FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

AFC168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

Hi all,

I've shot Canon for a little while and have a few good lenses. One area I like to shoot is landscapes and think that I need to buy a D800E.

Anyone out there that was a former Canon user who has switched to the Nikon D800E care to comment on his or her experiences?

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

Wouldn't you get more answers on the Nikon forum? Just sayin'...

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:47 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

I think it is absolutely valid to post this survey here in this forum! I am very interested to read the answers and experience from others who made the switch since I am also considering this move in case Canon will not upgrade the sensor in the near future for a reasonable camera price.

Nov 10, 2012 at 09:24 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

I'd put the same poll in both forums. Interesting to see the results.

Nov 10, 2012 at 09:49 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

AFC168 wrote:
"... think that I need to buy a D800E."

The short and shallow brevity of the OP is way vague...
What makes you think you "need" the D800E that you can't accomplish with a Canon?

And lastly...Didn't you already have one? ----> https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1125358/0#10745838 <----

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

I considered adding one to my kit but unfortunately Nikon doesn't have the lenses I'd need to use it the way I intended.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

A poll like this without people elaborating on their vote is useless. Too easy to come into the poll and vote the D800 camera was useless...especially in the Canon forum. People who vote, please elaborate on your vote. Tell us why the camera is excellent or did not meet your expectations. Otherwise you have anonymous useless data.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

jcolwell wrote:
Wouldn't you get more answers on the Nikon forum? Just sayin'...

That's the first thing that came to my mind.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM
pookipichu
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

What if you are a Canon user that owns a D800? There were many more D800s than D800Es sold.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

chez wrote:
A poll like this without people elaborating on their vote is useless. Too easy to come into the poll and vote the D800 camera was useless...especially in the Canon forum. People who vote, please elaborate on your vote. Tell us why the camera is excellent or did not meet your expectations. Otherwise you have anonymous useless data.

You finally see the light with regards to online polls

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

I am a long time Canon shooter, and I purchased an 800E for landscapes with a 24mm lens. Otherwise I shoot my 1DSIII. Hopefully Canon will get their act together and release the rumored 46MP reasonably soon.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

retrofocus wrote:
I think it is absolutely valid to post this survey here in this forum! I am very interested to read the answers and experience from others who made the switch since I am also considering this move in case Canon will not upgrade the sensor in the near future for a reasonable camera price.

The point was that if this is your goal, the folks who are the targets of your question are now Nikon owners rather than Canon owners, right?

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

Considered it and decided to stick to the 5DIII. I dont't print larger than 20x30 so the resolution is not the main criteria. The attraction was low ISO capability. However too much invested in Canon glass and the TSEs don't have an equivalent on the Nikon system. If I were starting from scratch, I'll be very tempted to go D800E though.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

Damn, I was unaware that I "need to buy a D800E" in order to get decent landscapes. I guess I was wrong in being thrilled with the fine overall performance of my 5d3 (or 5D2 before it, or 10D before that, or Minolta XD11 before that...).

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

StarNut wrote:
Damn, I was unaware that I "need to buy a D800E" in order to get decent landscapes. I guess I was wrong in being thrilled with the fine overall performance of my 5d3 (or 5D2 before it, or 10D before that, or Minolta XD11 before that...).

I guess then I need to question why you are still not shooting with the XD11 if you were thrilled with the overall performance.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

chez wrote:
I guess then I need to question why you are still not shooting with the XD11 if you were thrilled with the overall performance.

Feel free.

What seems to escape notice is that it is far more the photographer than the camera that defines how good is the landscape.

I was poking a bit at OP's choice of words "need to buy."

I have no problem with someone saying that the extra pixels of a D800E (and the better DR) will make a difference in the way he/she shoots/processes/prints his/her landscape photos, but "need"? The tiny marginal improvement in anything that the D800E has over the 5d2 for landscapes hardly arises to the level of "need."

Any other questions?

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM
pookipichu
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

In no way is this intended to sound disrespectful, but if you do not own or use the D800E, it may not be fair for you to state there is a "tiny marginal improvement" over the 5D2. From my experience, there is a noticeable and substantial improvement in sensor quality in the D800 over the 5D2, which I also own and still use. Additionally, as a side note, for working photographers in fashion, many clients demand higher megapixels (36MP+). In those instances, "need" is definitely appropriate.

StarNut wrote:
Feel free.

What seems to escape notice is that it is far more the photographer than the camera that defines how good is the landscape.

I was poking a bit at OP's choice of words "need to buy."

I have no problem with someone saying that the extra pixels of a D800E (and the better DR) will make a difference in the way he/she shoots/processes/prints his/her landscape photos, but "need"? The tiny marginal improvement in anything that the D800E has over the 5d2 for landscapes hardly arises to the level of "need."

Any other questions?

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

gdanmitchell wrote:
The point was that if this is your goal, the folks who are the targets of your question are now Nikon owners rather than Canon owners, right?

I don't think so - I understood the OP's question more in a way that many Canon shooters just keep their existing gear but get a D800(E) system additionally with maybe 1-2 lenses for landscape work mostly. Those shooters will certainly not invest in a new Canon camera at this point.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

retrofocus wrote:
I don't think so - I understood the OP's question more in a way that many Canon shooters just keep their existing gear but get a D800(E) system additionally with maybe 1-2 lenses for landscape work mostly. Those shooters will certainly not invest in a new Canon camera at this point.

agreed... the poll choices confirm this overall feeling as well.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon users who switched to Nikon D800E

I'll PM Monito and ask him to critique the poll.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.