FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help with Alaska bear trip

platscha
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with Alaska bear trip

I am planning on going up to Alaska this year to shoot the bears, that is all I am interested in basically is just to see the bears and do photography of them. Could anyone give me suggestions on what time of year is best to go and maybe a guide photographing them. I am thinking of the Kataumie (spelling) are where I have seen such exceptional photos from on here but open to anywhere else some of the great photographers here would suggest.
I am going with a friend and she is just wanting to see bears in all their glory. I remember wonderful shots here on a river and also when someone drove along a rode there. Thanks for any information, I really appreciate it.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:25 PM
K mueller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with Alaska bear trip

Katmai Park is famous for its bear photography. Here is a link to a live cam of the Brook falls Brooks Falls Cam. I watch the bears catch fish here all the time. You won't see anything this time of year as they are starting to den. But if you where here in the fall when the salmon were running, say late August early Sept. you would see numerous bears.

Let me know if i can be more helpful.

Kyle

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Jason Lang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with Alaska bear trip

Katmai is amazing... Also suggest Denali National Park and there are several coastal trips that yield larger griz.

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:30 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with Alaska bear trip

Thank you Kyle, that helps a lot just to know approximate good time to go. Not planning on going until much later or I should say, when the bears are there.

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:31 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with Alaska bear trip

thanks Jason, I have seen great photos here from Denali as well, just have to set a time and would like to find a tour guide if possible

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:37 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with Alaska bear trip

Too late for bear watching at Katmai. Late June/July would be optimum time. There are other areas to view bears in Katmai. Do a Google search.

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Nugget1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with Alaska bear trip

I was at Brooks Camp several years ago in late September and it was loaded with bears. As this is one of the last salmon runs in the area many bears from more remote parts are also around to take advantage of the last great feast before winter. Many of these bear have not been aclimated to close quartes with humans. My big thrill was a false charge with the bear stopping at around 10 feet. I could have touched her with my fly rod. My bear spray didn't work so well. It could have been that my body froze up and I forgot to pull the trigger though I'd like to think I was just waiting for her to get a little closer.

There are not many tourists so late but the place is overrun with photographers. Back then there was a boat you could take from King Salmon for modest fare and camping right there also kept the cost down. If you camp invest in a good tent that can stand up to the wind like a Northface VE25.

Check with Alaska Dept of Fish & Game for best timing with area salmon returns.

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:03 AM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with Alaska bear trip

Thank you Nugget, had not thought of contacting Fish and Game, have a good idea of timing now to fid a photo guide or something like that, I really appreciate all the information.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.