Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Autofocus Speed

gladivs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Autofocus Speed

Hello. I've got two questions about autofocus.

I love my 7D, but there are some occasions where I don't get the keeper rate I'd like. I borrowed a 1Dmk4 once and that got me thinking about getting something better. With the used 1Dmk4 running in the same ballpark as a new 5Dmk3, I was wondering in what order people would rate the speed of autofocus of the 7D, 5Dmk3, 1Dmk4?

Secondly, what are all the things you can do (if anything) to optimize the autofocus from your camera. I understand using a F2.8 or faster lens can help autofocus, is there anything else? Does your shooting mode, like Manuel vs Aperture Priority, have any affect?

Thanks for any insights you can give!

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Autofocus Speed

M vs. Av - no affect

Things to do to optimize AF performance:

#1 to #56 - proper technique
#57 - properly adjusted lenses (check for front/back focusing/mechanical issues)
#58 - camera should be set properly - especially 1D IV's tracking sensitivity, drive/tracking priority and AF point expansion as I learned the hard way this week.

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Autofocus Speed

Well I think the jury in in and the AF performance rankings would be

5D III -> 1D IV -> 7D.

I own all three BTW but I still use my 7D and 1D Iv as much as a my 5D III, even more when I'm FL limited, but the 5D III AF is overall better than 1D IV which IMO is in turn better than 7D. Having said that 7D AF is still very good for the most part, but it can't match the acquisition speed or consistency of the other two especially in extended bursts. I prefer to shoot smaller burst with the 7D and then release AF button and then reacquire focus.

For the 7D I use the following settings for the most part for AF

CFn III-1 : -1
CFn III-2 : 0 or 3
CFn III-3 : 1 Continuous AF track priority

I use the * button for AF with centre point ad AF-ON button for a registered AF point. I have customised it so while I press the DoF button it can change the CFn III settings related to AF. I use Tv mode and auto ISO when doing fast action with shutter speed usually set at 1/2000-2500 in good light. I'll increase this as light drops but usually stay at 1/800 unless the subject is stationary.

I actually use pretty similar settings for all 3 cameras but 5D III offers some more choices. 7D and 5D III are actually more customisable than 1D IV and are a bit more user friendly for changing AF settings.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Autofocus Speed

In my experience, AF on the 1DIV (and 1DIII) is better than the 7D. Also, in my personal experience, AF on the 1DX is better than the 1DIV. I haven't tried the 5DIII, but I've heard it's like the 1DX.

Secondly, the things that you can do to improve AF are many and various. As Milan mentioned, both technique and control are important.

Maybe you can find a 5DIII equivalent for the "EOS-1D X AF Settings Guidebook",
(see link near bottom left of "Master the EOS-1D X's AF System"),
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Angry
• • •
p.1 #5 · Autofocus Speed

I currentl have a 7D,...it does a pretty good job for what it is, however Im looking for better AF for sports/Action images.
Ben tossing up the same questions. I use a 100-400 as my main sprts distance lens & am abiout to acquire a 70-200 II ,..as 80% of my sports stuff is at the long end of the 100-400 Iv been retisant to go the 5D3 route.
Would the FF of the 5D3 make that much difference to the crop of the 1D4 ??
Im looking in the new year to find a pre-loved 300 2.8 & match it with a 1.4 III TC for the range which I think will help.
I shoot Aussie Rules Footnball (daylight but gloomy winter time ) Motorsprt/Wakeboard/Boat racing to give you an idea.
What do you think 5D3 or 1D4 ??
Is anyone using these bodies on a 100-400 ??
Thanks
Al

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #6 · Autofocus Speed

5D3 vs. 1D4 pretty much comes down to FPS for sports. Both offer really good AF and the 5D3 is pretty close to the pixel density of the 1D4 for reach. Just really depends on whether 6FPS is good enough for you.

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Autofocus Speed

This is what I do to "help" AF:

(1) Use a large aperture lens in low light.
(2) Turn IS on when using 400mm and longer lenses for Servo AF tracking.
(3) Use partial focusing distance limiter settings whenever feasible.
(4) Prefocus the lens whenever feasible.
(5) Use Servo AF only on moving targets, not on stationary/still targets.
(6) Experiment with camera AF settings until you arrive at the most suitable one for your application.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:35 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #8 · Autofocus Speed

7d is 1.6x therefore make sure your Tv is 1/(FLx1.6) minimum or you will get the shakes.... unlike FF cameras.

19 x-type AF on the 7d is very capable. Spot AF on all points can be useful. Read manual to adjust AF sensitivities. Many folks tend to go nuts on the sensitivity thus making the AF jittery.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:42 AM
rrxjon
• •
p.1 #9 · Autofocus Speed

ggreene wrote
5D3 vs. 1D4 pretty much comes down to FPS for sports. Both offer really good AF and the 5D3 is pretty close to the pixel density of the 1D4 for reach. Just really depends on whether 6FPS is good enough for you.

Below is a (quick n dirty) composite of a three frame burst from the 5D3. I find its FPS perfectly adequate, its AF fluent and reliable for sports. OTOH the 1D4, in the same half second burst, would deliver 2 more frames to choose from.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:18 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #10 · Autofocus Speed

rrxjon wrote:
Below is a (quick n dirty) composite of a three frame burst from the 5D3. I find its FPS perfectly adequate, its AF fluent and reliable for sports. OTOH the 1D4, in the same half second burst, would deliver 2 more frames to choose from.

I wasn't really saying the 5D3 couldn't be used for sports just that it will largely depend on the shooters preference. I like having the ability to go higher if I want because sometimes my skill level needs the help. Volleyball being the best example I can think of.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:20 PM
rrxjon
• •
p.1 #11 · Autofocus Speed

I wasn't really saying the 5D3 couldn't be used for sports just that it will largely depend on the shooters preference. I like having the ability to go higher if I want because sometimes my skill level needs the help. Volleyball being the best example I can think of.

In no way was I impugning your opinion sir, rather illustrating your point. I sometimes wish the 5D3 had 10 FPS too. I have 10 FPS in the 1D3, but it's relegated to seldom-or-never-used backup duty because the 5D3 trumps it in terms of "reach" (via cropping) especially at high ISO (composite is 12.8k ISO). The faster the athlete or action, of course, the more critical FPS become. OTOH xperience has shown that FPS are no guarantee of that elusive "ideal" frame either. As others have noted, timing, positioning, understanding exposure, the sport, PP, etc etc - in short, the other 57 things lumped into technique - are more relevant

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:47 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Autofocus Speed

I find with an f/2.8 lens the 7d is very fast and pretty accurate in focusing - at least for my uses. It replaced my 1d mark2, and I really don't miss the 1d2.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password