FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

For what it's worth, here's my take. I sold all my Nikon gear back in the f3 days, when I felt Canon had surpassed Nikon in areas that were of significance to my markets. Each year Nikon tried to lure me back with new offerings, but, while I still felt that it was a fine product, there was nothing that really tempted me and I was building a pretty substantial Canon system to boot.

Canon languished in bringing out the X, and it became pretty obvious that they weren't going to have a big sensor camera any time soon. I had an opportunity to shoot with a D800 in early May of 2012. When I opened the files on my MacBook Pro, I was absolutely mesmerized by the dynamic range and the out of the box crispness of the files. Add to that the fact that the X body was looking like it was made out of pure unobtanium, and Canon was touting not the camera's debut, but the release of the manual for the camera. I was beginning to think Canon had lost their focus. I immediately saw the D800 as a tool for my air to air aviation work, as well as architectural and landscape assignments. I ordered one within 30 minutes of opening the first test files, and was putting it to work just a couple of days later. Would I have made that move if the body was $7995.00 like most of my pro frame bodies, probably not. But to be able to add a tool like the D800 for just under three grand made sense for me personally. The camera paid for itself on the first assignment.

A few months later Canon released the X body and they delivered two of them to me very early in the production run. I love the X and have a third one coming in a few weeks. I'm not about to jump ship from Canon, I own just about everything they make from the 800mm down, so that would make little sense. I do love the D800 and use it exactly where I thought I would. I have seven or eight Nikon lenses now. I won't be buying any long glass for the D800, because it's not a sports camera and I have plenty of long glass for my X bodies.

So, I love my D800, continued to buy Canon as they released the X, added Nikon lenses to the mix, and I'm perfectly happy. Now I can make fun of myself for shooting Nikon......or Canon.......how novel.

Nov 11, 2012 at 01:08 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.