New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Could it be any easier??

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Could it be any easier??

I picked up a Sony RX100 about a week ago as an all purpose, carry it everywhere, snapshot camera. I've had limited time to really play around with it and take full advantage of all of the options the camera has to offer. However, today I did mess around with the in camera pano feature. Just turn the dial on the top to the pano setting, hit the shutter and move the camera and everything else is taken care of. Sure I may not print these and frame them but a fun feature that is ridiculously easy to use. Makes you wonder what the future holds for these small bodies.

Jack

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Could it be any easier??

I love that! Congrats. Looks like a great camera for its size.

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:41 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Could it be any easier??

Nice images

Sony has the sweep pano features on most all of its models such as the NEX etc by the way, and its also not unique to Sony, as Fuji etc also have it, however, Sony's seems to give the best results at the moment

Nov 10, 2012 at 08:11 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Could it be any easier??

Dead right, ASI. I am setting up a memory slot on an a99 just so I can use some of the really good jpeg options in most Sony cameras. Panos done right for a travel photographer are actually a lot of trouble with equipment and time, and often something like this is very usable.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Could it be any easier??

Yeah, Sony, Fuji and most smartphones have this feature. It works well, and is very convenient. I've taken some panos with my iPhone 5 that look quite nice.

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:10 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Could it be any easier??

My favorite feature on Sony's! Don't know why you wouldn't print them though - they're pretty large files that print well up to fairly big sizes.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Could it be any easier??

Vern Dewit wrote:
My favorite feature on Sony's! Don't know why you wouldn't print them though - they're pretty large files that print well up to fairly big sizes.

That is one nice thing about the little RX100 having 20 megs of resolution, even in the pano mode you can still get a pretty large file.

Quite the contrast to my Fuji X100, which also had the pano mode, but the resulting file was pretty small, even smaller than its 12meg resolution would suggest and as such, it wasn't really print worthy.

Certainly with either camera there is the option to just do a manual pano, and have full resolution, but the Sony sweep mode certainly is darn quick and effective.

Speaking of smartphones, I'd really love to a see an intelligent manual pano mode on cameras. My iPhone, with auto stitch, a $0.99 app, can show me the overlap and turns red or green in the frame to let me know when to take the next shot, or Photo Synth, which is free, can automatically snap each frame when the right amount of overlap is detected.

How cool it would be to have that type of ease of use, mixed with the IQ and focal lenght options of a CSC or other higher quality camera.

Again, I do like sweep pano, and its great for casual use, but when its a really nice scene, I'll usually shoot it manually so I can have more control over stitching, blending, higher rez etc

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Could it be any easier??

I like the built on sweep pano mode on the iPhone with ios 6. Makes up to 28 MP files and stitches better than the independent apps I've tried, including Photosynth.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.