Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

StowePhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

Just curious what--if any--develop settings or presets others are running in Lightroom upon Import.

I have usually opted not to run a develop setting on Import because the range of the images varies so much when importing, say a 32gb card with images over a 5 hr span.

Is anyone using a broad import develop setting that works across a range of photos?

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

Yes! I only have two presets. One color, one B&W. I apply the color one to all our photos. It's one I've made and tweaked over the past 5 years or so. This is the biggest key to a fast workflow IMO.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:19 PM
StowePhoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

Thanks for the reply Tony, That is what I'm after--a way to speed up my workflow.

Do you have any tips on developing a import color preset? I am still trying to master my post capture workflow and any (any) tips would be great!

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

I've got 2 import settings, one for indoor pics and one for outdoors. For mixed images I'll apply the presets after import though.

I've found in developing my presets after importing a shoot, I'll keep a mental note of things I seem to adjust on most images. If I always seem to bump the exposure up on each image and darken the blacks, I'll build that into the preset. The less individual tweaks I need to do the faster my PP work will be.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

Yes... we have a standard import preset as well.

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:21 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

I use one import for weddings, another one for commercial work. I tweak as needed.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:50 PM
StowePhoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

Is anyone willing to share what settings/presets they use on import?

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:17 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Import Develop Settings

I used to do this, but found it easier to just edit the first image of a section and sync the rest; then repeat. The initial import settings were rarely kept.

For instance, I import an entire wedding. Prior, I would have a default import change to all the basic panel, sharpening and calibration panels. Over time, I found that the first image I began to edit would have nearly everything changed anyway.

While I generally use the same array of presets on my images, they often change combinations from prep to ceremony to reception, and all in between, based on lighting changes. Basically, I found that using a single import preset was really just wasting time when I ended up changing everything anyway.

You're better off designing a few presets for the different situations (different types of prep, different types of ceremonies, different types of receptions) and having them ready to apply to the first of a group, that can be sync'd to the rest. Don't forget basic preset settings like different types of sharpening, noise control and grain to correct groups of images. This is the way I do it, and it has made things much faster. I often select a range and "live-sync" them as I edit one image. Selections based on attributes like ISO for controlling noise with a single click across hundreds of images also makes things immensely faster. I've found all this saves an enormous amount of time.

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password