Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D700 mirror haze

mjh1815

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700 mirror haze

Has anyone else had this problem? My D700 is 2 1/2 years old. Recently I noticed haze/softness through the lower edge of the viewfinder. When I inspected the mirror I noticed near the top edge where the plastic meets the mirror, the plastic is blubbling a bit. It also looks like something has leached on to the mirror surface next to the plastic. I'm wondering if there is some epoxy that is going bad. I know it will have to go in for service but I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen this. Took it into the local camera rental store and they hadn't seen it before. I also checked two other D700's which were for sale used in the store and they didn't have this either.

The degradation is limited to the top of the mirror and hasn't made it to the sensor but I'd like to get it fixed before it spreads further.

Anyone know what it could be?

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:15 AM
mjh1815

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700 mirror haze

Here are some pictures.

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:10 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700 mirror haze

thats really strange, sorry to be of no help. Keep us updated, I've never seen anything like it.

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:19 AM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700 mirror haze

The last time I saw something like this was about a year after Nikon released it's model called the " EM ".. It was the first mostly plastic/nylon parts body released by Nikon to try and battle the competition of other makers lower offerings.

This effect was seen inside due to exposure to heated areas (eg) internal car temps when it was Summer..

I'm not really sure what Nikon's position was on this issue. But knowing Nikon as I do, it pretty well takes a complete magnesium body fracture to except any liability. They are pretty hard ass in their assessments for warranty work.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mjh1815

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700 mirror haze

Nikon LA received it on 11/5. Took a long time for acknowledgement and estimate. When I called, the customer service rep said that Hurricane Sandy had impacted their NY facility so the LA facility was overloaded. Customer service voice mail wasn't working either and no updates to their web tracking system. Received the camera back around 1/7, repaired.

Service rank B2
RPL mirror angle
RPL screw
Replace rubber grip
CLN Liquid damage
CKD autofocus operation
CKD exposure
CKD image test
CLN image sensor
General check and clean
$236.50

If I have another lens or camera repair, I might try APS since I wasn't super happy with Nikon service. I still don't really understand what caused the damage but it is back and repaired and I appreciate that. In the month interim I got a D600 as an alternative so now I have a backup and I guess the story has a happy ending.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:02 AM
mjh1815

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700 mirror haze

It was purchased May 2010 so was out of warranty to begin with.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:03 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700 mirror haze

Just a guess: The camera was pointed at the sun with a fast normal to wide angle lens, and the off-axis image of the sun was projected by the lens of the mirror and onto the rubber membrane at the top of the mirror. The heated synthetic rubber material outgasses and creates hazy deposits on then nearby mirror.
Folks with cloth-shuttered Leicas used to burn holes in the shutter curtains if the camera was pointed at the sun for more than a few seconds.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:13 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password