Alan, but for for me I see that my story is not really conveyed here. . There is no worse than explaining ones own photograph, or for that matter ones own poem, painting or story, I still would like to explain what I saw there.

There are 2 cycles one of them being a ladies one. There are windows in pair with half of the panes open. There are doors in pair. There are 2 floors. There is this nice color pair of yellow and green. I so wished that a human pair would come there to make my image more meaningful. Yes,they came, a tourist couple and the lady is with a headscarf!! What more could you ask for?? Poor &**!!@#@ me.. I wouldn't have learned my new Olympus OM-D perfectly as it is the third day that beast is in my hands. I shot with whatever settings I had and yea, there you get a motion blur with 1/30s. ( Exif is ISO 200 at f/7.1). I am relatively a newbie in photography having owned a pre-used Nikon D70s for the past one year with a nikkor 50/1.8 (Which annoyingly gave me these two habits - shooting at base ISO and never changing the focal length, even though you are using a zoom lens.)
By the way, I like blur when I am shooting people. I am not sure whether it's my incapability to shoot the expressions, but I always find an excuse for blur in their privacy.

What you guessed it correct. Many have suspected it as vingetting.. No, I do not have a shot with the roof, AFAIR it was distracting... As you see from the exif it was sufficiently bright, if not very bright!!
PP all I can say is that my frantic effort to salvage the image - by adding light, saturation and what not- has only worsened the thing.

This is a more normal version of the image here.

Pair by Arun Balagopalan, on Flickr

One more here

Pair2 by Arun Balagopalan, on Flickr

Thanks for stopping by ben egbert. Exif ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/30s

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #9 · Couple.

Your final one with the bike works best for me. It's a street scene so I like having the people in there. The motion blur makes sense for a bike since it will likely be moving at a higher speed than someone walking.

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Couple.

Mister Bean wrote:
Your final one with the bike works best for me. It's a street scene so I like having the people in there. The motion blur makes sense for a bike since it will likely be moving at a higher speed than someone walking.

+1

The two bikes (motion & static) also help suggest it to be endemic to the culture. The opposing direction of the two bikes, as well as foreground vs. background positioning sets them well against each other in context of compare & contrast.

I'd like to have better framing (relative to the windows), but the cultural story gets conveyed better with the two bikes, even if it isn't "postcard perfect" comp.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24 PM
ArunB

p.1 #11 · Couple.

RustyBug wrote:
+1

The two bikes (motion & static) also help suggest it to be endemic to the culture. The opposing direction of the two bikes, as well as foreground vs. background positioning sets them well against each other in context of compare & contrast.

I'd like to have better framing (relative to the windows), but the cultural story gets conveyed better with the two bikes, even if it isn't "postcard perfect" comp.

Thank you Mister Bean, indeed for motion blur bike suits better than walkers.

Serous thoughts there RustyBug, kind of you.
I haven't thought on those lines - conflicting elements of a culture.. It gives me hope as you could find a cultural story in that image... Thanks again,

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password