Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Do Markins (and Others) Still use a set screw or do they ...

Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Do Markins (and Others) Still use a set screw or do they use a threaded stem?

I'm just wondering what Markins heads use to connect the ball to the clamp. On mine (in the image below) the ball is hollow and has a 3/8'' slot bored out so you can put a set screw in which is than attached to the clamp.

However, talking to someone else they said they believed that Markins uses a threaded stem (essentially the ballhead has a threaded part attached eliminating the need for a set screw).

Did they change recently or was my friend mistaken? (not trying to prove anyone wrong here but this would affect my future purchases).

Thanks,
Chris

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Do Markins (and Others) Still use a set screw or do they use a threaded stem?

Markins still use just what you have pictured; a female thread on the ball, and a 3/8"-16 x 20mm stud (it's titanium, btw). But, unless you ask them not to, the stud is installed with Loctite, which can make removal problematic. So, with the clamp removed, it might appear the stud is an integral part of the ball.

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:13 AM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Do Markins (and Others) Still use a set screw or do they use a threaded stem?

Thanks for the confirmation.

Does anyone know if Arca Swiss does the same thing?

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:03 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Do Markins (and Others) Still use a set screw or do they use a threaded stem?

I don't know of any high-end ballhead which doesn't use a stud or screw to attach a clamp to its ball stem. If you think about it, it's a good idea to do it that way, in case the threads on the stud/screw become damaged, and it allows flexibility in your choice of clamp. e.g. if your clamp has threads, a stud works, but if your clamp is unthreaded, a screw is required. I'm sure some ham-fisted user has destroyed the female threads in their ballhead, but some real effort would be required.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Do Markins (and Others) Still use a set screw or do they use a threaded stem?

dcains wrote:
I don't know of any high-end ballhead which doesn't use a stud or screw to attach a clamp to its ball stem.

Agreed: stud, bolt or screw attaches the clamp to the ballhead stem.
RRS has one other well engineered feature: the top of the ballhead stem has a + pattern which matches the + groove on the bottom of their clamps. select the view of the underside of the clamp and you can see the + shaped groove.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-40-LR-1/4-20&type=3&eq=&desc=B2-40-LR-clamp-with-1%2f4-20-screw

Why is this important? Have you ever used a Wimberley sidekick? The ball head is flopped over so that the clamp is vertical for the the base of the sidekick to slip in. The sidekick is about 6" long and the telephoto lens foot clamps into it. For the ballhead this represents a 6" lever arm with the mass of your big glass telephoto on the end of it. While carrying the tripod over your shoulder, with sidekick mounted lens, there is a lot of torque on the clamp screw. The clamp screw may loosen and the whole set up will rotate and loosen even more as it rotates. The + pattern prevents accidental clamp rotation, even if the screw is not tight.
Mike K

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password