Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Cam Ranger for iPad

firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Brit-007 wrote:
Way over priced. I have a similar set up working fine with a closed network. I purchased a Zalip battery Router ($70) and created an ad-hoc network.

I get that you can create a ad-hoc network, but that is only part of what you get. You also get the ability to control the camera from the iPad and your ad-hoc network won't do that because you need to be able to write code to drive the camera....if all you want is download, yup you can do that.....but there is value on software that is written and supported and you can't write the software for the total cost of the package......

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.3 #2 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Actually with the app dslremote I can. I have done it and it works well. Perhaps a little more cumbersome but a lot cheaper. I got the app when it first came out and it was 50% off.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:08 AM
jdidomenico
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Cam Ranger for iPad

BrianO wrote:
Unless your displays are color calibrated regularly that is a problem. Not all devices can be calibrated. The best bet is to take a shot, under the final lighting setup, of a standard color reference, and adjust color balance in post. That way, the colors in the final image will accurately reflect reality, which can be important in product, fashion, and architectural work. (Capture in raw mode, of course.)

I use the Datacolor SyderChekr, with the SpyderCube attached for black/white exposure control, and others I know who do work for Realtors use this or X-Rite's ColorChecker Passport. They make getting accurate,
...Show more

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the links tonight.. "Fast and easy" is good. I just got the camranger, easy set up, controls works well... Put it to real use tomorrow.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:29 AM
timothyq

p.3 #4 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Actually with the app dslremote I can. I have done it and it works well....

I looked at the web site but I don't see that it works with the iPad. Are you using this in the field, ie middle of Yosemite, or the June lake loop? I don't want to hump a laptop, but the iPad is light enough to carry.

Tim

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Cam Ranger for iPad

timothyq wrote:
I looked at the web site but I don't see that it works with the iPad.

The iPad uses DSLR Camera Remote HD

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:58 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Cam Ranger for iPad

DanBrown wrote:
The iPad uses DSLR Camera Remote HD

Which needs a pc to be wired to the camera.

Hell you can do that by just using canons software and a screen mirror app .

I've controlled my camera remotely (camera was connected to my pc at home and I was at work ) using LogMeIn

You could say that in effect the cam ranger dongle replaces the computer

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike K
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Mike K wrote:
What is the max resolution available in Live View? I am presuming a high resolution screen can be chosen and am assuming that the output of the camera USB video formatting is limiting. DSLR controller does not use the HDMI port, no?
Mike K

Maximum resolution answer by another FM member in a related thread

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168106/1#11151573

USB 640X480
DP6 display of HDMI 1280X800
Thats a 3.3 fold difference. Lots of display pixels aren't going to save the Live View video resolution if the information simply is not in the Live View USB video feed.

This limitation can be overcome by using a second mini HDMI plug for the Live View video image feed with appropriate rescaling software for Canon and Nikon. To do list for next generation Cam Ranger/DSLR controller.
Mike K

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:36 AM
davidahn

p.3 #8 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Has anyone had a chance to compare CamRanger to Cameramator?

David

Apr 12, 2013 at 06:57 AM
davidahn

p.3 #9 · Cam Ranger for iPad

I just found out that onOne's DSLR Camera Remote has been discontinued due to the difficulty in supporting the software. One option knocked out. It was less than ideal because it required a computer as a go-between between camera and iPad.

In February Cameramator's developer, Wooblue (Usman Rashid), pulled the app from the app store, leaving new Cameramator purchasers high and dry, and the hardware developer Sanho sued the app developer. I see the app is back up, but the relationship between WooBlue and Sanho may be tenuous.

I really like Cameramator's industrial design, especially the hot shoe mount, but Camranger may be a safer bet as the app developer purchases the TP-Link Wireless N Router (TL-MR3040) off the shelf, ruling out any potential legal conflicts with the manufacturer.

May 21, 2013 at 06:33 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.3 #10 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Onones software was overpriced crap ($50 app). You couldnt zoom in to check focus from the ipad while in liveview, only after the shot was taken. The server software was/is buggy as hell and would disconect for no reason. I used it while shooting with one client and when it craped out I went back to usb or hdmi out to a large monitor.

I use xrites color checker but remember you are suppose to shoot it EVERYTIME the lighting changes. You cant just shoot it one time and change the lighting and use that 1 st shot. You have to make a profile for EVERY lighting setup you are using. If your not doing this you are not using it correctly.

May 22, 2013 at 04:59 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.3 #11 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Doesn't hyper sync have a similar product for less?

May 22, 2013 at 05:03 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password