Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

dkapp2536
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Off the Hook... Please leave me some feed back on the post processing as I am trying to improve. Thanks Dave

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:03 AM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

try it this way for multiple posts

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:27 AM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

looks like it will work this way

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:28 AM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Hows it looking on your end

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:29 AM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

ok lets see

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:31 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

A nice set Dave. Action is frozen nicely, but the whites look blown on my monitor ~ Ron

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:59 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

The third is my pick Dave

Morris

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:02 AM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Water color looks good but I agree with surfnron. White heads are blown out. No detail.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:06 AM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Thanks Ron, so what do I do to get the detail on the Whites? lower the iso? I believe it was iso 100 already. Loks to have white detail on the tail feathers but not the head.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:30 AM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Turn on the blinkies in camera. Then dial back the exposure until they disappear.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

dkapp2536 wrote:
Thanks Ron, so what do I do to get the detail on the Whites? lower the iso? I believe it was iso 100 already. Loks to have white detail on the tail feathers but not the head.

Turning on the blinkies is a good idea. When I have a subject with white on it, I expose for the whites. If you are shooting in either AV or TV, reduce the exposure by at least 1/3, probably more depending on the light. - that's EC of -1/3 or more ~ Ron

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

nice shots, guys are helping you well

Howard

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

acjd wrote:
Turn on the blinkies in camera. Then dial back the exposure until they disappear.

This is a great suggestion Dave. All the whites are too hot. You have excellent captures with your exposure @ 1/1600 in great light I would suggest 1/2000 TO 1/2500. If you shot these in RAW, take the original images and use the recover function in adobe. Process the image and drop the contrast on the whites to get better definition in the whites. This is just a suggestion to improve the current image. In the long run, use your highlight warning function in the camera as was suggested.

Ted

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Ted ellis wrote:
This is a great suggestion Dave. All the whites are too hot. You have excellent captures with your exposure @ 1/1600 in great light I would suggest 1/2000 TO 1/2500. If you shot these in RAW, take the original images and use the recover function in adobe. Process the image and drop the contrast on the whites to get better definition in the whites. This is just a suggestion to improve the current image. In the long run, use your highlight warning function in the camera as was suggested.

Ted

Great tip for all Ted, thanks for sharing!

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Duane N
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Is the time setting correct on your camera? The EXIF data says these were taken at roughly 8am. If the time is correct on these then I have to ask if you adjusted the exposure in your processing steps. I have Eagle images from the same day taken around the same time and my settings were 1/1600" @ f/6.3, ISO 320 using the same camera body and the whites were fine in my images. Just curious what exactly you did to these as far as processing....I have to agree...the whites are blown out and agree with the advice you received about setting up the highlight warning on your camera.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:46 AM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Hey Duane, I checked out the time. Thanks it was off by 43 minutes fast date was right. At 8:56 pm on my computer my camera read 9:39 pm. so exif should be about 7:15 am. Not sure what my settings were. Could you tell me what they were? Thanks. I did no post processing, straight out of the camera. I'm still learning all this stuff. Have some new one's coming tonight. Be sure to tear me up. I need to learn how not to blow the whites. I did have the highlight alert " blinky " on but action so fast no time to review and adjust without missing the action. I had it set to 2 click below neutral figuring that would be enough. Going to try 1 stop below or 1 and 1/3. And I'm not good enough yet to spin the wheels while trying to track all the action. Thanks Dave

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:05 AM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

I need to learn how not to blow the whites. I did have the highlight alert " blinky " on but action so fast no time to review and adjust without missing the action.

Before the action starts, meter on something white in the light you have. Adjust the camera at that time. Periodically, check the metering, particularly if clouds come overhead. That will get you going. If there is nothing white in the area you are in, bring something white with you.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:28 PM
Duane N
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

Your settings were 1/1600" @ f/8, ISO 400, manual mode. As long as the light angle isn't changing I don't worry about adjusting on the fly. What I would do is take note of your settings on these and remember them for the next time you're in this situation. I've remembered where I need to be with camera settings at certain times of the day to get the proper exposure so I don't have to think or worry too much and I can concentrate on the action. Up there I know the action can be fast and furious but sometimes a quick peek goes a long way in my experience.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:07 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

One more note on 'blinkies' they are helpful but remember too that in camera setting such as picture style and contrast will contribute to what you see in the blinkies as this image on the LCD is a quick jpeg interpretation of the shot and 'not always' do blinkies me blown out, they can mean approaching that point as well.

Anyhow, a fine set of grabs, you were good on the action and I hope you get more of it

Karl

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Duane N
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · World Series of Eagle Fishing

acjd wrote:
I need to learn how not to blow the whites. I did have the highlight alert " blinky " on but action so fast no time to review and adjust without missing the action.

Before the action starts, meter on something white in the light you have. Adjust the camera at that time. Periodically, check the metering, particularly if clouds come overhead. That will get you going. If there is nothing white in the area you are in, bring something white with you.

I agree with this 100%. There's a big white building on top of the main structure to meter off of and adjust your settings as necessary. Seagulls who are constantly diving into the water is another good source for a bright object to meter off of.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password