Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Mike K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cam Ranger for iPad

chez wrote:
Why? I can get all this plus a big LCD for focus and review with this product.

Besides the dongle thereis the iPad cost and some way to mount the iPad. For remote control there are competitive products as well as the free Magic Lantern. This one has the feature of generating its own WIFI.

The question I have with these solutions is for a Live View image, how much resolution can one get from the USB port? Would the output resolution be comparable to the HDMI port? Then why have both outputs? The USB can control the camera, but I would guess that the HDMI has a much higher resolution and refresh rate over the USB?

Mike K

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Great questions Mike.
Here is from the manual:
"Live View Images
In live view, the image is automatically updated as live view images stream in. The exact rate is very much dependent on WiFi signal strength and the camera and iOS device specs, but approximately 1 to 3 frames per second can be expected." - didn't see anything on resolution or refresh rate...

Then, suppose you use your iPhone as a swivel LCD. The only swivel hot shoe holder I found is this:
http://www.pocketdemo.fr/flash-dock (However it can't be used in landscape orientation)

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:57 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cam Ranger for iPad

If I'm not mistaken, DSLR Controller can do 15fps live view. Yes it's not wireless but infinitely more useful, no?

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:12 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Fred Miranda wrote:
Another thread about it here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1156249

There is already some competition with about the same functionality and price.
http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherFly-by-CameraMator-Wireless-Tethering-System-TFWD12.htm

Except the last one is still in development.....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cam Ranger for iPad

n0b0 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, DSLR Controller can do 15fps live view. Yes it's not wireless but infinitely more useful, no?

What is the max resolution available in Live View? I am presuming a high resolution screen can be chosen and am assuming that the output of the camera USB video formatting is limiting. DSLR controller does not use the HDMI port, no?
Mike K

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:36 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Mike K wrote:
What is the max resolution available in Live View? I am presuming a high resolution screen can be chosen and am assuming that the output of the camera USB video formatting is limiting. DSLR controller does not use the HDMI port, no?
Mike K

There should be a couple of links in Fred's post on your article about using those plug-in external displays.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Got my cam ranger today (actually it was at the house, but I was out of town) and hooked it up with my 7D first. I will fuss with it tomorrow and then with my 5DII. Some of the controls are obvious and others aren't...but as I get used to it, it makes immediate sense.

Transferring photos from the card to the iPad is very easy and relatively fast. More later....

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Cam Ranger for iPad

It would be really awesome if it could read .icc profile files of the ipad so you finally quickly adjust WB to match what your eye sees while you are there to compare to the real thing and let you all do that in a flash and then get back to normal shooting before the sunset goes down or whatever.

It definitely does not sound like it does for now.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:03 AM
Davideo

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Cam Ranger for iPad

skibum5 wrote:
It would be really awesome if it could read .icc profile files of the ipad so you finally quickly adjust WB to match what your eye sees while you are there to compare to the real thing and let you all do that in a flash and then get back to normal shooting before the sunset goes down or whatever.

Hi guys,

I am actually the developer and had a customer notify me of the thread to answer some questions. First off unfortunately Apple does not allow access to color profiles.

Also, I wanted to make a quick update. The help manual is in need of an update and live view is not only a few frames per second. It is camera dependent and ranges from about 7 to 18 fps. The demo video on the website shows the frame rate and lag on a D800 at about the 1:48 mark.

Feel free to contact me with any specific questions.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:57 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Cam Ranger for iPad

skibum5 wrote:

I checked with Dave at CamRanger and he said that developers do not have access to the .icc profile files......

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Cam Ranger for iPad

deleted

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Davideo wrote:
Hi guys,

I am actually the developer and had a customer notify me of the thread to answer some questions. First off unfortunately Apple does not allow access to color profiles.

Also, I wanted to make a quick update. The help manual is in need of an update and live view is not only a few frames per second. It is camera dependent and ranges from about 7 to 18 fps. The demo video on the website shows the frame rate and lag on a D800 at about the 1:48 mark.

Feel free to contact me with any specific questions.

Hi.

So the ipad won't pass along embedded image profiles??
arrrrrr. The one annoying thing about Apple is the way they are total big brother and have become their 1984 commercial 10x over and lock everything little thing down. The ipad could be sooooo much more than it is if they would just give it USB hosting and unlock a few things.... one day I will probably switch to another brand because of this.

But even if they won't let you figure out the profile of whatever is being sent to it you should still be able to at least just sRGB for the images and have the program download a screen profile into it's own directory. I don't believe there is a way this can be prevented. Then you can apply corrections to correct for the screen not quite being sRGB D65. I've started looking into this part already for something else and it certainly seems to be possible since you can apply corrections and processing to the image bitmap block you can get it to give you access to and I believe that Datacolor already does this with their Spyder viewer or whatever it is called.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Fred Miranda wrote:
Another thread about it here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1156249

There is already some competition with about the same functionality and price.
http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherFly-by-CameraMator-Wireless-Tethering-System-TFWD12.htm

not exactly the same. You need to have the ability to use Secure Digital cards in your camera to take advantage of the Eye-Fi card. If you have anything but a 1D style of camera, you are out of luck.

Supposedly there are SD-CF adapters that are supposed to work. But I have read mixed reviews on how well they work or not. I purchased a 16gb Eye-Fi SD card as well as a SD-CF adapter to see how that works with my 1DsmkIII.

I recently bought and have tried the CamRanger. I really like it...I have tried it with my iPad w/retina display as well as my iPhone 4s. Connection is really easy. Easy to transfer photos, works well. Only aspect that I dont like is the update rate, if your photo target is moving around it jumps around as well on the display. Again a function of the update rate. But action shots is not why I bought it.

Also the intervalometer is a nice feature that works well, even if you disconnect your ipad from it, the CamRanger continues to operate the camera. Make sure you have fully charged batteries in your camera.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:02 AM
timothyq

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Only aspect that I dont like is the update rate, if your photo target is moving around it jumps around as well on the display. Again a function of the update rate. But action shots is not why I bought it.

Will it work for TS lens work. I want to see a very detailed live image to check focus, front to back.

To scroll front to back do I magnify on the camera or the ipad?

Tim

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:36 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Cam Ranger for iPad

firstgear99 wrote:
...You need to have the ability to use Secure Digital cards in your camera to take advantage of the Eye-Fi card. If you have anything but a 1D style of camera, you are out of luck.

Or current Rebels, 5D Mark III, 6D.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:13 PM
adamx12m

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Using the GoPro wifi with either IOS or Android apps in a liveview mode there is about a 1-2 second delay of video. If this is anything like that then action still shots would be difficult I'd suspect. For the size they should have put a bigger battery in to last longer than 3-6 hours. It looks cool but I think a little too pricey for a niche product.

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:54 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Cam Ranger for iPad

timothyq wrote:
Will it work for TS lens work. I want to see a very detailed live image to check focus, front to back.

To scroll front to back do I magnify on the camera or the ipad?

Tim

Magnify at iPad......

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:01 PM
jdidomenico
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Cam Ranger for iPad

I too will be using this for work with my 24 TS-E lens. I have used a small laptop tied to my 5d III but found it too clumsy and too much set up since I don't often have much time on site (I shoot interior architecture of work we have done in homes and businesses). I have tried eye-fi but it is slow and is trial and error since it is not a live view option.

I will receive the Camranger today and anxiously want to get started with it. I have a shoot scheduled for Friday and hope this works well. My main objective is depth of field control and white balance. I have noticed that my ipad3 displays color different than my laptop. I expect to have to spend some time with this to calebrate color to archive results I'm pleased with.

I feel the same way about apple products as many do; the retina display is awesome but the company philosophy in limiting its use by proprietary management is frustrating. I hope this device works for me and releives some of that frustration.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Cam Ranger for iPad

jdidomenico wrote:
...My main objective is ...white balance. I have noticed that my ipad3 displays color different than my laptop.

Unless your displays are color calibrated regularly that is a problem. Not all devices can be calibrated. The best bet is to take a shot, under the final lighting setup, of a standard color reference, and adjust color balance in post. That way, the colors in the final image will accurately reflect reality, which can be important in product, fashion, and architectural work. (Capture in raw mode, of course.)

I use the Datacolor SyderChekr, with the SpyderCube attached for black/white exposure control, and others I know who do work for Realtors use this or X-Rite's ColorChecker Passport. They make getting accurate, consistent color in all the images in a series -- even when shot under differing lighting conditions, using different cameras, and/or by different photographers -- fast and easy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=740518&is=REG&Q=&A=details

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651253-REG/X_Rite_MSCCPP_ColorChecker_Passport.html

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:03 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Cam Ranger for iPad

Way over priced. I have a similar set up working fine with a closed network. I purchased a Zalip battery Router ($70) and created an ad-hoc network.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password