Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Went to shoot a playoff game the other day and got to use my old 1DMark2N with the 70-200 with a 1.4tc on it as a second body. The Mark4 had the 400 on it.

These 2 teams just about play each other every year when playoff time comes and it's always a very hard fought game. Just thought I'd share a couple of pics from the game.

1D Mark2N

1) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-s3f4XTB/0/L/JRLS6953-L.jpg

2) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-Tng88x5/0/L/JRLS6948-L.jpg

3) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-dFqTNNm/0/L/JRLS6936-L.jpg

1D Mark4

This one was taken from the far end 18 yard line with the 400/2.8 on the Mark4

4) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-gr5nzPK/0/L/M4JS5624-L.jpg

5) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-KFd2b9C/0/L/M4JS5780-L.jpg

6) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-cC3kgvP/0/L/M4JS5639-L.jpg

7) http://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-Gz3tcfN/0/L/M4JS5720-L.jpg

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Solid set, Jerry. Interesting choice to use the extender on your 70-200. I've often wondered about closing the gap between the 400 and zoom in that way, but never tried it. What's your take on whether you lose anything in IQ? (And what generation of lens and extender?) Color is really the only difference I see between the two groupings of photos, and maybe resolution, but that's a tough call with these web images. My favorites are 3, 4, 6 and 7, with 6 looking just a touch over-exposed on my monitor. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:55 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Good set, #6 is the best of the group. Would suggest cutting the exposure on it a tad.

Nov 11, 2012 at 07:31 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

great set - plenty of action

Nov 12, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Tareq
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Is that 70-200 mkII?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fish On
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Just my old reliable 70-200 non-IS with the 1.4tc Mark2. Have not upgraded yet to the new 70-200/2.8 II as I don't see a reason to.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Tareq
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Nice, i have 70-200 2.8IS mk1 and it became soft because i didn't send it for service since years, couldn't wait so i bought also mkII and it is amazing, i put my mk1 for sale locally in my area.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Jerry....I agree with Russ on #6 but still a strong set and that MK2n was and is still a tank of a camera. Nice mix of capturing the skill and the physical part of the game.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS playoff soccer with the 1DMark2N and Mark4

Russ Isabella wrote:
Solid set, Jerry. Interesting choice to use the extender on your 70-200. I've often wondered about closing the gap between the 400 and zoom in that way, but never tried it. What's your take on whether you lose anything in IQ? (And what generation of lens and extender?) Color is really the only difference I see between the two groupings of photos, and maybe resolution, but that's a tough call with these web images. My favorites are 3, 4, 6 and 7, with 6 looking just a touch over-exposed on my monitor. Thanks for sharing.

Russ,

At first I was thinking this was a basketball post (can't see the images at work, so glossed over the title a bit). Because I don't have a 300/400, etc., I've shot whole football games and soccer games like this (70-200mm+1.4).

The combo I was using at the time was not Canon glass, so I won't comment on the IQ of those photos. With that said, I found that benefits outweighed the problems. On the long end (this was also on a 1.6 crop), I found this great shooting behind the line of scrimmage to the QB/RB until the action gets to about with 10 yards of the sideline, then it gets a bit tight. For soccer, this combo works not quite to midfield (for me) and for most action between there and the goal. It can get a bit tight if the action comes right to you, so you might not get the diving to the end line to save a corner kick or anything like that, but in some case you can switch your frame to elsewhere. For me, it was really the only option and I found I was able to capture more of the field in both soccer and football than I otherwise was able to do with no 1.4.

I've also used this combo with other sports, like basketball, hockey, baseball and softball. Don't really like it much for basketball unless shooting from up high (stands). Same with hockey, but much more useful when shooting from those locations. I like this combo for both baseball and softball for shooting the infield of both sports. With softball, with the smaller field, this really brings in the nearest outfield to you as well.

Now, as far as working with a 70-200+1.4 and a 400 combo, I don't have as much experience with that, other than seeing other photogs using this combo.

For football, I suppose it would depend on the team and when they are prone to put the ball up in the air near you to where the 1.4 would hurt the close end too much. If they are mostly a running team, I could see the benefits of this combo if they're mostly running for shorter gains and you're going to want something that focused (pun intended) on areas of the field farther from you.

For soccer, I just got really good at taking the 1.4 off the 300mm I was using but with one body I was screwed after that when the play got closer. Sometimes if I was able to use a 70-200 I would take the 1.4 off during play stoppage, especially corner kicks so that I would then better framing when the ball comes in.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password