Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · MFT lens mount and weight question

ShadowWalker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · MFT lens mount and weight question

This may be a silly question but here goes.

I'm pretty new to the MFT world. I have 2 Oly Pen E-PL2 bodies, one IR and one visible. I know I can get an adapter to use my existing Nikon lenses on the bodies. My question concerns how much weight the body can handle .... say I want to mount my Toki 100 Macro, on one of the pens and then attach the body to a tripod. Is that a bad idea? Or can the Pen bodies handle being mounted on a tripod with a moderate weighted lens attached? I know the MFT lenses are very light but I'd love to be able to use my macro lens on my pen.

The Toki weighs 1.19 lb (540 g) and does not have a tripod ring.

thanks.

jeff

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:11 AM
LightShow
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · MFT lens mount and weight question

That lens shouldn't be a problem, I would say that a 135mm would be a safe maximum.

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:17 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · MFT lens mount and weight question

I've used the Canon 135mm f/2 for FD mount without any issues. I've also used the FD 200mm f/2.8, and the mount seems just fine, though I haven't shot tripod mounted with that lens off the end. However, I don't have any issues with the lens hanging off the camera. I do support the weight by the lens when shooting, though.

I wouldn't feel safe with a longer, heavier lens, though, as the m4/3 mount flanges are just pretty small...I'd be worried about the bayonet flanges on the lens adapter, which could possibly cause the lens to come crashing to the ground.

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:26 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password